How to correctly set up fan curves for CPU

TheMidnightNarwhal

Ok so how can I properly set them up. I mean, I am not sure how I should set it up accordingly to the CPU and % of fan. Could you guys share you fan curves or any other way to help out.

Get a temperature monitoring program and keep a log of your temps and cpu usage.

At idle temperature, set the fan speed to anything that keeps a consistent temperature ~30-40%

At full load temperature, set the fan speed to whatever speed you feel comfortable with about ~70%

In between, just make a nice looking curve.

The steeper the curve, the quieter it will be, but prepare for a ramp up during load

The more gradual the curve, the more consistent and less noticeable the fan noise will be, while providing adequate cooling

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

Personally, I have the NFF12s on my H105 set to spin as little as possible at idle/little cpu load, and max under full load because any time my cpu is under relatively heavy load I'm wearing headphones anyway.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Personally, I have the NFF12s on my H105 set to spin as little as possible at idle/little cpu load, and max under full load because any time my cpu is under relatively heavy load I'm wearing headphones anyway.

Ok yeah. i could only set 2 points... make fans 50% when like under 50 degrees and 100% when above but wouldn't thae make it like always alternate between 50% and 100% and etc?

Get a temperature monitoring program and keep a log of your temps and cpu usage.

At idle temperature, set the fan speed to anything that keeps a consistent temperature ~30-40%

At full load temperature, set the fan speed to whatever speed you feel comfortable with about ~70%

The steeper the curve, the quieter it will be, but prepare for a ramp up during load

The more gradual the curve, the more consistent and less noticeable the fan noise will be, while providing adequate cooling

Ok, thanks for the input.

Ok yeah. i could only set 2 points... make fans 50% when like under 50 degrees and 100% when above but wouldn't thae make it like always alternate between 50% and 100% and etc?

Only two points and 50% is the slowest that board will allow your fans to spin? Interesting...it will depend on how frequently your cpu is above 50.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Only two points and 50% is the slowest that board will allow your fans to spin? Interesting...it will depend on how frequently your cpu is above 50.

No well I was just setting an example. Like if say I make my fan go 100% when at 51+ and 50% when at 50 or less. Cpu will hit 51 then go 100% and cool down back to 50 then fan 50% and after 10 second go back above 51 so 100%. Isn't that a problem?

I have a problem here tho. My HWmonitor temp readings are different from Fan xpert and Ai suite....

063c5ff3f9.jpg

I have a problem here tho. My HWmonitor temp readings are different from Fan xpert and Ai suite....

Honestly, I don't like AI Suite very much. My previous Z87 board had and I tried it, but ended overclocking and setting fans speeds the old school way via the BIOS.

What overclocking software do you use to verify your overclock?

Honestly, I don't like AI Suite very much. My previous Z87 board had and I tried it, but ended overclocking and setting fans speeds the old school way via the BIOS.

What overclocking software do you use to verify your overclock?

What do you mean to verify? I use CPU-Z to check CPU speed, Intel Extreme tuning utility to check the max heat output.

What do you mean to verify? I use CPU-Z to check CPU speed, Intel Extreme tuning utility to check the max heat output.

Verify as in to make sure the overclock is stable, meaning no blue screens.

What temperatures does IETU say your cores are at?

Verify as in to make sure the overclock is stable, meaning no blue screens.

What temperatures does IETU say your cores are at?

CPU temps are exactly the same as HWmonitor's. I used Prime 95 and ITU to check stability, and its stable.

CPU temps are exactly the same as HWmonitor's. I used Prime 95 and ITU to check stability, and its stable.

That's one of the reasons I don't like AI Suite.

That's one of the reasons I don't like AI Suite.

Yeah well I will stick with RPM mode then. Max RPM for front fan and 750rpm for rad fans on Server running or no gaming and max RPM when load.

-snip-

It doesn't really matter what the actual temperature is (to some degree). Just pick one of the programs and follow the previously mentioned steps.

An A-6 I had in my first build had problems with it's temperature monitoring. It would take the ambient temperature of the System and then display the temperature of the CPU as an offset of System temperature. The CPU temp always read 14-36 degrees (idle-full load).

The temperature it tells you doesn't matter, just use it as a reference point

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

This is how my curve is set. The highest fans will go is 70% because temp difference between 70& and up is basicly meaningless. Lowest is at 20% or however low PWM goes. The curve (Speedfan) is almost straight line.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv