Does resolution play a major role in terms of gpu performance?

Damian Malysza

Hey guys,

Right now I am running a 1680x1050 monitor with an EVGA 660 ti. I'm just wondering if switching to a 1920x1080 res monitor would impact performance when I'm running games. If so, by a lot? Like would I be getting a lot less FPS.

Thanks

Yes. Each pixel on the screen has to be rendered individually, with 1680x1050 you have approximately 1.7million pixels that 60 times a second are updated to display new information. Moving to 1080P gives you roughly 2 million individual pixels that need rendering. You can help reduce the workload by adjusting your optimisation settings for your game; turning down details ect however the 660TI is a pretty powerful card so you should be okay, just don't expect to be able to max completely everything out and not drop frames.

Resolution does play a roll in performance. but running a 660ti i should be gaming at 1920x 1080, you shouldnt notice much performance decrease, if you do adjust the graphics, i run a R7770 1gb amd card at 1920x1080 and its much more under powered then your card, so you are fine.