You know you're a techie when. . .

When you have a bin full of spare parts...

When you have the never ending urge to overclock everything...

Having people who'm you've never met come up and ask you for pc related advice

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

When you run debian with xfce sharing the linux kernel with android and get 100% of your tablet's performance unlike vms

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

When your 13 years old and have a hold of computer engineering textbooks from university.

When u say this to your friends "i always put every single of graphic options on the right side!...... U don't?"

Same here, especially if its a gamming rig that's more expensive then my own-saw a rig at the shop I bought the parts for my computer, it had an i7 with a 750W PSU and a gtx 650 and 16GB of RAM for $1700, while mine which has an i5 with a 500W PSU, the same drives and addons, 16GB of RAM plus a gtx 650 ti boost only cost me a little over $1000, with windows 7 pro included.

To be fair, they need to make a profit on a product that not a lot of people are purchasing, and even fewer people would be purchasing from them most likely.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

To be fair, they need to make a profit on a product that not a lot of people are purchasing, and even fewer people would be purchasing from them most likely.

That's just it, they were the same people that built my rig-which ended up needing thermal paste on the cpu heat sink as somehow the stock cooler had none, all I need now for it is an explanation to its 1.774 vcore, its not like the cpu even overclocks (i5 4440).

And this is another sign-loads of very old pc parts:

http://prntscr.com/55v34r

http://prntscr.com/55v2ds

http://prntscr.com/55v3co

http://prntscr.com/55v3ix

http://prntscr.com/55v3p4

http://prntscr.com/55v3wh

http://prntscr.com/55v426

http://prntscr.com/55v2p6

http://prntscr.com/55v4jv

Note: I can make a computer with all of the mobo that will turn on and get to the MS-DOS screen with the 85MB HDD, only the lack of a serial keyboard is stopping me from using them.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

When you are the last one to start playing at you and your friend's LAN

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

when your schools IT guy is one of your best friends

when your dad is also an enthusiast

when your class is filled with console peasants and you show them the heaven (#PCMasterRace)

when every teacher begs for your assistance

when you build your friends computers and teach them about them

when you get mad when your friend buys components without asking your opinion

when you get all the old computers from school or from your parents work

when you have a wall of old computer cases in your room/house

when your mom says to get of your ass and do something else

when your friend brings his laptop to school and you get cancer from all the shit in it

when you demand that your friend reinstalls windows

when you slap your friend when he buys an AMD gpu

when you kick your friend in the face because he decided to buy a mac

when your friends start to slowly understand your tech language

when you make a necklace from an old pentium 4 

when you have a shitton of old 128mb ram 

when you make mirrors/frisbees out of your old harddrives

when you make a full format to your thumbdrive

when you call your thumbdrive something cool

when you bring a presentation to school with a 128 gb thumbdrive

when you clean your friends computer everytime you visit him

when a girl starts to talk about computers and you understand that she is completly wrong, but you don't correct her because she might think you have no life

when you brag that you can play crisis on ultra

when you still play CS 1.6 after all these years

when you tell your friends that you have a life but actually you don't

when your mom starts to yell at you because your room is filled with too many computers

when you say to your friends that you're going to buy 2x 980

I think i'm a bit techie and I have a life (no i don't)

CPU:Intel® Core™ i7-4690K  MOBO: Asus Z97 PRO  RAM: 16GB Kingston GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 980 CASE: Cooler Master SSD: Samsung EVO 850 240GB  HDD: 2TB WD Red PSU: CX750M  CPU COOLER: 212 Evo CASE FANS: Cooler Master

when you stop using an optical drive :P

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

When your parents never know what the hell you are talking about and just nod as you speak.

This is so true!!

when you stop using an optical drive :P

What's an optical drive?

post-104353-0-82668600-1415915852_thumb.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

when you get irked when somebody refers to a USB flash drive as a "zip drive" upon which you wish to slap them with a floppy disk and explain that it is a 100MB+ floppy disk in a zip drive, not a USB flash device.(this was today)

when you believe that any computer without at least 2 USB 3.0 ports, a Displayport 1.2 port/thunderbolt port, and a gigabit ethernet port is severely defficient in I/O, as that with a few usb 2.0 ports and audio jacks is really all you need in life.

you actually know what lightpeak is (precursor to thunderbolt that was originally designed for use with optical cabling.

spotting a OnePlus one in the wild gets you excited to meet another person who is an android enthusiast.

whenever you see or hear of a new tech gadget you consider whether or not you need one.

anything electronic needs to run faster than standard, as any engineer worth their stuff overengineers everything a little bit. CPU, GPU, RAM, Monitors, and even Cell Phones are all fair game.

When you have a box full of VGA, DVI, HDMI, power calbes, sata cables, molex adapters, and other assorted cables.

When you have a closet full of cardboard boxes from past purchases.

When you own multiple cans of compressed air.

When you have a bag full of zip-ties and screws for multiple parts of your PC.

When you're on the LinusTechTips forum instead of working like you should.

I have the issue that my closet is not that big, so all the boxes are slowly bleeding into my room... I think I have a problem...

When all you think about in your spare time is working on tech

When windows you start feeling the limitations of windows (experimenting with zorin 9 distro liked it for the 20 mins I had with it)

When you take a old PC, and the previous owner asks "what are you planning to do with it?" and you lose them after one sentence.

When the idea of having to use a program just to transfer over music onto a phone angers you

the moment you know the names of PC parts

the moment you know what a BIOS is

MoBo: 970A-D3P CPU: FX-8350 GPU: HD 7950 PSU: 1000watt RAM:8Gb of G,skill 1600

when you have a PC with no crapware/malware...

when you get pissed if you don't have full control over a machine...

These two are critical to me. My younger siblings have an old hp pavilion that I slapped a GT 740 into and they download stuff without even thinking. Now, they get popups to download "java" on certain sites and it pisses me off because they treat personal information and computers like junk. Viruses are not a joke.

The second one makes me a little less pissed. I am currently on the macbook air that my high school gave to each of the students. I personalized it, but to a certain extant. I can't even get steam because the firewall blocks it from accessing the internet, even at home. LTTF and youtube are the only things I can use on this thing. 

私はピザが大好きだよ。
CPU: i5 4670k - GPU: Twin Frozr GTX 760 - Mobo: Msi Z87 G45 - Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 - PSU: CX600M - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - Case: Fractal Design Define R4 - OS: Windows 8.1

When you bring to school:

A laptop

A mechanical keyboard

A expensive gaming mouse(just because)

A tablet

3 USB drives

A USB key

A External SSD Drive with multiple Linux distros

A Nintendo DS(If you consider it)

A LED Flashlight

Magnetic screwdrivers

A power strip

A external battery for your phone

Millions of chargers

Earbuds and Over The Ear Headphones

and to fit it all I have the Targus Drifter 2 backpack

Sound like me  :P

When you think abbreviations that arn't tech related are :D Then argue they are to the none techies....

You automatically wake up during the early hours to remove the babaji spam from your forum. :wacko:

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

You have used multiple Linux distros

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

I just took apart my Teachers old hunking laptop (I swear, it must be 15+ pounds and it had XP) to find the reason that she couldn't connect to the internet.

All it took was connecting a Ethernet cable to it.

Because he had a hard drive.

When you read through this whole thread and agree with mostly everything!

'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'