Can anyone benchmark Skyrim on a GTX 970 for me?

orangecat

I really want to buy a GTX 970 and I play allot of Skyrim and sadly I can't find any benchmarks because it's an older game. I just want 100% unmodded 1080P ultra 4x msaa benchmarks outside of whiterun. I would also like someone to show heavily modded benchmarks if you can.

I know someoen out there plays skyrim and has a 970 but what im most interested in is enb benchmarks.

I really want to buy a GTX 970 and I play allot of Skyrim and sadly I can't find any benchmarks because it's an older game. I just want 100% unmodded 1080P ultra 4x msaa benchmarks outside of whiterun. I would also like someone to show heavily modded benchmarks if you can.

I know someoen out there plays skyrim and has a 970 but what im most interested in is enb benchmarks.

The GTX 970 will run skyrim no problem. Seriously.  IT WILL SHRED SKYRIM.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

A 970 will be overkill as hell for even modded skyrim. You should be looking at getting a good CPU.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Well he means a heavily modified version of it.

OP, the 970 will handle it with 2k textures and a demanding ENB.

Yea but i use a ton of mods. I have liek 200 texture mods that are pretty high resolution.

A 970 will be overkill as hell for even modded skyrim. You should be looking at getting a good CPU.

I have a good CPU.

Thats what I run. I just want skyrim at 1080p lots of textures and a good enb and still get nearly 60fps.

Thats what I run. I just want skyrim at 1080p lots of textures and a good enb and still get nearly 60fps.

you will be fine.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

you will be fine.

Ok good i just wanted to see if anyone could help me out because i pretty much only play skyrim anymore so performance in this game is a big deal for me.

I know my 280x handles it pretty well, but it would do a lot better with a nice CPU

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

what ENB do you use? Do you also use Sweet FX? How many Ugrids are you trying to load? ARe your INi files and load order optimized and arranged appropriately?

Skyrim is CPU bound and can "use up to 8 threads" but I've never actually tested it so maybe someone else tried that tweak and can tell you about how it went

You won't have too many problems with your video card though, I'd worry more about how you're setting it up

Ive been modding skyrim for quite some time now so i got my load order and everything setup the way i want it. As for my enb it always differs because I cant decide if i want visuals or performance.

I did make my own ENB (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58589/?) but it hardly runs on my GTX 460. I pretty much just want a normal looking skyrim with better textures and some enviromental changes but I dont want the ugrids to go up because i stil plan on playing the game.

I play Skyrim on my computer with the HD texture pack @ 1080p - I have yet to see any issues at all with the fps, and in all honesty, the gtx 970 will pretty much play almost all games at 1080p with all settings maxed out, I know from experience that when I play crysis 3 at full settings, there is no lag and everything looks awesome. And for Skyrim, I found that a gtx 650ti 2GB had no problems, as long as I didn't use the HD texture pack, so it really comes down to what you can afford.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'll have to check that out sometime it looks pretty good! I'm surprised you only got 11 endorsements for that. You can get both if you mix and match with Sweet FX, enb , and nvidia's control panel, even with more ugrids (7-9)

Asmuch as I want Skyrim to look ncie i still want it to be playable.

Currently my skyrim looks like this... but as you can see my fps is pretty close to unplayable for me.

post-858-0-18420700-1415927579_thumb.png

I play Skyrim on my computer with the HD texture pack @ 1080p - I have yet to see any issues at all with the fps, and in all honesty, the gtx 970 will pretty much play almost all games at 1080p with all settings maxed out, I know from experience that when I play crysis 3 at full settings, there is no lag and everything looks awesome. And for Skyrim, I found that a gtx 650ti 2GB had no problems, as long as I didn't use the HD texture pack, so it really comes down to what you can afford.

Well i'm on a budget but I'm willing to wait and save plus I love to tweak games so i need as much memory and fps as i can get.

I'll put up a screen shot of my gtx 970 running, and the safe-side overclock I use (below the highest recorded ones by a small margin).

Edit: Here they are, and the FPS appeared to be limited at 60 in fraps.

post-155575-0-97313800-1415931610_thumb.

post-155575-0-67195200-1415931613.jpg

PMSL

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/09/19/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review/9

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980-and-GTX-970-GM204-Review-Power-and-Efficiency/Skyrim-S

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1443&page=13

Ignore 1080P and only look for 4K benchmarks, that is basically the same with 1080P modded Skyrim.

I'm pretty sure you can run Skyrim with 2K textures(maybe even some 4K) and plus a really good ENB(like Serenity or K ENB).

INTEL Core i7-4790K  ASUS Maximus VII Ranger  CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 8GB 2133MHz  EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti  SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB  CORSAIR AX860i  CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

So it should do well when down sampled, and in all reality, you won't really get much benefit out of 4k unless your using multiple monitors OR a single large screen, if your using a 22" monitor for example, 1080p is perfect.

PMSL

You'll be fine. Skyrim runs pretty good with a bunch of 4k textures (like better boulders etc) on my two 780Ms, and a 970 should at WORST trade blows with my 780Ms... if I OC my cards. 60fps will be no problem with most anything you toss at it; your only real issue might be vRAM with the super large textures, but I doubt it if you manage to get it running the way you have it on a 460 768MB.

I only have this one screenshot from a good while back (my games drive got wiped a while ago; don't ask) but my Skyrim should look similar to this (and I get upwards of 100fps in snowstorms unless I limit it to 60fps via NCP):

tesv_original_2014-02-18_11-26-08.jpg

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I have a GTX 970. Running with a modest OC of ~1450mhz boost clock, on a heavily modded Skyrim I get probably 50 FPS average in dense exterior environments. Mods include (but are not limited to):

• Realvision ENB
  • Skyrim HD
  • SMIM
  • WATER
  • Vegetation/grass mods
  • HD snow mod
  • CoT + ELFX
  • Distance overhaul
  • Better misc. clutter

My CPU is a 4670k @ stock speeds.

I use Vsync, unmodded I get 60FPS constantly.

I just looked at your current system, and everything you said makes sense now! you should probably spend a little more time tweaking :P

I bet you can still run shadows pretty decent if you did some shuffling.

I always try and tweak things around to make it run better but ENB tanks my fps and so does turning shadow res past 2k.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/09/19/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review/9

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980-and-GTX-970-GM204-Review-Power-and-Efficiency/Skyrim-S

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1443&page=13

Ignore 1080P and only look for 4K benchmarks, that is basically the same with 1080P modded Skyrim.

I'm pretty sure you can run Skyrim with 2K textures(maybe even some 4K) and plus a really good ENB(like Serenity or K ENB).

That would be awesome if I could run K enb.

You'll be fine. Skyrim runs pretty good with a bunch of 4k textures (like better boulders etc) on my two 780Ms, and a 970 should at WORST trade blows with my 780Ms... if I OC my cards. 60fps will be no problem with most anything you toss at it; your only real issue might be vRAM with the super large textures, but I doubt it if you manage to get it running the way you have it on a 460 768MB.

I only have this one screenshot from a good while back (my games drive got wiped a while ago; don't ask) but my Skyrim should look similar to this (and I get upwards of 100fps in snowstorms unless I limit it to 60fps via NCP):

tesv_original_2014-02-18_11-26-08.jpg

I know my FPS is largly limited by my video memory because when i disable my enb i get 25fps and when i turn it back on i get 23fps. But thanks for the help.

I have a GTX 970. Running with a modest OC of ~1450mhz boost clock, on a heavily modded Skyrim I get probably 50 FPS average in dense exterior environments. Mods include (but are not limited to):

• Realvision ENB
  • Skyrim HD
  • SMIM
  • WATER
  • Vegetation/grass mods
  • HD snow mod
  • CoT + ELFX
  • Distance overhaul
  • Better misc. clutter

My CPU is a 4670k @ stock speeds.

I use Vsync, unmodded I get 60FPS constantly.

How far can you push the quality settings inside of enb at 1080P? Just curious because i can barely get past low/medium on most settings.

lol you must not have used many mods in skyrim. It could wreck a 970 at 1080p if you do it right.

Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz | ASUS P8Z77-V LX2 | 2x4GB kingston hyper-x genesis @1600MHz | Gigabyte windforce GTX 780 3xOC rev.2 | 240GB kingston v300 & 500GB seagate 7200rpm | 

Corsair GS600 |  1440p Dell U2515H & 1080p 60Hz tv/monitor | Asetek based AIO 120mm liquid cpu cooler