AMD FX-8350 Temperature

Hi, I've started overclocking my FX-8350 now that I have a decent cooler, but AMD's temperatures seem odd to say the least.

CPU is currently at 4.6GHz stable with 1.425ish volts(I think the PSU isn't that great)
I did search and it seems AMD has some crazy way to measure temperatures of the core... at idle mine displays 17ºC and goes all the way to 46ºC when stressing it with prime95, room at 25.0ºC. The motherboard displays 39ºC idle and 57ºC stress

Now I looked around and it seems the safe temp the cpu can handle is 62ºC and at 70ºC it starts throttling. Voltage should never go above 1.55v

I'm not sure if I should consider AMD's awkward temperature or the motherboard's when reaching the the temperature limit, I'd like to try an OC of 4.8GHz but only if I know the temperature is safe!

Specs:
CPU: FX-8350 Black
MB: Sabertooth 990FX/GEN3 R2.0
PSU: Corsair CX750M
RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters DDR3-1600 CL9
COOLER: Nepton 280L
the rest is here: http://linustechtips.com/main/user/154624-jabulba/ not much but improving :)

And here is a pic of HWMonitor during prime95 stress test, just in case it helps! http://imgur.com/n8nZ35n

My stock speed FX-6300 gets higher temps then that for some odd reason, and I have a decent cooler, it's no noctua cooler but it should get the job done.

I don't always build computers with $1000 budgets, but when I do, about 1/3 of the budget goes to Steam games.

Hi, I've started overclocking my FX-8350 now that I have a decent cooler, but AMD's temperatures seem odd to say the least.

CPU is currently at 4.6GHz stable with 1.425ish volts(I think the PSU isn't that great)
I did search and it seems AMD has some crazy way to measure temperatures of the core... at idle mine displays 17ºC and goes all the way to 46ºC when stressing it with prime95, room at 25.0ºC. The motherboard displays 39ºC idle and 57ºC stress

Now I looked around and it seems the safe temp the cpu can handle is 62ºC and at 70ºC it starts throttling. Voltage should never go above 1.55v

I'm not sure if I should consider AMD's awkward temperature or the motherboard's when reaching the the temperature limit, I'd like to try an OC of 4.8GHz but only if I know the temperature is safe!

Specs:
the rest is here: http://linustechtips.com/main/user/154624-jabulba/ not much but improving :)

And here is a pic of HWMonitor during prime95 stress test, just in case it helps! http://imgur.com/n8nZ35n

Sounds pretty normal for the voltage you have.  Don't quote me completely on that, as I have had a few drinks, but 1.4 volts is awfully high.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

-snip-

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ Try this?

AMD temps are weird. I've seen some review sites add 7-8 degrees on top of the temps there to make it align with ambient, but I'm not sure if that's the way to do it. 

From what I've seen, those seem like pretty normal temps.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

I believe the "CPU" reading is the motherboards socket temp and the "package" temp is AMD's weird ass algorithm for determining the CPU temp which is apparently actually quite accurate.

You will still get the same readings for the most part but i recommend downloading hwinfo64. Every time i've got a inaccurate reading on HWMonitor HWiNFO64 is normal.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

The idle temp looks off, if it's 25 degrees ambient in your room then the cpu can't be cooler than that. But your load temps still look good, if you were to increase the difference between your idle temps and room temp to your load temps you would get 54 degrees which is very close to the 57 degrees your motherboard is reading. I would use this as your 'actual' temp and just get it as close to the max temp as you want by increasing the ratio very slowly and stress testing properly after each increase. If you don't have a lot of confidence in your psu don't increase your voltage any more, .3 more of an overclock is not worth frying a component :-) hope this helps

CPU - i5 4690K l GPU - XFX R9 280X l MoBo - ASUS Maximus vii Ranger l RAM - 8GB Vengeance Pro l PSU - Corsair CX750l HDD - Seagate Barracuda l CPU Cooler - Custom Water loop Case - Corsair Air 540 l OS - Windows 7 l Mouse - Mad C.A.T.Z RAT 3 l KeyBoard - Razer Blackwidow Chroma 

Specs:

Nothing wrong with that build. Temps are fairly normal too. I'm at 4.7Ghz with 1.425v and it's hitting about 65C on the socket temps and about 50C on the core temps after about 30 mins of prime95. I have a H80i. Are you using the paste that came already on the cooler?

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Nothing wrong with that build. Temps are fairly normal too. I'm at 4.7Ghz with 1.425v and it's hitting about 65C on the socket temps and about 50C on the core temps after about 30 mins of prime95. I have a H80i. Are you using the paste that came already on the cooler?

Damn, i'm at 4.5Ghz with stock cooler and it never goes above 54 degrees (prime95).

But yeah the 8350 is a goddamn mobo killer and heat spreader, lots of issues with this cpu because it goes above its advertised 125w tdp.

Thats what happened on my old 880G extreme3, that poor old board could barely hold 125w and a 6 core at the same time but 140W and 8 cores?

Also the mosfets on some boards with 4+1 power phase are heating up quite badly, I have a 970 extreme3 r2.0 and it was basically the cheapest I could get that supports the 8350. Had to install a chassis fan just to keep the mosfets safe.

Also did anybody notice how much voltage the 8350 needs? I needed to up it from 1.3v to 1.425 just to get it stable at a 500MHz increase.

Damn, i'm at 4.5Ghz with stock cooler and it never goes above 54 degrees (prime95).

But yeah the 8350 is a goddamn mobo killer and heat spreader, lots of issues with this cpu because it goes above its advertised 125w tdp.

Thats what happened on my old 880G extreme3, that poor old board could barely hold 125w and a 6 core at the same time but 140W and 8 cores?

Also the mosfets on some boards with 4+1 power phase are heating up quite badly, I have a 970 extreme3 r2.0 and it was basically the cheapest I could get that supports the 8350. Had to install a chassis fan just to keep the mosfets safe.

Also did anybody notice how much voltage the 8350 needs? I needed to up it from 1.3v to 1.425 just to get it stable at a 500MHz increase.

If you have the 8350 on anything less than an 6+2 power phased board you will kill it pretty quickly. A 6+2 board will be perfectly adequate providing the mosfets have a cooler on them and that your CPU cooler is good. It is a bit of a guzzler, especially when overclocked. 

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Sounds pretty normal for the voltage you have.  Don't quote me completely on that, as I have had a few drinks, but 1.4 volts is awfully high.

For the FX-8350 that voltage is normal, sadly.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ Try this?

AMD temps are weird. I've seen some review sites add 7-8 degrees on top of the temps there to make it align with ambient, but I'm not sure if that's the way to do it. 

From what I've seen, those seem like pretty normal temps.

I use CoreTemp, it displays on AMDs weird values, I tried offsetting the value with the socket temp but it didn't work that well.

I believe the "CPU" reading is the motherboards socket temp and the "package" temp is AMD's weird ass algorithm for determining the CPU temp which is apparently actually quite accurate.

You will still get the same readings for the most part but i recommend downloading hwinfo64. Every time i've got a inaccurate reading on HWMonitor HWiNFO64 is normal.

I do use hwinfo64 as well, but it also displays AMDs weird values, there is not much a software can do if the sensor is putting the values off.

The idle temp looks off, if it's 25 degrees ambient in your room then the cpu can't be cooler than that. But your load temps still look good, if you were to increase the difference between your idle temps and room temp to your load temps you would get 54 degrees which is very close to the 57 degrees your motherboard is reading. I would use this as your 'actual' temp and just get it as close to the max temp as you want by increasing the ratio very slowly and stress testing properly after each increase. If you don't have a lot of confidence in your psu don't increase your voltage any more, .3 more of an overclock is not worth frying a component :-) hope this helps

AMD seems to use this strange way to measure the temps because it's supposedly more accurate. But not much use if you don't know what to relate it to... I might increase the voltage just a bit more, I can't go above 1.55 so I'll leave it at 1.45, should still be safe!

The thermal take I'm using is Arctic Cooling MX-2, I'm not sure if the one that came with the cooler is better or not, but this one is very good. About your temps, can I assume 65ºC is a safe value?

If you have the 8350 on anything less than an 6+2 power phased board you will kill it pretty quickly. A 6+2 board will be perfectly adequate providing the mosfets have a cooler on them and that your CPU cooler is good. It is a bit of a guzzler, especially when overclocked. 

The Sabertooth should be able to handle the power with no problems! About the voltage, I was able to run it at 4.5GHz with 1.38v stable. It currently runs at 4616MHz at 1.392v if only I could keep the voltage stable it wouldn't be set at 1.42v, running at 1.428v when idle
The mobo has 8+2 power phases and a heatsink so that's ok

Finally Thank you all for the help, I'll try to go for a stable 4.8GHz when my Cosmos II case arrives. This is not a new build by any means, it was rushed when my old PC died mode than a year ago, I had little money and the sabertooth to spare. So now that I have a job I can finally upgrade it :D

Now, if only I could mark more than one post as the answer, because really, it was the combination of them that helped!

Your temps are fine. 

I have gotten a fx-8150 to 4.75ghz at 1.45v with max temps on a 15 min prime95 of 75 degrees using a h100 

1.38v should net you 4.8 like you said. 

For what its worth.  Overclocking the Fx series chips is a dream and you seem to be doing fine. 

The "CPU" reading under the 'Temperature' tab is the...more accurate one. At least that's what I use for my FX-8350.

Depending on your overall case airflow, and ambient (room) temperature, 38*C idle and 58*C are normal and expected.

Adjust the CPU Load-Line-Calibration so you get the most consistent Core Voltage AND the voltage compensation won't go too overboard (i.e. you get the Core Voltage at 1.39V, and LLC bumps it up all the way to 1.45V is too high). 

CPU overclocking results will vary...but...I'm pushing 4.8GHz with 1.4V on the FX-8350 here.

Side: Your HWMonitor picture there seems a little shy on readings -- at least, compared to mine :ph34r: . What version of HWMonitor are you using?

(i.e. CPU/NB voltage, DRAM voltage...SB and NB temperature readings, etc)

xWXzVHq.png?1

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>