I can't get my BenQ XL2420Z to 144hz, please help!

Hannes_
Go to solution Solved by 79wjd,

What does this mean? I'm a fairly retarded cs player and don't know alot about computers. On the box of the cable it says DVI-D, i guess the D in the end might stand for dual.

Edit, this is not the cable the monitor came with, but it's identical to that one. Could this make a difference if i switch them out?

DVI-D is a form of DVI that only carries a digital signal compared to DVI-I which carries both a digital and Analog signal -- DVI-I can be converted to VGA while DVI-D can NOT.

The XL2420Z should have come with a dual link DVI cable though as my XL2411Z came with one. (A dual link DVI cable says "Dual Link" on the connector)

Use the DVI cable that came with the monitor. 

Does it matter wich end of the cabel goes into the computer vs the monitor, ie are the ends identical, or are they different?

that shouldn't matter can you try changing the refresh rate within AMD catalyst and not windows? 

that shouldn't matter can you try changing the refresh rate within AMD catalyst and not windows? 

Trying, it says; Maximum reported refresh rate: 120 Hz. Does this mean that it is 120 hz? Because there is no option to change the refresh rate. It's just there. 

Because in windows it still says 60hz.

Alright, i did what 

djdwosk97 told me to do.

And in response to what you said, the cable says Dual Link on the connector (could this still be the wrong cable?). 

The ports are directly connected to the graphics card right? Is the AMD radeon 7900 hd series too old to handle 144hz? Do i in this case need an updated graphics card? I've been meaning to build a new computer for a while now anyways.

I just spent a little while looking it up and, apparently, a DVI-D cable should support 144 hz, but you need a DVI-I port (which the monitor doesn't have by the looks of it). I'm using a display cable now, so I may have just forgotten about not being able to use a DVI cable at 144 Hz.

Okay! So i can change it to 120 hz in Catalyst. But it then locks me at 1024x768. And it's just a small square in the middle of the monitor.

Okay! So i can change it to 120 hz in Catalyst. But it then locks me at 1024x768. And it's just a small square in the middle of the monitor

and this is why i personally chose nvidia. . . . honestly man im just as confused as you are as to why this wont work. . . sorry man =/

and this is why i personally chose nvidia. . . . honestly man im just as confused as you are as to why this wont work. . . sorry man =/

= (, oh wells. I'll have to look around a bit more then. I'll tag this as solved since you guys helped me out to atleast get this far.

Oblivious me thought it would be 120hz right out of the box =P

Thanks alot guys!

Alright, i did what 

djdwosk97 told me to do.

And in response to what you said, the cable says Dual Link on the connector (could this still be the wrong cable?). 

The ports are directly connected to the graphics card right? Is the AMD radeon 7900 hd series too old to handle 144hz? Do i in this case need an updated graphics card? I've been meaning to build a new computer for a while now anyways.

A 7900 has a single dual link output; so no, it can support 144hz, whether it can drive it or not is a different question. 

Does it matter wich end of the cabel goes into the computer vs the monitor, ie are the ends identical, or are they different?

no

= (, oh wells. I'll have to look around a bit more then. I'll tag this as solved since you guys helped me out to atleast get this far.

Oblivious me thought it would be 120hz right out of the box =P

Thanks alot guys!

It should. My Xl2411z got 120/144hz right out of the box. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.