I can't get my BenQ XL2420Z to 144hz, please help!

Hannes_
Go to solution Solved by 79wjd,

What does this mean? I'm a fairly retarded cs player and don't know alot about computers. On the box of the cable it says DVI-D, i guess the D in the end might stand for dual.

Edit, this is not the cable the monitor came with, but it's identical to that one. Could this make a difference if i switch them out?

DVI-D is a form of DVI that only carries a digital signal compared to DVI-I which carries both a digital and Analog signal -- DVI-I can be converted to VGA while DVI-D can NOT.

The XL2420Z should have come with a dual link DVI cable though as my XL2411Z came with one. (A dual link DVI cable says "Dual Link" on the connector)

Use the DVI cable that came with the monitor. 

Hello, i've recently gotten the BenQ XL2420Z, i've read the manual, and followed it with driver installs and everything. But i can't figure out how to set it to 144hz.

I use windows, and when i go to screen res > Advanced options > monitor. The refresh rate tab doesn't let me go above 60hz, i've installed the proper drivers and everything.

I use a DVI-D cable, and my gfx card is from the AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series. I don't know if that changes anything but i thought it might help.

Please help! /Hannes.

Is your cable a dual DVI cable?

What does this mean? I'm a fairly retarded cs player and don't know alot about computers. On the box of the cable it says DVI-D, i guess the D in the end might stand for dual.

Edit, this is not the cable the monitor came with, but it's identical to that one. Could this make a difference if i switch them out?

DVI-D is a form of DVI that only carries a digital signal compared to DVI-I which carries both a digital and Analog signal -- DVI-I can be converted to VGA while DVI-D can NOT.

The XL2420Z should have come with a dual link DVI cable though as my XL2411Z came with one. (A dual link DVI cable says "Dual Link" on the connector)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

^

I have a XL2420Z, it works fine with the cable in the box or a display port cable. I imagine that's your issue.

Okay, thanks, but now that i'm using the dual link cable. My monitor won't start. Brb reboot. This forum is amazing. Wow, i posted 3 days ago to another website and have yet to get an answer. Thank you all for responding so quickly, update after reboot.

Okay, thanks, but now that i'm using the dual link cable. My monitor won't start. Brb reboot. This forum is amazing. Wow, i posted 3 days ago to another website and have yet to get an answer. Thank you all for responding so quickly, update after reboot.

dual-dvi.jpg

You need DVI-I

dual-dvi.jpg

You need DVI-I

I've rebooted now, using the cable the monitor came with. I still can't change it to 144hz for some reason.

I've got to drive home, but, assuming this isn't resolved while I'm gone, I can try to help you out when I get back. Till then, you mentioned installing the drivers for it, so I assume you've done this already but, have you downloaded the V2 firmware?

http://gaming.benq.com/downloads

I've got to drive home, but, assuming this isn't resolved while I'm gone, I can try to help you out when I get back. Till then, you mentioned installing the drivers for it, so I assume you've done this already but, have you downloaded the V2 firmware?

http://gaming.benq.com/downloads

I've downloaded the v2 firmware. But how do i interact with a .bin file? I've tried mounting it with DaemonTools but it won't seem to work.

I've downloaded the v2 firmware. But how do i interact with a .bin file? I've tried mounting it with DaemonTools but it won't seem to work.

You shouldn't need to 

As I recall, the drivers came in a .rar and then you could just install the driver after opening it in winrar or something of the like. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

You shouldn't need to 

As I recall, the drivers came in a .rar and then you could just install the driver after opening it in winrar or something of the like. 

53VQEz2.png

This is what i get when i try that.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

This can't be common procedure. 

What should i do? Give it back?

whoops wrong link; one sec. 

Is your monitor working right now? just not at 144hz? Or is it still not working at all? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

whoops wrong link; one sec. 

Is your monitor working right now? just not at 144hz? Or is it still not working at all? 

It is working, yes. Just not 144hz

It is working, yes. Just not 144hz

Have you tried enabling 144hz in the settings? 

Desktop > right click > screen resolution > advanced > monitor > 144hz 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Have you tried enabling 144hz in the settings? 

Desktop > right click > screen resolution > advanced > monitor > 144hz 

Yep, that was my intial issue.

Yep, that was my intial issue.

Have you tried it since you switched  to the Dual Link DVI cable? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Have you tried it since you switched  to the Dual Link DVI cable? 

Yes, still doesn't work. I rebooted aswell.

Try the other dvi output on your gpu. One of them is dual link and the other isn't. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

So I spent about half the ride home feeling bad about this, but I think I was mistaken about which cable comes with the box. I'm pretty sure it's also a DVI-D and I just happened to have an extra DVI-I lying around. I'm downloading the user manual now to confirm. I'll let you know when I find out.

If I'm right though, all you need to do is go out and pick up a DVI-I or a display port cable. Just make sure you have the port for it and you're good to go.

Try the other dvi output on your gpu. One of them is dual link and the other isn't. 

Hang on a minute!

So I spent about half the ride home feeling bad about this, but I think I was mistaken about which cable comes with the box. I'm pretty sure it's also a DVI-D and I just happened to have an extra DVI-I lying around. I'm downloading the user manual now to confirm. I'll let you know when I find out.

If I'm right though, all you need to do is go out and pick up a DVI-I or a display port cable. Just make sure you have the port for it and you're good to go.

Alright, i did what 

djdwosk97 told me to do.

And in response to what you said, the cable says Dual Link on the connector (could this still be the wrong cable?). 

The ports are directly connected to the graphics card right? Is the AMD radeon 7900 hd series too old to handle 144hz? Do i in this case need an updated graphics card? I've been meaning to build a new computer for a while now anyways.

Does it matter wich end of the cabel goes into the computer vs the monitor, ie are the ends identical, or are they different?