64bit but can't use more than 5gb of Ram!

Hi everyone. I have a problem I've discovered only today while playing CoD:AW.

It kept crashing with the "Run out of memory" error and I think it was something game-related but then I checked my Task manager while playing and I got this:

post-29367-0-95074800-1415030130_thumb.p
1) Game start
2) Reset because I lowered all the video settings to minimum and off (to reduce the load the most possible way)
3) Game start
4) after matchmaking I'm into the map, it keeps loading from now on
5)end match and idle in the lobby room
6) load new map then it hits 4.98Gb and it crash with the "Run out of memory" error.

I kept noticing how it always crashed at 4.98 so there was something..
this is my PC and OS spec: post-29367-0-65033300-1415031911.png

So I have 64bit, I have the Win7 Ultimate, my sistem read 8Gb. what's the problem??

I noticed in my task manager under "Disponibile" (Available in italian) that says only ~5Gb same on "Libera" (Free)... wtf??

where did all my memory go??

thank you for your time!

2020 AMD Build:

Ryzen 3800x - Asus TUF x570 - Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3600cl16 - ROG Strix GTX1070 OC 8G - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W - Sabrent Rocket 1TB

2012 Intel Build:

Intel i5-3570k @4.0Ghz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 - XFX HD7970 GHz - Enermax Revolution87+ 650w - Crucial MX500 500GB

Check the BIOS and make sure the memory isn't set for the iGPU.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Check the BIOS and make sure the memory isn't set for the iGPU.

I looked up my bios (Maximus V Formula) but I didn't find any settings regarding the iGPU, not even on google.

there is some keyword I need to find in the Bios settings about it?

2020 AMD Build:

Ryzen 3800x - Asus TUF x570 - Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3600cl16 - ROG Strix GTX1070 OC 8G - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W - Sabrent Rocket 1TB

2012 Intel Build:

Intel i5-3570k @4.0Ghz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 - XFX HD7970 GHz - Enermax Revolution87+ 650w - Crucial MX500 500GB

Do you have page-file enabled?

What size is it?

It's 1024MB but I've never used it since It crashed before I reach it I guess.

2020 AMD Build:

2012 Intel Build:

set it to 4096mb

I'm trying with this settings now:

post-29367-0-37090400-1415033819.png

2020 AMD Build:

2012 Intel Build:

I looked up my bios (Maximus V Formula) but I didn't find any settings regarding the iGPU, not even on google.

there is some keyword I need to find in the Bios settings about it?

Try resting the motherboard to it's defaults an see if that works, if not then it's likely something is wrong with the OS.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

what GPU you have  :)

(is funny that i am the only person asking this question lol)  :ph34r:

How much GPU memory do you have? and there is a default amount of memory that a program is allowed to use up, no single program can access all 100% of your RAM - you should note that. Quite sure the limit might be around 2gb - google about that, I forget how it works right now, don't want to give any misleading info.

How much GPU memory do you have? and there is a default amount of memory that a program is allowed to use up, no single program can access all 100% of your RAM - you should note that. Quite sure the limit might be around 2gb - google about that, I forget how it works right now, don't want to give any misleading info.

yea  ^_^

this can be a bottleneck case of the Vram, when the game jump to the normal ram (less efficient and buggy)  :blush:

(we need check his GPU power and Vram)  -_-

what GPU you have  :)

(is funny that i am the only person asking this question lol)  :ph34r:

I have an HD 7970 GHz edition from XFX

I don't think it's the GPU memory, My screen is only 1280x1024 and I put everything on Low settings

@harrynowl

Sorry for the delay but I had to play 5 matches before finding a map(?) big enough. now I get to 5.33Gb of Memory without problem (I noticed a bit slower loading time but I couldn't tell if It was the swap or my HDD) seems fixed, now I will try to max out the Video settings to see how it goes.

2020 AMD Build:

2012 Intel Build:

I have an HD 7970 GHz edition from XFX

I don't think it's the GPU memory, My screen is only 1280x1024 and I put everything on Low settings

@harrynowl

Sorry for the delay but I had to play 5 matches before finding a map(?) big enough. now I get to 5.33Gb of Memory without problem (I noticed a bit slower loading time but I couldn't tell if It was the swap or my HDD) seems fixed, now I will try to max out the Video settings to see how it goes.

map textures are stored on gpu memory in some cases, but glad to hear that your problem seems to be fixed. Do check about the RAM usage limitation. Programs use paging files when they exceed that limitation. It might be better to increase it if possible rather than use the page file which is slower.

Aaaaand Nope! It's not fixed, this is what happens when I try to join a game now:
http://i.imgur.com/QeRM3IX.png

The red segment is from 5.50 to around 5.90Gb but it tooks like 3mins to load a map wich took only few seconds before :(

so I guess it's going in paging but WHY?? I have the memory!! :(  it's driving me crazy, I tried restarting it, pulling off and re-inserting the memory. Maybe I should disable the XMP profile and go from 1866 to the "bios stock" of 1333 but I don't think that will cause the problem..

2020 AMD Build:

2012 Intel Build:

Aaaaand Nope! It's not fixed, this is what happens when I try to join a game now:

http://i.imgur.com/QeRM3IX.png

The red segment is from 5.50 to around 5.90Gb but it tooks like 3mins to load a map wich took only few seconds before :(

so I guess it's going in paging but WHY?? I have the memory!! :(  it's driving me crazy, I tried restarting it, pulling off and re-inserting the memory. Maybe I should disable the XMP profile and go from 1866 to the "bios stock" of 1333 but I don't think that will cause the problem..

in the good news

the down of the ram when the game crash, is not the guilty of the crash, is the consequence after the game crash, soo... looks like your ram and Vram, are working fine to me (the guilty is in other side i think, we need do a more deep research, but your machine looks powerful and ready for all friend)

you can add some OC to that cpu (3.5 ghz is not much this days)

- - - - 

kk step two  :)

let's  check your machine stability (the cpu worry me a bit, but don't ask me why)

Prime95 is what i use to do this work, but intel and prime do not mix well

must be another program to test the stability of your cpu out there

(it be cool see if your cpu pass 1h of prime with out errors)

more good news, this may be all just a bug that can be fix in some days  (the game is so new)

- - - - 

i know the feeling friend  :blush:

i pay a lot of $$$ for metro LL and that s green game do not recognise my keyboard  <_<

- - - - 

but we will fix this AV for you friend  ^_^ (don't lose your hope)

Have you tried running memtest 86+ to verify that all your RAM is working correctly?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

in the good news

the down of the ram when the game crash, is not the guilty of the crash, is the consequence after the game crash, soo... looks like your ram and Vram, are working fine to me (the guilty is in other side i think, we need do a more deep research, but your machine looks powerful and ready for all friend)

you can add some OC to that cpu (3.5 ghz is not much this days)

- - - - 

kk step two  :)

let's  check your machine stability (the cpu worry me a bit, but don't ask me why)

Prime95 is what i use to do this work, but intel and prime do not mix well

must be another program to test the stability of your cpu out there

(it be cool see if your cpu pass 1h of prime with out errors)

more good news, this may be all just a bug that can be fix in some days  (the game is so new)

- - - - 

i know the feeling friend  :blush:

i pay a lot of $$$ for metro LL and that s green game do not recognise my keyboard  <_<

- - - - 

but we will fix this AV for you friend  ^_^ (don't lose your hope)

My CPU is at 4.0GHz at the moment and since I've never felt a bottleneck since I buy it I didn't wanted to bother with the voltage settings and the stability to gain a couple more FPS on a few games like Battlefield (during explosion or heavy physics load)

Yeah, I still can't play Metro and they keep sayin it's because I have "logitec drivers" installed (my webcam) WTF DOES THAT EVEN RELATE TO A GAME?? it's unplayable, 10FPS with every video settings... *groan* -.-

Have you tried running memtest 86+ to verify that all your RAM is working correctly?

I tried my ram when i first got my PC for about 1-2 hour I think and they were fine, also I've never had any ram-related issue so far.. except the "bad milk" experience but that's another story lol

Anyway on the web I can't find anything, I told this problem even on the Advanced Warfare Subreddit in case someone will have a similiar issue. I don't know if I should hope that this is a Game-Client problem so it's only a matter of patch (because it might take months to patch it) or hope it's something up to me... I Should check my VRAM usage but still, if I run out of VRAM (and on a single monitor 1280x1024 looks hard to me) it will use the RAM anyway so it's the same point lol.

Edit:

I added another graph to better troubleshoot this issue:

post-29367-0-57801000-1415051236_thumb.p

I used the MSI Afterburner graphs to show in realtime the RAM usage and the Paging file usage

I noticed how my RAM usage value is between 0 and 8192 on the grap but on the "reading values" it's only between 1633 and 5315!!! once again that 5GB... what does it mean???

why does it load both my paging and the ram?? it's some sort of Swap error?

also I don't think it's something hardware related, it's 5Gb not 4gb so it's not a faulty stick I guess :(

2020 AMD Build:

2012 Intel Build:

My CPU is at 4.0GHz at the moment and since I've never felt a bottleneck since I buy it I didn't wanted to bother with the voltage settings and the stability to gain a couple more FPS on a few games like Battlefield (during explosion or heavy physics load)

Yeah, I still can't play Metro and they keep sayin it's because I have "logitec drivers" installed (my webcam) WTF DOES THAT EVEN RELATE TO A GAME?? it's unplayable, 10FPS with every video settings... *groan* -.-

I tried my ram when i first got my PC for about 1-2 hour I think and they were fine, also I've never had any ram-related issue so far.. except the "bad milk" experience but that's another story lol

Anyway on the web I can't find anything, I told this problem even on the Advanced Warfare Subreddit in case someone will have a similiar issue. I don't know if I should hope that this is a Game-Client problem so it's only a matter of patch (because it might take months to patch it) or hope it's something up to me... I Should check my VRAM usage but still, if I run out of VRAM (and on a single monitor 1280x1024 looks hard to me) it will use the RAM anyway so it's the same point lol.

Edit:

I added another graph to better troubleshoot this issue:

attachicon.gifwhattheell.png

I used the MSI Afterburner graphs to show in realtime the RAM usage and the Paging file usage

I noticed how my RAM usage value is between 0 and 8192 on the grap but on the "reading values" it's only between 1633 and 5315!!! once again that 5GB... what does it mean???

why does it load both my paging and the ram?? it's some sort of Swap error?

also I don't think it's something hardware related, it's 5Gb not 4gb so it's not a faulty stick I guess :(

i just finish install (and play a bit) CoD AW (i love it) and all work fine

with my 8GB ram 1600mhz + 7850 2GB + cpu AMD 4x 3000mhz

(now i OC the ram to 1817mhz and the cpu to 3406mhz)

Prime95

[Wed Nov 05 03:21:26 2014]
Self-test 640K passed!
Self-test 640K passed!
Self-test 640K passed!
Self-test 640K passed!
[Wed Nov 05 03:37:31 2014]
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
[Wed Nov 05 03:53:20 2014]
Self-test 720K passed!
Self-test 720K passed!
Self-test 720K passed!
Self-test 720K passed!

(the OC on the cpu and the ram is all stable ^_^ yey)

%2820140920%29%20-%20102.png?psid=1

looks like is your ram the problem after all friend

%2820140920%29%20-%20104.png?psid=1

my ram doesn't have the 5GB tops like yours friend (i have all 8GB and i never top my ram)

some program is doing something funny inside your pc  -_- (and you have a more powerful pc that mine)

- - - - 

she load "low" the missions, but she work fine on this side friend :blush: (four cores for the win)

2014-11-05_00001.jpg?psid=1

post-29367-0-48074600-1415215230_thumb.j

this is what happens when I put everything on High on the SP, I have 12 fps and I'm really getting angry at this game >:(

I think I should re-install my OS but I wanted to find a better solution to this :(

2020 AMD Build:

2012 Intel Build:

attachicon.gifs1_sp64_ship 2014-11-04 02-22-54-30.jpg

this is what happens when I put everything on High on the SP, I have 12 fps and I'm really getting angry at this game > :(

I think I should re-install my OS but I wanted to find a better solution to this :(

we may just change the name of the topic to CoD AW discussion  ;)

i will just make a new topic for this, looks fun  :rolleyes:

- - - - 

you have an awesome machine friend  :)

i do think some program is messing with your ram  <_<

we can also buy 8GB more (for a total of 16GB)  :ph34r:

we may just change the name of the topic to CoD AW discussion  ;)

i will just make a new topic for this, looks fun  :rolleyes:

- - - - 

you have an awesome machine friend  :)

i do think some program is messing with your ram  <_<

we can also buy 8GB more (for a total of 16GB)  :ph34r:

I wanted to open a thread on the CoD section but since I noticed it had to do with my RAM more than the game I choose to post here (yeah, the screenshot was a bit OT but you'd understand me, I'm angry because I hate when I have a problem and I can't find a solution xD)

btw even with 16Gb there will be the same issue since it only "see" 5gb for Unknown reasons! uff do you have any idea on how to test my ram "load"?  I can't launch the game, find a server and play for a bit while testing various settings. I need something to simulate the same amount of load etc...

any idea? (Not performance or speed!! only the "load" )

2020 AMD Build:

2012 Intel Build:

I wanted to open a thread on the CoD section but since I noticed it had to do with my RAM more than the game I choose to post here (yeah, the screenshot was a bit OT but you'd understand me, I'm angry because I hate when I have a problem and I can't find a solution xD)

btw even with 16Gb there will be the same issue since it only "see" 5gb for Unknown reasons! uff do you have any idea on how to test my ram "load"?  I can't launch the game, find a server and play for a bit while testing various settings. I need something to simulate the same amount of load etc...

any idea? (Not performance or speed!! only the "load" )

if it was me on your place friend  ^_^

i will start erasing all programs crap i see inside your PC, and then retest the CoD AW run  :ph34r:

the are many old games, that like mess with your ram <_<

to be "compatible" (yea, sure) :lol: and may have the guilt also

- - - - 

seek and destroy  B)

(finally one video with decent audio)

Edited by 7850OC