GTX 980 8GB worth waiting for?

ultrabeing

At the moment if you play BF4 with Ultra High Settings with AA and Motion Blur on I believe you can use easily between 2.5GB - 3.5GB of RAM

BF4 uses Ram cacheing thats why you see 3GB beign used i highly suggest you watch digitalstorm's videos about 4K Vram usage.

I'd wait for new amd cards.

Actually, r9 290x performs similar or even better than 980 thanks to its 512bits buses. It's easy to think that amd will do it better. I'd wait for it.

Learning from Spain, don't be rude if I can't understand everything you write down to me O_o'

Actually, r9 290x performs similar or even better than 980 thanks to its 512bits buses.

Can you link anything that actually shows that? Most of the benchmarks I've seen between the GTX 970 and 290X find the 970 meeting or beating it, and the 970's lead tending to increase at higher (more VRAM/ROP-intensive) resolutions. The 980 doesn't compete with the 290X in the first place.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8568/the-geforce-gtx-970-review-feat-evga

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-970-maxwell,3941.html

Nope, you have to understand something about these GPU's with MASSİVE amounts of VRAM is that they are mostly marketing, why i say this? well because the GPU itself is not powerful enough to run something that requires more than 5-6GB's of VRAM even when SLI'd (read this couple of times it may be hard to understand at first)

This is untrue.

As an example textures have almost 0 impact on performance and are completely Vram dependent.

So buying a GPU with more Vram is always better because you'll be able to use higher resolution textures.

Not to mentioned that Nvdia bottlenecks their GPUs with low amounts of Vram especially on the 600/700 series.

And this is especially true if you have no problem playing under 60Fps.

RTX2070OC 

8GB VRAM for the GTX 970 / 980 was a stupid media rumor. Already confirmed that it won't happen. Check the News section of the forums.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/242489-gtx-970980-8gb-version-turns-out-to-be-false/

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Extreme 4k gaming is just too expensive right now. If the GTX980 8GB is true it's probably gonna be as much as GTX Titans at around $1000...I know everyone is different and has different budgets but I don't see the big deal to try to do 4k right now...it's extremely expensive and doesn't perform that well for gaming as far as FPS comes through even when you have ridiculous SLI setups...I mean I guess if you got $4000 to spend on a PC go for it I'm getting my GTX970 in the mail this week and it's going to destroy all of my games on ulra. (I don't play in 4k though)

Extreme 4k gaming is just too expensive right now. If the GTX980 8GB is true it's probably gonna be as much as GTX Titans at around $1000...I know everyone is different and has different budgets but I don't see the big deal to try to do 4k right now...it's extremely expensive and doesn't perform that well for gaming as far as FPS comes through even when you have ridiculous SLI setups...I mean I guess if you got $4000 to spend on a PC go for it I'm getting my GTX970 in the mail this week and it's going to destroy all of my games on ulra. (I don't play in 4k though)

1440p is the real gaming resolution now. 4K - better wait till 4K monitors become 120-144Hz, then go buy. It will be cheaper and affordable and playable with some High end Pascal GPUs ^_^

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

1440p is the real gaming resolution now. 4K - better wait till 4K monitors become 120-144Hz, then go buy. It will be cheaper and affordable and playable with some High end Pascal GPUs ^_^

Lol when are we gonna have GPUs that can play 4k and reach over 120fps? I think it's gonna be a while bro...

Have fun trying to game on a single GTX 980 @ 4K

I do. 75+ fps in farcry 3 works for me

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

I'm looking to upgrade my system and was wondering whether or not to wait to for the rumored 8GB 980s and if 8GB would really be practical for a single 4k monitor or would the 4GB be enough?

4G is not enough for 4K gaming, at lest 6G. One of my friend running titan black sli and used all 6G of VRAM playing watch dog.

8G yes, but 980 dont have the HP to run 4K MAX settings.

So, Yea. If you want SLI 980 8G. Then you can run 4K with no problem(if game support SLI).

Really I would not by one as they wont be worth the price for what extra performance you get but itll be worth waiting as other cards will hopefully drop in price.

BF4 uses Ram cacheing thats why you see 3GB beign used i highly suggest you watch digitalstorm's videos about 4K Vram usage.

Yes but as more and more games come out next year and the year after they will inevitably use more RAM, and its already starting to happen.

Look at Shadow of Mordor, it has a Minimum Requirement for 3GB and a Recommended RAM of 8GB....

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor/12308/?p=r

Now that being said, from what I understand, once a GPU runs out of VRAM to use it diverts to using your RAM which can result in "laggy" gameplay. I am hoping that the new DDR4 RAM can help reduce that amount of "lag" if the need arouses.