How mobile i7 CPUs work (information guide)

11 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Now when you need cooling, use Warp 9 mode.

It shouldn't go to low then back to max when forced to max. Also, your fans only hit 80% max speed on "auto". Warp 9 will cool better than auto, without a doubt.

Listen from 1:11 on..

Recording (3).m4a

It's slightly quiet because of noise cancelling.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.91 GHz RAM: G.Skill 4x4GB 2133Mhz DDR3 GPU: AMD HD 7970 3GB SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB PSU: Corsair HX620W  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Case: Phanteks P400 Tempered Glass (Black) Monitor: Dell P2412H, Dell 2012H Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic Mouse: Logitech G203 Prodigy HDD: WD Black 3TB

22 hours ago, PokeCatz said:

It has an i7 4700MQ

When running cinebench r15 I can get it to turbo to 3.17 GHz at like 80 C. RIP. However I have never reapplied the thermal paste in my 3 years of using it so... It has 627 cinebench incase you were wondering.

I remember before launch how many people were saying how power efficient Haswell was going to be and wouldn't be convinced otherwise. Shame really that it gets so power hungry and hot since Intel opened the door on some of those like the 4700MQ.

CBR15 i7-4700MQ

891.png

Also remember some funny comments

WWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTT????????????

There is no power brick on this planet powering any laptop with an i7-4700MQ that cannot let it overclock, because when the CPU alone is running, it draws less power than a video card does. That is a ridiculous statement.

Next, a 4700MQ cannot run at 3.5GHz on all 4 cores. It is physically impossible, as its default 4-core turbo is 3.2GHz and it has a max OC allowance of +200MHz so 3.4GHz is the highest you can go. This also makes it impossible to ever even halfway dream about 5GHz. Unless you're Dufus, apparently.

i7-4700MQ at 5GHz :P

xq8v44.png

AWOL

5 minutes ago, X_X said:

I remember before launch how many people were saying how power efficient Haswell was going to be and wouldn't be convinced otherwise. Shame really that it gets so power hungry and hot since Intel opened the door on some of those like the 4700MQ.

xq8v44.png

Yeah, from the day haswell was launched I saw people complaining about power. Haswell is only efficient at low core counts and low clockspeeds. For example, at 1.6GHz on my 4800MQ I can run benchmarks like TSBench using 15W of power. All 4 cores/8 threads active and used to 100%. But over 3GHz? That efficiency goes out the window.

As far as the microcode bug abuse that gets your 4700MQ to 5GHz, I know about it. Good for benchmarks, probably less so for everyday usage. I'm specifically not going to add that in the guide though; though technically I know where to find it. Intel seems to send cease and desist orders to people who wanna make it publicly available, apparently.

But yeah, there isn't a power brick for a laptop sold with a 4700MQ that could handle one of those things at 4.4GHz+ under stressful usage with whatever GPU was sold with the machine. If you got a 330W brick and used it on a single-GPU laptop that sold with a 240W? Sure. But the laptop didn't sell with it. If you got a 330W brick and used it on a SLI laptop? You're probably still gonna run outta power when both cards are stressed, because those things pull 100W+ easily.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

1 hour ago, D2ultima said:

Yeah, from the day haswell was launched I saw people complaining about power. Haswell is only efficient at low core counts and low clockspeeds. For example, at 1.6GHz on my 4800MQ I can run benchmarks like TSBench using 15W of power. All 4 cores/8 threads active and used to 100%. But over 3GHz? That efficiency goes out the window.

As far as the microcode bug abuse that gets your 4700MQ to 5GHz, I know about it. Good for benchmarks, probably less so for everyday usage. I'm specifically not going to add that in the guide though; though technically I know where to find it. Intel seems to send cease and desist orders to people who wanna make it publicly available, apparently.

But yeah, there isn't a power brick for a laptop sold with a 4700MQ that could handle one of those things at 4.4GHz+ under stressful usage with whatever GPU was sold with the machine. If you got a 330W brick and used it on a single-GPU laptop that sold with a 240W? Sure. But the laptop didn't sell with it. If you got a 330W brick and used it on a SLI laptop? You're probably still gonna run outta power when both cards are stressed, because those things pull 100W+ easily.

When you have a 90W Brick. At least there is no GPU in my system as it is a workstation laptop.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.91 GHz RAM: G.Skill 4x4GB 2133Mhz DDR3 GPU: AMD HD 7970 3GB SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB PSU: Corsair HX620W  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Case: Phanteks P400 Tempered Glass (Black) Monitor: Dell P2412H, Dell 2012H Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic Mouse: Logitech G203 Prodigy HDD: WD Black 3TB

• 3 weeks later...
On May 3, 2016 at 8:26 PM, X_X said:

CBR15 i7-4700MQ

891.png

Also remember some funny comments

xq8v44.png

Wait how are you cooling 1.5V quad core HT at 5GHz? Like my 4700mq is at 80c at stock.

2 minutes ago, PokeCatz said:

Wait how are you cooling 1.5V quad core HT at 5GHz? Like my 4700mq is at 80c at stock.

He isn't. That's more than likely a validation shot, or enough for one small benchmark. There's tricks, like blasting A/C at the heatsinks while the laptop is off then starting it, applying the OC/OV, running bench, removing OC/OV before overheat.

As far as I know, there's no laptop on this planet that can realistically cool a haswell socketed CPU at those kinds of speeds. 4.5GHz in an AW18 with CLU and a decent chip? Sure. A HEAVILY modified Clevo with lapped heatsinks, CLU, max fans, modded vent intakes, and a coolish area? Sure; maybe you make 4.6GHz even. 5GHz? Nah.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

• 2 years later...

Well I finally got an HQ to play with although a few years late but it's the thought that counts and I was thinking of you :)

Pretty much as expected

Unlimited.png.5801aebcf997e34124f080b385b0c6ad.png

1 hour @ 100W with Firestarter. FWIW adaptive mode with AVX increasing VID from 1.1V to 1.185V. No PECI firmware to hold the CPU back.

100W-1H.thumb.png.ccb4d9a124a1ef566b8adc2a6dea6e87.png

AWOL

16 hours ago, X_X said:

Well I finally got an HQ to play with although a few years late but it's the thought that counts and I was thinking of you :)

Pretty much as expected

Unlimited.png.5801aebcf997e34124f080b385b0c6ad.png

1 hour @ 100W with Firestarter. FWIW adaptive mode with AVX increasing VID from 1.1V to 1.185V. No PECI firmware to hold the CPU back.

100W-1H.thumb.png.ccb4d9a124a1ef566b8adc2a6dea6e87.png

Oh that's pretty interesting, is it in a desktop? I know of no laptops that could handle that kind of power draw at those temps for an hour from that generation.

@D2ultimaYes, thanks to our Chinese entrepreneur's. You can see under sensors MSI Z97 G5 but not obvious at first glance if not looking for it. BCLK straps work and can be fully unlocked ratio wise too but for this chip not really necessary if using 125MHz strap. Same old frequency walls and same hunger for power and voltage, perhaps this one a little better at 4GHz but otherwise seems they are all much the same. :/

AWOL

On 1/9/2019 at 1:08 PM, X_X said:

@D2ultimaYes, thanks to our Chinese entrepreneur's. You can see under sensors MSI Z97 G5 but not obvious at first glance if not looking for it. BCLK straps work and can be fully unlocked ratio wise too but for this chip not really necessary if using 125MHz strap. Same old frequency walls and same hunger for power and voltage, perhaps this one a little better at 4GHz but otherwise seems they are all much the same. :/

yup I knew it had to be a desktop xD.

It's not the first time I saw a desktop doing something like that but unfortunately in laptops they're just a waste of existence.