High-performance 990FX board

Go to solution Solved by Rheinwasser,

Asus Crosshair V Formula Z is currently the most expensive and best overclocking mobo for the AM3+ socket.

990fxa-ud3 is very good, even better than the asus one in my opinion.

970 gaming from msi is pretty good as well.

but you might want to consider intel because the mainboards for the am3+ platform just aren't up-to-date.

Hi

I might do an overclocking test bench on the AM3+ platform. For now I will stick to my Sempron 145 and Gigabyte 78LMT-S2 but in the future if I want to put an 8-core in there, what motherboard should I pick? I mainly need high baseclocks, other features not required. Should use the 990FX chipset. Thanks.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Asus Crosshair V Formula Z is currently the most expensive and best overclocking mobo for the AM3+ socket.

CPU: i7 6800k @ 4.1ghz | Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Edition 10 | RAM: 64 GB 2400Mhz DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | GPU: GTX 2080 ti Zotac AMP | CASE: Corsair 780T | Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Evo, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 Nvme SSD, Samsung 950 Pro 1TB SSD, Seagate 7200rpm 1TB HDD, Seagate 5TB external HDD | PSU: EVGA 850watt G2 | Displays (3): Samsung Odyssey G70 32 inch 1440p 240hz Monitor 1ms rt, LG 32MA68HY-P 32-Inch IPS Monitor, LG 43UD79-B 43" 16:9 4K IPS Monitor | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Mini, Razer Huntsman Elite | Mice: Logitech G502 HERO wireless, Roccat Leadr | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 700, Hifiman HE1000 V2, Oppo PM3s | DAC/AMP and USB audio enhancers: Schiit Gungnir Multibit, Schiit Mjolnir 2, Sennheiser HD 700, Oppo HA-2 Headphone amplifier, Schiit USB Decrapifier | Webcam: Logitech BRIO 4k | Speakers: Klipsch The Sixes Powered Monitors and MartinLogan Dynamo 300 Stereo Subwoofer with Creative Sound Blaster E5 High-Resolution USB DAC to run them both at the same time. And an Amazon Echo linked at the same time to these speakers via bluetooth on the sound blaster. | Microphone and DAC/AMP: Blue yeti pro, and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) | Router and Modem: Asus rog rapture GT-AC5300, and ARRIS SURFboard SB8200

This I got my 8350 at 5Ghz on this board.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Is there any cheaper option?

The Asus Formula Crosshair Z would probably be the best one to get.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

^^

but you might want to consider intel because the mainboards for the am3+ platform just aren't up-to-date.

It will be an overclocking test bench, not a gaming PC. I have some parts lying around, and if this gets serious I will upgrade it to an 8350 and a 990FX board. Guess I'll get the 990FXA-UD3 if it's better than the Asus one.

For everyone else, the Formula Z seems to be quite expensive. Is the 990FXA-UD3 a good alternative?

Both the 990fxa-ud3 + c formula-z have 8+2 power phase designs... so in theory they sould be the same for OCing. Just the 990 lacks proper VRM cooling imo

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Both the 990fxa-ud3 + c formula-z have 8+2 power phase designs... so in theory they sould be the same for OCing. Just the 990 lacks proper VRM cooling imo

that was in the first revisions.

its solved now.

Thanks. I will get the 990FXA-UD3.