Are games getting worse? Or am I losing Interest?

Aleks

For the past half year or so, I don't seem to be able to really get into a game. I know many others are have this same feeling. New games come out and I make the mistake of spending $50 or so on them. Not once have I felt I have gotten my moneys worth. So, is this because games themselves are getting bad? Or is it me losing interest in  gaming all together. Anybody who have these same issue I would love to hear.

IMO you're losing interest. There are not very many games releasing ATM that interest me a lot either. My top 2 are GTA V for PC and BF. Maybe Destiny if it comes to PC, same with Halo MCC.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I personally find a lot of games either rushed or not as in depth as they used to be? but thats the big titles i guess, they churn out games fast and add heaps with DLC for more money, i don't think you are "losing interest in gaming" maybe just refining what you think is a good game or no games that are coming out actually appeal to what you enjoy playing even though the trailer makes it look epic and sexy? I do however find that most games are getting easier.... and the difficulty is not what it used to be

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

It's a mix of both... Games are getting worse and you're not gaining as much interest because of past games that have let you down.

Other then Far Cry 4 and D.A.I. I've pretty stopped caring about the others.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

There's nothing that's really caught my attention either. If you're bored of the same thing over and over, play more skyrim. :)

Fixed.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

To me there really hasn't been innovation in video games for a couple of years now so i get what you are saying.

It's a mix of both... Games are getting worse and you're not gaining as much interest because of past games that have let you down.

Other then Far Cry 4 and D.A.I. I've pretty stopped caring about the others.

Yea it is basically up to Far Cry 4 to boost my confidence in games since AC:UNITY has just not impressed me so far( Big AC fan).

I find it interesting because I can still hop onto Minecraft with a few friends and play survival for hours on end. Thank you for everyone who has responded so far. :)

Devs are just simply more concerned about money these days than actually putting out a enjoyable game. Right now in the gaming industry, money comes first and creativity goes somewhere after that.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Devs are just simply more concerned about money these days than actually putting out a enjoyable game. Right now in the gaming industry, money comes first and creativity goes somewhere after that.

As much as I hate to hear it, you are so right :(

Maybe it's because you are looking for games to play instead of having fun. I play DotA 2, WoW and Minecraft with friends, those games have their pro and cons, but I doubt someone wouldn't want to play them if you have a lot of active good friends on them. On the other hand, I try different games when they come out too! But it's very rare for me to play any of the hyped and/or AAA games, everything from big time publishers is all the exact same since the days of the Playstation 2.

The last two years I've been enjoying a big variety of titles on PC, both games that I play solo and also multi-player. This weekend I played mostly Risk of Rain with another three friends, we had a blast and teared through hours.

My opinion is, you may not be looking for fun in the right places.

You're just losing interest. Games definitely aren't getting worse. 

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

Maybe it's because you are looking for games to play instead of having fun. I play DotA 2, WoW and Minecraft with friends, those games have their pro and cons, but I doubt someone wouldn't want to play them if you have a lot of active good friends on them. On the other hand, I try different games when they come out too! But it's very rare for me to play any of the hyped and/or AAA games, everything from big time publishers is all the exact same since the days of the Playstation 2.

The last two years I've been enjoying a big variety of titles on PC, both games that I play solo and also multi-player. This weekend I played mostly Risk of Rain with another three friends, we had a blast and teared through hours.

My opinion is, you may not be looking for fun in the right places.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply man! You definitely could have a point. I am a big story guy and what turns me off of AC:UNITY is the co-op aspect. Maybe I need to pursue my "social side".

You need to find games that have deep story - something a lot of games are lacking. 

And sometimes I think we all need a bit of break from gaming. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I think you just have to find interesting games.

I love TF2 and it is almost the only game I play, when I do play, I haven't played a lot in the lest few months.

All other games didn't seem that interesting, I saw a load of videos and expanded my library a bit but they didn't hold my interest.

Recently I picked up two titles, and I know why I picked them up.

Battlefield 4 has large sprawling maps and Spore has a mix of civ blended into its survivalist play. At least that's what I think I saw on the videos.

The only reason I picked up these games is because they had something different in comparison to all the other games I saw. It took many hours to actually find these titles amongst all of the other stuff that gets released.

Can't say I've enjoyed them yet, recently aquired, but you should really consider searching for games with a unique aspect. I bet this will entertain you more. Be sure that it's something you like.

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

I feel the same thing newly released games for the past 2 years are extremely boring and are getting worst.Batman arkham city and Skyrim were the last games that made me go "woaaaah" Arkham Origin was also great but lacking a few things..

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

Personally I think they're getting better and better. I have more games released in 2011-2014 than I have released 2004-2008 or 2000-2004 for example.

OP are you not enjoying gaming as much because you are playing them alone or with people you have no real connection to?  That was what soured me on gaming.  I now am trying to play with LTT people and have a huge list of players to play with and it is making it more interesting.  They may not be real life friends but it is better than playing with just randoms.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

The focus on graphics rather than gameplay decreased my interest for gaming in general for years. Now I just pick up a game for benchmarking rather than enjoying the game because a lot of the games now just don't have good gameplay at all.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

I'm not an expert in the gaming industry but it seems like publishers are becoming more concerned about having games that will sell as much as possible rather than games that have more originality, creativity and innovation. If you look at recent AAA examples it's seems like aggressive marketing is what sells games more than anything, and it works, so publishers keep on doing it. Just look at the Watch Dogs situation and despite that, there's still a lot of hype and excitement for Far Cry 4 and AC Unity.

I find myself turning more and more towards indie games, probably because indie devs don't tend to have the problem of having to compromise the integrity of their games in order to meet the demands of a publisher. 

Having said that, in recent years I seem to find less and less games that I really enjoy.        

I get what you're saying. I still like playing AAA games but lately they are not really anything special that really gets me excited. Right now, there's nothing that I'm really looking forward to. There are some cool games coming, but nothing i can get hyped about.