"Gender Equalty" Rating on Games in Sweden

I don't think its a secret that many games aren't gender neutral. For example, I only just started playing CS GO and I'm really bad so I've been playing against bots to try to get better and I noticed all the bots have male names. Sure, all the characters are male, but why? I don't see any reason why they should be. The characters are of different race, but not of different sex? Makes no sense if you ask me.

I don't know if a rating is a good way to do it, but I would agree that something needs to change to make games more gender neutral. At least they recognize that there is an issue, even if they are approaching the solution wrong.

There is ZERO issue. Actually there is, the issue is that the people complaining about it are too lazy to get off their arse and make their own game with their own characters.

You want female characters? You have every right to stop whining and go and make a game with female characters. That is equality.

female gamers that makes up nearly 50% of all gamers (source: wikipedia)

First of all, Wikipedia is not a source.

Second, that study you are referring to includes mobile games and Facebook games. I'm not saying they don't count, but a lot of those don't even have characters (Candy Crush for example), or you just play as some blob/animal/non-human.

First of all, Wikipedia is not a source.

Second, that study you are referring to includes mobile games and Facebook games. I'm not saying they don't count, but a lot of those don't even have characters (Candy Crush for example), or you just play as some blob/animal/non-human.

Okay that's fair. I will change my source to the Entertainment Software Association who conducted the study..

And yes, although the study included games of any kind, it should be noted that many games are gender neutral. Of the top ten best selling games of all time, I would consider all of them to be gender neutral except GTA5 which I have not played and thus can't comment on. But it doesn't exist in all games and there is a good chance it never will. But I think there is always room for improvement in something like this.

Okay that's fair. I will change my source to the Entertainment Software Association who conducted the study..

And yes, although the study included games of any kind, it should be noted that many games are gender neutral. Of the top ten best selling games of all time, I would consider all of them to be gender neutral except GTA5 which I have not played and thus can't comment on. But it doesn't exist in all games and there is a good chance it never will. But I think there is always room for improvement in something like this.

There is no such thing as gender inequality in video games. As I said, the real equality is that both men and women are free to make whatever characters and video games they want. That is gender equality.

So basically what I get out of this is that a game that typecasts a male as a stupid fuck with no brains and a female character as super intelligent and a hero would pass, but a game that presented the female as a bimbo and the man as an intelligent hero would fail,  and they want to call that gender equality?  I guess there is no such thing as critical thinking in governments anymore either. -_-

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

There is no such thing as gender inequality in video games. As I said, the real equality is that both men and women are free to make whatever characters and video games they want. That is gender equality.

I think that the freedom to create your own stuff regardless of gender would be more of an issue of gender equality within the freedom to write and publish. I'm mainly referring to within the games themselves. But I'm through discussing this. I've expressed my opinion in a number of previous posts in this thread and it hasn't changed. If you disagree, that's totally fine. In fact, I would rather you (and anyone else for that matter) have a differing opinion opposed to no opinion at all. :)

If you're able to go into a shop and buy a game regardless of your gender or create a game with characters of choice, it's technically gender equality in gaming. This is just taking PC and going overboard with it. The sad irony are these groups are taking away creative expression in favor of characters that are tokenism on the basic level which is regression.