IPS vs TN panels for gaming

anton98

Uuuh....VA doesn't have faster response times than TN?

120hz VA... they exist, who wants a TN at any hz?

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

I do. The poor response times of the pixels of any IPS or VA panel mean that if you run it at these OC'd higher refresh rates, you'll end up with the pixel being in a transition state for long periods of time making the image look blurry. For clear high framerate gaming, you need both high refresh rate and high response time. Only TN delivers that. For instance, if you have a GTG response time of 6ms, and run it at 120hz, and the pixel is constantly changing (becaue movement, duh), then that pixel is in flux for 72% of the time. However, if you have a TN panel, it's only in flux for 12% of the time. And if you have a TN panel that supports backlight flashing (turning off the backlight whenever the pixels are in transition) you end up with crystal clear motion with no blurring.

TN Panel > IPS panel for everything except brightness/colors, and even then a good TN like the Asus VG248QE still has sufficient brightness/colors that some people won't be able to tell the difference unless told to look for certain things.

I think you are confusing refresh rate with input lag.

EDIT: See above.

Hertz =/= Response time

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

Wutevs, IPS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TN

:P

tumblr_mlbsdr4JOK1ra3fkpo1_400.gif

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

so i am asking is this monitor Asus VG248QE have good colors like ips panel

so i am asking is this monitor Asus VG248QE have good colors like ips panel

Kind of. It's much better than a typical TN, but it's still a TN. The Colors are great (so long as you don't use stock settings in the menu, beause my greens and blues were washed out until I fixed that), but where you'll notice problems are the black/dark areas.

Kind of. It's much better than a typical TN, but it's still a TN. The Colors are great (so long as you don't use stock settings in the menu, beause my greens and blues were washed out until I fixed that), but where you'll notice problems are the black/dark areas.

so i have to use this page to fix it http://forum.openfra...d810208c843.jpg

That's what I did. You don't have to use that page specifically, but really anything where you can really see what your reds, blues, and greens look like and adjust the settings until you're happy.

That's what I did. You don't have to use that page specifically, but really anything where you can really see what your reds, blues, and greens look like and adjust the settings until you're happy.

do you use 3d and is it lower fps because of 3d gaming

I don't use the 3D mode as 3D. I do use the Lightboost hack to turn on the backlight strobing of the 3D mode which removes motion blur by turning off the backlight when the pixels are in transition. Refer to http://www.blurbusters.com/ for more information about that. The lightboost function only works with 120hz instead of 144hz, but it's worth it.

I don't use the 3D mode as 3D. I do use the Lightboost hack to turn on the backlight strobing of the 3D mode which removes motion blur by turning off the backlight when the pixels are in transition. Refer to http://www.blurbusters.com/ for more information about that. The lightboost function only works with 120hz instead of 144hz, but it's worth it.

i dont fully understand what is light boost do you have nvidia videocard 

Not at all. It's a feature intended for 3D gaming to improve feel by reducing motion blur. There's a hack that enables this function for 2D everyday usage so you can get that same blur reduction for gaming. It works excellently. For more information, refer to that blurbusters link. It's got tons of stuff about it. Nothing is required for it to work besides a software hack and the monitor.

Not at all. It's a feature intended for 3D gaming to improve feel by reducing motion blur. There's a hack that enables this function for 2D everyday usage so you can get that same blur reduction for gaming. It works excellently. For more information, refer to that blurbusters link. It's got tons of stuff about it. Nothing is required for it to work besides a software hack and the monitor.

do you have nvidia video card 

No, I have an AMD card, why?

Sounds like he is interrogating you lol

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

IPS Gaming monitor?

Eizo FS2434 

http://gaming.eizo.com/products/foris_fs2434/

CPU i5 13400F - - - - - - GPU ASUS TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10G - - - - - - - - RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V Black DDR4 3600MHz 2*16GB

Motherboard MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI mATX - - - - Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB M.2 + Kingston SSDNow UV400 240GB + WD Green 2TB

PSU Seasonic Focus GX 850W 80 Plus Gold - - - - Cooling Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black - - - - Case Fractal Design Define 7 Mini

Displays INNOCN 27M2V + ASUS TUF Gaming VG259QM + Dell U2414H - - - - - - - - - - - Sound ATH-M50x, Lenovo unknown speaker

Keyboard Ducky Shine 4 - - - - - Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight + G-TF Rough + Logitech G PowerPlay

I would pick the BenQ Xl2420T or Z instead, the BenQ is supposed to have better colors, tho i havent tested the Asus, but i have 3 of the BenQ´s :P

BenQ does look very nice. Even on my GL2450HM!

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III