I need help choosing a mechanical keyboard

crunzaty

Hi, First off all i can tell you guys and girls that i need a new mechanical keyboard.

I've had the Corsair K60 before and i loved it BUT, i was unlucky and got 2 faulty keyboards which sucked.

Now i'm using my old Logitech G15 v2 (nordic layout)

I play a lot of FPS's and i type like every other guy.

Demands for the keyboard:

Back-lit keys and/or "letters" that doesn't ware off.

Numpad

Quality

A button that makes the windows button not work anymore. (like the G15v2)

I have looked some on the Gigabyte Aivia Osmium. But then again Gigabyte is known for their motherboards and such.

All help will be appreciated! Thank you!

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

Qpad have the MK-85/80, which offers everything, Filco or Ducky can also suit your needs, though they are a little more expensive. If you want something simpler, you could wait for the Tt.esports Meka Illuminated to come out, should be available soon. I would look into the CM Storm Quickfire TK, great keyboard, plus it is small. Another offering from CM Storm is the Trigger, it really depends on your budget.

I will check those out, thanks for the tip :)

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

Logitech G710+? It looks sweet.

I would go for one with brown / reds for fps gaming, but that is up to each user.

I would definitely agree on recommending the logitech g710+.

Great keyboard, great quality, as well as great warranty and company overall.

It's a win win situation and you can't go wrong with it.

i have the G110 and i really like it i think that the G710 would be a good pick

I'm currently using the Coolermaster TK Quickfire brown switches and it meets almost all of your requirements. It's a great keyboard and is pretty cheap for a mechanical one.

Good Morning...

I advise you to check out Ducky Shine 2s. They're solidly built, come in a variety of switches and back-lighting and are available in Nordic ISO. Q-Pad MKs are also very nice and are available in Nordic ISO.

Thanks for all the tips so far. But is there anyone that has tested the Gigabyte keyboard?

I'll check out all of the keyboards on the list :)

I actually have to say that i love the G710+ . But i'm not a big fan of the Gaming-buttons on the left side.

I always press the wrong buttons on my G15v2 right now which is annoying.

I have to check everything i'm typing right now just to see that i've been typing correctly so far.

- crunzaty

Get the Ducky Shine 2! Beautiful backlight with laser etched keys, clean and modern black design, no macro keys as you desired. As well as ability to turn off the windows key, featuring NKRO with backlight colour and switches of your choice.

I should get paid for advertising :(

Yes, yes you should.

I hope i can get that keyboard with Nordic keys (ÆØÅ)

It sounds like an awesome keyboard tho :)

Yes, yes you should.

good thing about mechanical keyboards is that you can change the keycaps

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Yes, yes you should.

Yes i do think they have a nordic layout :) , depends on region.

Yes, yes you should.

Yeah, i actually found it :)

I really liked the Red switches, any other you would recommend that i try?

BTW. Do you have the keyboard yourself? IF yes which switches and LED u have?

Yes, yes you should.

Sounds like you're danish! ;)

Er selv kæmpe 6gv2 fan, men de er desværre ikke med lys. Prøv at smutte ned i din lokale Fona (el. lgn.) og prøv et par mekanisk keyboards med forskellige switches, så ved du hvilken en du bedst kan lide (Der er altid sådan nogle små huller man kan prøve dem i). Anyway, jeg fandt ud af at jeg bedst kunne lide røde, så jeg købte et 6gv2 fra komplett.dk (komplett er som regel en 100-200kr. billigere end Fona / merlin osv. ) og har ikke set mig tilbage.

Jeg har en mate der ejer et Quickfire fra CM, de opfylder vidst alle dine krav (og kommer med alle switches) og så forbandet solidt bygget :P

Edit: Der findes software til at disable windowsknappen, bruger selv sharpkeys til at bytte caps lock med Left Ctrl :)

Yes, yes you should.

Yes, i just got it :P. There was a warehouse sale by the distributor in my country where the keyboard was 25% off. I originally wanted Brown switches with Red LEDs but the sale was so hot that i ended up with a Red switch with blue LEDs, with a matching Phantom 410 with blue fans/led :P

Still love it though :D, If you do get this keyboard do note that the spacebar and shift may feel a little mushy at first, as they've added stabilizers onto longer keys, if you don't like them you can remove them manually but you'll get used to it :)

Yes, yes you should.

Close enough Simonh. I'm Norwegian! :)

I checked the Steelseries Keyboard out and it looks nice. But i would really love back-lit. But i will take this into serious consideration :)

We have Komplett.no in Norway but i NEVER use that store again, they are the most expensive store and have terrible service.

Jeg skal sjekke begge tipsene dine, Takk! :)

Yes, yes you should.

Lukiose:

Thanks for the tip. I don't know if Corsair K60 had the same as that when it comes to the spacebar but maybe?

I actually would like Red switches and Blue LED's even tho my system fans are red xD (I never turn them on anyway)

And i don't think the Norwegian version of the keyboard has a big shift button because we have a few extra buttons in comparison to you guys.

Do you have the stabilizers on?

Yes, yes you should.

There is no retailer in Denmark that even comes close to kompletts pricing.. - dear god things must be cheap in Norway! :O Anyway, from first hand experience I can tell you that the Quickfire and 6gv2 feels very much alike, and the Quickfires do come with backlit keys! :) However, I also switched from a g15v2 (still have it, and it's still functional) and though the 6gv2 does feel even more solid than the g15 (Feels like harder plastic), you're gonna have to look hard and long to find a keyboard more resistant to liquid than the g15 :P

Yes, yes you should.

Komplett.no was one of the cheapest in Norway before, but their service has slacked and their pricing gone up.

I acutally use maxfps.no/se (maybe dk too?) I have been looking at a few of the keyboards now.

I'm stuck between the Ducky, Steelseries, Cooler master and Gigabyte One so far.

So much cool stuff to choose from :)

The Coolermaster Storm Trigger is a good choice It has full red backlight and you can have a choice of Cherry MX black, blue, red, brown and green. But theavailability of these switches will vary based on region. I see Cherry MX brown keys at NCIX.

Product Link: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3089

NCIX Link: http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=71928

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Yes, yes you should.

Yes i kept it on :), it doesn't bother me too much since i double-tap caps lock instead of holding down shift when i type capitals (Yes i'm weird XD)

I know of two places that ship to Denmark which has the Ducky Shine models.

http://www.webhallen.com/dk-da/sok/?Change=1&Text=Ducky+shine&SectionId=

http://www.fcomputer.dk/hardware/tastaturer-mus/tastaturer/ducky/

Now I don't know if you are from Denmark, but I have bought from both of those places, and haven't had a problem. Even broke a cpu pin one time and Føniks replaced the CPU free of charge. (220$)

I personally own the Logitech g710+. Amazing keyboard. Backlight looks amazing, the feel is solid, keys are phenomal, and Logitech is a well known brand. I can highly recommend it.

Desktop: CPU: i7 3770k OC: 4.0 GHZ | CPUCooler: Corsair H100i | GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCU2 | Motherboard: Gigabyte z77x-ud5h | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 gig, 1600 mhz | PSU: Corsair AX860 | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: Corsair Force 3 120 gb, Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

Periphirals: Keyboard: Logitech g710+ | Mice: Desktop: Razer Imperator Battlefield 3 Edition. Laptop: Razer Deathadder 3.5g edition | Mousepads: Desktop: Razer Goliathus Control Extended edition Laptop: Razer Goliathus Control edition | Sound stuff: Bose Companion 2 speakers (Free yay), Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm.

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e540: CPU: i7 4702mq | GPU: Nvidia Geforce gt740 | RAM: 8 gig of some brand | Storage: 1 TB of some brand 5400 rpm | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

The Coolermaster Storm Trigger is a good choice It has full red backlight and you can have a choice of Cherry MX black, blue, red, brown and green. But theavailability of these switches will vary based on region. I see Cherry MX brown keys at NCIX.

Product Link: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3089

NCIX Link: http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=71928

+1 for the Storm Trigger. Highly underrated.

9/10.

Personally I think having macro keys is no harm. I they will only help you in certain games. G710+ is a safe and solid bet and the keys feel keys nice too.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k | Graphics Card: PowerColor 7970 V3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD4H | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CL9 | PSU: XFX Core Series 550W Black Edition | Case: Corsair 200r | Monitors: LG 23EA63V 23" 1920x1080 IPS 60Hz + Lenovo L1700pC 17" 1280x1024 75Hz