You know you're a techie when. . .

When you have multiple extra computer parts laying around, boxed or unboxed.

When you have a closet half full of boxes full of disassembled electronics and old broken things, ready for your "super cool custom device to do everything......

....Never actually building that super cool custom device to do everything. 

Multiple large size flash drives that have like, 1gb of data on them or an operating system ready to instll

An messy desk, on which everything is its place, on which you also know where everything is precisely located and within reach according to frequency of use. 

You have a mini portal turret and a lego model on top of your tower. 

Go to best buy and follow around an associate and wait for them to tell a customer how uber that whatever is, then stepping in after they walk away and telling them that this other thing is actually better, and talk intelligently about it like you ACTUALLY know something about technology. 

I am whatever I am. 

That's cool and not cool, lol.

I mean if it's true, then that's a pain in the ass. Does he know about this kind of things? Tell him the sli is better than the 970 :P

He was the one who taught me and always drops 3-4k every 3 years to upgrade. He wants a sli 970 to justify my one! 

He is into games like civ. Hes not being serious though! 

Actually now that i think about it, hes sorta upset that i have haswell instead of the one before... muhahahaha. My family always tease each other about who has the better part.

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

Dude from the corsair booth at PAX says the systems they're giving away have $1000 graphics cards in them. Opens dxdiag and they're running a single 980. Top kek m3n

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I bring my laptop and a mechanical keyboard along with a cd holder with all my software when ever I got to a friend's house I also check the specs of every electronic I am on at the time.

That doesn't work for me.... 

Me: Dad, im getting a asus strix gtx 970 next year.

Dad: No. 

Me: Why?

Dad: because the rule is you can't buy something better than me without buying me something better first. 

Me: ....

(he has two 660's in SLI)

He is joking right?

If he is, then you have an awesome dad. If he isn't, well, I feel sorry for you.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

When you slowly turn your friends into techies

I've turned at least two of my friends

Lord Pantaloons, on 30 Nov 2014 - 7:32 PM, said: If Lawrence leaves his house and travels at a constant 40 MPH. How long will it take Bill from next door to shove a banana up his mom's rectum?

FX-6300Gigabyte R9 270X 4 GB OCWD Blue 1 TBCorsair Carbide 300RArctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev. 2Silverstone Strider Essential 500WAsus M5A97 R2.0Dell P2314HYamaha HTR-5740Mordaunt-Short Avant 309iSuperlux HD-668 BCooler Master CM Storm Quickfire UltimateGigabyte M6900Oneplus One 64 GB

He is joking right?

If he is, then you have an awesome dad. If he isn't, well, I feel sorry for you.

Yeah.

I have to buy him two 970s.

I can have the 660s. 

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

Whenu say something taht no one undestands and then u have to make them understand for 5 minutes and they say "say it again".

THE LITTLE DEVIL : i5 4690k on NOCTUA NHD15

Asus z97 sabertooth mark 2 

WD black 1TB & WD Green 2TB HDD, Samsung 840 Evo 240gb & Hyperx 240gb SSD 

RAM- Corsair vengence 16gb and hyperx fury 8gb

PSU-Seasonic sII 620 wtt power supply

PErPHERaLS: Logitech g403 mouse, Redgear cherry MX brown switches, Logitech gamepad f310,Cosmic byte XXL RGB mousepad 

Audio: SennheiserHD 558 and antlion mod mic

PHOnE: Realme 3 pro 

When you unbox things with waay to much care & detail...& like the smell of the box somehow

When you sit through a benchmarking process

When you do double checking before you start up the PC :/

Details separate people.

A cute girl says you smell like red bull and your response is "I don't smell like HTML"

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

when you get weird looks for talking about new tech

when you get mad that you can't access CMD

when you can easily fix a software issue

having more USB drives than USB ports

just make a simple batch file and it should by pass that issue xD

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

When you got a job at a computer repair shop as a bench tech when you were 16 and still have it when you are 17

When you never have enough desk space

When you use BOTH PC and Mac, but really prefer PC because Mac limits your every move

When you can only tolerate using OSX for school and music

When you will take any tech offered to you, no matter how old or crappy it is

When you have no malware/crapware on your machine

When your RIG is colour coordinated

When your entire desk is colour coordinated

when you can look in any direction and see any number of spare computers that may or may not work

When you have multiple phones

When  you always have to have monitoring software on your PC to always know the status of your machine

When you bring your own computer to school/work because you hate the ones there

When the first thing typed into your browser on a new install of windows is "Chrome"

When you spend most of your free time on a tech forum helping the others

When random people at your school you have never met come to you for help

When someone you havent seen in months asks you for help

When you come up with this many ideas for "you know you're a tech when" lines

When you can't stop making these

When you---- Okay......

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

When you have it on your school's management system for every teacher to see that your the goto guy.

you bring your own mechanical keyboard when you help a friend overclock his PC

you wear a usb drive on your wrist with the latest Ubuntu release

I'd like to hear your stories. see if I share any of the experiences.

When was i trying to find the power button and still i couldn't find it

when you have a better pc then the local pc store that tries to fix your pc and you point out the problems eventhough the guy most likely has 10+ more years experience then you and still can't fix it.

When you don't have friends at IT Scholl, cause everyone doesn't know why they are here

When friends come to you to repair their thorn headphones.

When you are searching for IT job at age of 16.

When you have obtained IT guys pass to grades site thanks to dumb firefox (LoL. That lack of words)

When you start talking about your PC specs and your friends are just 'water fak??!!'

Ahahaa.. Happens almost everytime. I don't know why coz i think there are a lot of people can build a similar PC just like mine but they just don't want to spend their money only for PC

Some things:

-have multiple laptop batteries

-have adware cleaner on a usb

-get annoyed at people using their computers incorrectly

Desktop: 16gb Ram, i7-2600k, GTX 560 OC.    Laptop: i7, 8gb DDR3, 840m GPU

Server 1 (Files and AD): i3 3220, 4gb DDR3, 1TB Western Digital Blue, Overkill motherboard I got for free (better than main computer) changed to xeon, don't remember exactly what but xeon version of the processor  and 8gb ECC Ram   Server 2 (games): 8gb Ram, i5, Geforce 710m

You know you're a techie when

You walk by an electronics retailer like Best Buy or Sofmap and you always give the most grating sneer, thinking to yourself "huh, filthy casuals"

People (Including your own parents, YOUR OWN FAMILY) blame you for everything that goes wrong with their computer whilst simultaneously having about a dozen toolbars on their web browser.

You have hard drive after broken hard drive sitting on your desk waiting to be useful for something (like fridge magnets) or just thrown away.

You are incapable of clearing all the tech stuff on your desk because you're used to it now, you know where everything is and you don't want to change it.

regardless of financial situation, you always have this urge, this impulse, to build a computer. Admit it, you know it's true, and you know you know it's true. You try to restrain it by focusing your mind on just tweaking other computers that you happen to come across, but eventually AARRGHH you give in and end up spending all your money on building a computer just to build a computer.

Every time you go to an office or a school somewhere and you are sat in front of one of the computers, you look up the system specs and sit there driveling to yourself about how pathetic the hardware is...

You have at least one USB to SATA adapter.

You overclock your laptop's GPU to 1.5GHz.

you have a slowly increasing collection of hard drive magnets... scattered around the room.

You rig your computer up to play Wii games regardless of whether it's actually capable of playing the Wii games at playable rates, just because you could.

You have a set of Eneloops. Filthy casuals do not know about how wonderful Eneloops are.

You have adapted a case fan to a USB cable.

You bring your SSD-powered laptop to school just because it's a billion times faster than the crap that they use.

You have a mechanical keyboard.

You have Cyanogenmod on your Nexus 7

when you get mad that you can't access CMD

Make a batch file that says

echo on

cmd

echo off

That bypasses the restriction on the command line. I've tried it on two school systems and it works every time, and it's undetectable unless someone is actually  watching you.