Changing home IP address

Hell Patrol

Hi, I need some help changing my home IP address. The reason being is that my younger brother happened to get ours banned from Twitch. Before someone immediately posts it, yes I have tried ipconfig release then renew, it doesn't work because my home IP is the same for all computers and stored on my router/modem. Any computer in the house is now unable to use Twitch, yes I can use proxies, but it is extremely inconvenient and of course unreliable and even slow, making 1080p 60 video streaming impossible.

I'm asking if anyone knows how I can change my home IP address without A. calling my ISP and having to invent some excuse B. Waiting the inevitable days of off time it would take (I tried leaving it off for a full 24 hours and nothing happened, and I definitely do not have more time than that) to turn the router off and then on again to change the IP. C. Relying on low quality proxies

Yes, I have appealed the Twitch IP ban for the kid as well, but the chances Twitch will lift the ban are pretty slim.

My biggest hunch comes from this page on my router menu, which looks like it might be able to help me change my IP, of course the issue is that screwing around with your router can sometimes make it inaccessible, and the last thing I need is to kill my home internet.

G3Ehkul.png

Is there anything I can edit on this page to change my IP address?

Yes, before someone points it out. I've been to the IP address allocation page, the page is full of a whole lot of nothing aside from turning firewall on or off and "do you want this ip to be public to the entire internet or not"

You would have to contact your ISP most likely.

That page you supplied a picture of is your internal network IP, it will not change your external ip which is what was banned from twitch.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Call your ISP like said above, often the only way to change your IP.

Literally just call them and ask them to change your IP, give them your info and wait until they do it (not sure how long it takes)

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

There is always an easy excuse these days.

Some guy found my ip over teamspeak and now ddoses me when i play games.

When it comes to my isp I don't even need an excuse I just called them once and they just did it.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Unplug /reset your router and plug it back in

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

Use a VPN. There are free ones. That is what a VPN does. It makes it look like your external WAN IP is different among other things.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

There is always an easy excuse these days.

When it comes to my isp I don't even need an excuse I just called them once and they just did it.

They can check and see would be kinda awkward if they did and saw nothing :S usually if they see activity such as a dos attack they will auto change the ip.

Op that is not your ip address, whatismyip.com will tell you your real one. Obviously u have (in this case) the unfortunate fact that u have a static ip, since u said it doesn't change when u reset your router. The only way to change it is by calling your is like everyone has already said. Are you sure u got ip banned? i find it really od for twitch to ip ban i thought they would of just banned the account :S  

They can check and see would be kinda awkward if they did and saw nothing :S usually if they see activity such as a dos attack they will auto change the ip.

Op that is not your ip address, whatismyip.com will tell you your real one. Obviously u have (in this case) the unfortunate fact that u have a static ip, since u said it doesn't change when u reset your router. The only way to change it is by calling your is like everyone has already said. Are you sure u got ip banned? i find it really od for twitch to ip ban i thought they would of just banned the account :S  

Yeah maybe, mine didn't even ask why just did it.  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

i'm fully aware that's not my IP address, however DHCP is usually the lookup procedure from where your router attains its IP, hence why I am questioning it. I'm almost certain it's not a static IP either, but the timeout on it is so high that it may as well be.

Use a VPN. There are free ones. That is what a VPN does. It makes it look like your external WAN IP is different among other things.

I specify this in my post but, in case you don't get it. Unless I pay actual money for a proxy just to watch Twitch streams then streaming what I want to watch out of somewhere across the United States isn't ever a fun experience. I've tried it since the IP ban and it certainly was not.

Unplug /reset your router and plug it back in

I literally specified in the post that this was not an option as I had already tried it and I can only deduce the timeout is way too long for that to be reasonable.

Do some of you people even read the post or you do just see the title and go post suggestions I've already specified within the text that I have tried and provided legitimate reasons why they do not function.

Either way, it seems like I'm going to have to end up calling my ISP or hoping Twitch undoes the ban, the fact that changing your IP isn't a simply available option is stupid in of itself. There's a laundry list of reasons why one might want to do so.

I specify this in my post but, in case you don't get it. Unless I pay actual money for a proxy just to watch Twitch streams then streaming what I want to watch out of somewhere across the United States isn't ever a fun experience. I've tried it since the IP ban and it certainly was not.

Do some of you people even read the post or you do just see the title and go post suggestions I've already specified within the text that I have tried and provided legitimate reasons why they do not function.

Either way, it seems like I'm going to have to end up calling my ISP or hoping Twitch undoes the ban, the fact that changing your IP isn't a simply available option is stupid in of itself. There's a laundry list of reasons why one might want to do so.

... A VPN is not a proxy. It's like a proxy. It's not a proxy. VPNs explicitly encrypt your traffic. Though they can be used for the same thing here. Changing your external WAN IP address. If you've tried proxies, and they suck, try a VPN. That's why I suggested it. Because it's different. They could equally suck, but you won't know unless you try it.

Some people do that. I read your post. 

And there are just as many bad reasons as there are good ones in that laundry list. The reason your IP was banned is irrelevant to us, but one reason IPs get banned is because they are doing something they shouldn't be. Either breaching the CoC/ToS of the website, or causing it harm (i.e. DoS attacks). If it was a false flag, alrighty then, but that doesn't just null the fact that IP banning is useful for a website to do to protect themselves, and that having an easy way to change IP addresses defeats that purpose.

Plus, it's a bit more complicated on your ISP's end to just give everyone a "Renew IP Lease" button. 

Regardless, you are right. Either you use a VPN/Proxy, you call your ISP, or you wait for your IP lease to renew. Those are your options. If you are willing to pay money for a high quality VPN, I recommend www.privateinternetacces.com It's $6 for a single month, or $3.33 per month for a years worth. YMMV, but I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

Good luck figuring it out.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

OP, The page you linked to is to edit your DHCP server on your router which is giving out local addresses. The IP address that twitch sees and is blocking would be like your street address (123 1st Street) This is giving address to each device on your network like the rooms in your house(kitchen, bedroom) so although you could change your local IP, it would have no affect on your "street address".

i'm fully aware that's not my IP address, however DHCP is usually the lookup procedure from where your router attains its IP, hence why I am questioning it. I'm almost certain it's not a static IP either, but the timeout on it is so high that it may as well be.

Ok go to go into cmd and type: ipconfig/all  look at the line that says DHCP if it has a yes it means its dynamic if not it means its static also this will tell you your lease time so you will be able to figure out when u get a new ip if you have a dynamic ip but if u do infact have a static u are going to have to call its the only way afaik.

You'll have to contact AT&T and I will warn you that chances they'll do anything are slim because U-verse ties in several of the various services with the IP that you get so it (while assigned by AT&T DHCP) is for almost all intents and purposes, a static IP. 

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

Ok go to go into cmd and type: ipconfig/all  look at the line that says DHCP if it has a yes it means its dynamic if not it means its static also this will tell you your lease time so you will be able to figure out when u get a new ip if you have a dynamic ip but if u do infact have a static u are going to have to call its the only way afaik.

DHCP is Yes, and the lease time appears to be 24 hours. Since my router has an option to turn the DHCP lease time down to one hour, could I conceivably turn the DHCP lease time on the router down to one hour, unplug the router for an hour, and then have a new IP?

DHCP is Yes, and the lease time appears to be 24 hours. Since my router has an option to turn the DHCP lease time down to one hour, could I conceivably turn the DHCP lease time on the router down to one hour, unplug the router for an hour, and then have a new IP?

you could try that but u shouldn't have to turn your router off mine resets everyday and i never turn my router off.

Since that page appears to be located on the LAN tab, I'd say it probably is only about your internal IPs, not the one on the outside. Especially in the context of the adress ranges shown right above. This setting will (99.9% sure) not help you at all with what you're trying to achieve.

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

The Broadband page should have a release button, try it, but there is no guarantee you'll get a new IP

Twitch banned most data center IP ranges.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

That would show him information about his home's internal network, not about his connection to the internet (through AT&T's network), so changing that won't affect his public IP.

No, that is for the DHCP server on your local network, and has no bearing on your public IP.

Since that page appears to be located on the LAN tab, I'd say it probably is only about your internal IPs, not the one on the outside. Especially in the context of the adress ranges shown right above. This setting will (99.9% sure) not help you at all with what you're trying to achieve.

You are correct.

OP, the only option you have in getting a new IP from AT&T is by calling them and asking for it to be changed, or getting a new modem (abit extreme).

Also, just a note, depending on why your brother got banned, it may not be permanent, so you might just need to wait it out (or use a VPN) if AT&T won't change your IP.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I was always under the impression you can get a new IP by unplugging your modem for a while unless you're actually paying for a static IP address.

I was always under the impression you can get a new IP by unplugging your modem for a while unless you're actually paying for a static IP address.

You normally can, but it depends on how long your ISP sets your lease time (how long each device keeps it's IP before it renews it).

Say your ISP has a 24 hour lease time, and say you got your IP renewed at 00:00, if you unplug your modem until say, 19:00,and plug it back in, you will get the same IP address as your originally had, as you're still within that lease period and that IP is still assigned to your device.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB