A trip through the US, any tips?

BAPEsta

I've been thinking about this a while, I have friends in the US and I've always been fascinated by the US and it's a dream of mine to go to the US. I'm a Swedish Citizen and I have friends who goes to the US quite often so I'll have the whole visa part fixed with help from them, I've already looked at all the requirements and such before.

What I'm thinking is just booking a flight to NYC where I have friends, then a ticket home from LA. I'll have about two weeks to get between these cities, maybe more maybe less, nothing I've decided on yet. I am a big fan of traveling by train and bus because you can see so much more compared to flights, sure some distances you have to fly, I know Americans are big on flying everywhere. ;)

The Route I'm thinking of right now:
Land in NYC
The Atlanta area(friends)
Florida
Texas
Central northern US(not sure where)
Portland
Through California
Fly home from LA

I want to see the "unknown" places of the US, I'd rather avoid big touristy things like Las Vegas and such, I want to see "The Real" US, meet the average Americans and just being able to see the normal life in different parts of the US. I don't have any demands on high class living, as long as It's affordable it I'm fine. 

My budget is the thing I would need some help with, I'm not sure about living costs and all that. What I'm thinking is that maybe 4k USD would be something I could probably save up, is that enough or is it more than I would need? 

I will probably do this next summer at the earliest since there's some planning to do and money to save up before I can even book the flights to and from the US.

I need good suggestions, tips and all that! Do I need more money, do I need more time? Are there any special things that I need to see/visit(No boring standard tourist things)? Good festivals? Some city or state that has awesome beer that I have to try? 

Tell me what I should do in the great nation that The US claims to be!

They're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it's better than drinkin' alone...

BitFenix Prodigy Black / Intel Core i7 3770K / Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI mITX / ASUS GeForce GTX 660Ti DCUII 2GB / Corsair Vengance LP 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz / Corsair SF600 - 600W  / Corsair H70 Push Pull

You should come to the Bay Area! I think you will definitely want more than two weeks to travel across the U.S. My personal suggestion, even if they are quite popular, is to go to as many National Parks as you can. You can find secluded spots, and really get to experience nature in the U.S. They are amazing, and beyond beautiful. My main suggestions, if you can fit it in, are to visit Yosemite, Crater Lake, and Yellowstone. I am an avid photographer, and love the outdoors, so those would be my suggestions. I like your idea of traveling by train and bus, and that's one of the reasons you will want more than two weeks to travel. I would say pick 5-10 places that you want to stay, and stay at least two days in each spot, along with travel time, which is why I think you'll need more time. You may not want to, and even if they are "touristy" disneyland and disneyworld are two other great choices. A great place to stay is the embassy suites, they have locations in a variety of places, and they are affordable and comfortable. Oh and also, you should visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and pretty much anywhere in Monterey or Santa Cruz.  I think this post is a great idea to help you travel, and I am interested in what other people say. 

Accomodation has been the most expensive for my trip. Im flying from New Zealand to LA at the end of the month for Anime Expo and overal its already cost like 5k NZD. Its a long ass trip for me though so I got better seats and its not something ill be doing often if ever again so I picked nice hotels to stay in.

You should go to a travel agent and get a qoute for the entire trip. Then have a look around on the net and see where you can get it cheaper.

I don't want to have that many set locations as I would get through a travel agency, I would want to be able to say to myself "This is a nice place, I'll stay here another day or two.". I'd rather have more of an idea of the areas I'll travel through than the exact locations.

They're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it's better than drinkin' alone...

BitFenix Prodigy Black / Intel Core i7 3770K / Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI mITX / ASUS GeForce GTX 660Ti DCUII 2GB / Corsair Vengance LP 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz / Corsair SF600 - 600W  / Corsair H70 Push Pull

I don't want to have that many set locations as I would get through a travel agency, I would want to be able to say to myself "This is a nice place, I'll stay here another day or two.". I'd rather have more of an idea of the areas I'll travel through than the exact locations.

I still think it would be usefull for you to talk to an agent. Even if its only to figure out a rough estimate of the costs.

If you go to San Diego in California, its a MUST GO to Phil's BBQ.

If you go to San Diego in California, its a MUST GO to Phil's BBQ.

Damn you, now I'm hungry.

If you're into nature and wildlife, I highly suggest walking the La Chua trail in Payne's Prairie. Its a little south of Gainesville, Florida

Damn you, now I'm hungry.

You wont believe what happens every time I visit there. I cry, its.... TOO GOOD :(

When you come through Texas, stop at the Buc-ee's (gas station/everything else) in either Luling or New Braunfels (The New Braunfels Bucees was named best bathroom in America in 2012)! Also you should try Chic-Fil-A, its a chicken "fast food" place, but they're really good, and clean! Also, you should try Whataburger (a hambuger place), its pretty good, and normally pretty clean.

a few people i know have gone to the USA and they said the airport's and quarantine are nuts

Its all about those volumetric clouds