How to mirror 2 partitions?

Speedbird
Go to solution Solved by Mighty_Miro_WD,

Hi there.

I personally use Acronis True Image WD Edition for this - there you can choose to perform scheduled back up on a weekly bases. I too like @Keystone Nyan Cat haven't heard for a software in Windows 7 that can mirror the partition faster then on a daily schedule...

If you decide to try it, you can download it from here:

And here are the steps on how to do the back up after that:

Hope this helps.

Cheers! :)

Hi

So I have this storage setup: 1 TB Blue for the OS+Programs+Downloads and I have the downloads on a separate partition. And a 1 TB WD Green which has 4 partitions, one of them is for Downloads. I have already copied the existing downloads from the Blue to the Green, but how do I make them mirror themselves automatically? And I don't mean RAID1, that's for entire disks. Thanks.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

You can try setting the partition in the Green as a backup drive only for the Blue and nothing else and Windows or a third party [eg.MozyHome, SyncBack, etc.] software should do the job.

I hope this helps! :)

PC in Profile

You can try setting the partition in the Green as a backup drive only for the Blue and nothing else and Windows or a third party [eg.MozyHome, SyncBack, etc.] software should do the job.

I hope this helps! :)

I already have Windows Backup set to copy my home dir to my external HDD. Are there any other options (I prefer something that updates it realtime)?

I may be wrong here but I don't think anything besides RAID can help you here for real time changing. If you are using Windows 8, I think you can mirror a partition of a drive instead of the whole drive (needs verification) using what I like to think of as a soft RAID.

I know this may not be helpful since you are already backing it up, but you can try changing the backup frequency to an hourly one.

PC in Profile

I may be wrong here but I don't think anything besides RAID can help you here for real time changing. If you are using Windows 8, I think you can mirror a partition of a drive instead of the whole drive (needs verification) using what I like to think of as a soft RAID.

I know this may not be helpful since you are already backing it up, but you can try changing the backup frequency to an hourly one.

Unfortunately I'm using Windows 7. I'll try looking around disk management and I'll see what I can do with dynamic disks. Thanks for your help anyway.

You may want to look into something like BitTorrent's SYNC software or maybe even CrashPlan's free version of their software. I think both of them should be able to do essentially whatt you want with a little bit of configuration. 

You could also try Microsoft's SyncToy that they put out a few years ago as a windows powertoy a few years ago. It would also do the syncing, but it would be lacking the real time aspect of it. You should be able to set up a task in task scheduler to run it every hour or something though.

Hi there.

I personally use Acronis True Image WD Edition for this - there you can choose to perform scheduled back up on a weekly bases. I too like @Keystone Nyan Cat haven't heard for a software in Windows 7 that can mirror the partition faster then on a daily schedule...

Hope this helps.

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/

Hi there.

http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3689/session/L2F2LzEvc25vLzEvdGltZS8xNDE1MDExMzg3L3NpZC9EU3h6cnU2bQ==

Hope this helps.

Thanks! Will look into it.