Samsung loses $12 billion due to slowing S4 sales

TGBSeth

Samsung’s shares slid by over 6% on Friday due to concern over the lack of Galaxy S4 sales being reported by Samsung.  This drop in the Samsung stock has resulted in a total loss of $12 billion.  Another key component of these worries comes from Samsung’s recent announcement of two stripped down versions of the S4, suggesting that they are trying to make up sales by introducing cheaper devices.

FULL STORY: http://www.tgbuzz.com/2013/06/07/samsung-loses-12-billion-due-to-slowing-s4-sales/

Hmm, it is a cool phone but c'mon they thought they could go against the HTC one?

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Hmm, it is a cool phone but c'mon they thought they could go against the HTC one?

The HTC One has horrid battery life, not even half a day medium use.

I think this may be because if anyone wanted to buy a s4 they would have done it already :P

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I think this may be because if anyone wanted to buy a s4 they would have done it already :P

i owned 3 htc smartphones (htc touch diamond,touch diamond2,desire z) none of them lasted more than a 16 hours so its not that bad lol

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

i owned 3 htc smartphones (htc touch diamond,touch diamond2,desire z) none of them lasted more than a 16 hours so its not that bad lol

Since when was that a valid comparison? bad battery life is bad battery life :P

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

What did they expect... Yearly phone iterations rarely work.

As an S3 owner, I have no intentions to upgrade anytime soon. The S4 doesn't offer anything beyond my current phone to warrant an upgrade. Not to mention most people interested in a samsung phone likely got the S3 and are stuck in a 2 or 3 year contract.

The only reason I could see upgrading is if the phone was twice as thick, and that extra room was used to increase the battery life by 5x longer. Several hour battery life just doesn't cut it for me.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

I personally stopped caring ad much for battery life since I usually have a usb battery that can charge my S3 around 3 times without it being charged! And it only cost me 27euros

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

I have a HTC One. I have up to 4 days without charging. Think people just need to setup their devices not to suck the battery dry.

Your profile pic makes me want to throw up.

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

I have a HTC One. I have up to 4 days without charging. Think people just need to setup their devices not to suck the battery dry.

Oh I did, Nothing was sucking the battery out. It was shitting out profusely!

I'll be looking into the stock android S4, should it be avaiable here [otherwise I'll just flash it] but the S4 is the phone I'll be getting in a few months when I get my contract renewal. [We get em much cheaper / 1€ with a new contract]

I played with the HTC one yesterday, while waiting for my ticket number to be called at a tech store, didn't like it very much.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I had the s3 since day one, but i saw the s4 yesterday and its no different whatsoever except from a tiny increase in screen size.

For me i'm waiting for the Note 3. Yearly phones never work except from the hardcore fans who must have everything Apple make......      But in samsungs case

LEL. did you read the crappy reviews from The Verge/Engadget or have you actually owned the device? No? Then please don't generalize. Anandtech did a comprehensive battery rundown and they had no complaints vs. the S4.

I personally stopped caring ad much for battery life since I usually have a usb battery that can charge my S3 around 3 times without it being charged! And it only cost me 27euros

This. Even if battery life on the One was as bad as people make it out to be wireless charging and battery packs solve this issue. I've never had any complaints with my 920 battery wise simply because I have a wireless charger at work which I can just pop it on without thinking twice or messing with cables etc.

3x Dell U2412M |Silverstone FT03 | Maximus V Gene | 3770K @ 4.5Ghz 1.2V | SLI GTX780 | Mushkin Ridgeback 8GB 1600 CL7 | Corsair AX760

Oh I did, Nothing was sucking the battery out. It was shitting out profusely!

Oh ok, I think I would return that phone then. Sound like a "broken" battery.

Samsung deserve that. That phone is equivalent to a decent car for a bigginer driver. 

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

LEL. did you read the crappy reviews from The Verge/Engadget or have you actually owned the device? No? Then please don't generalize. Anandtech did a comprehensive battery rundown and they had no complaints vs. the S4.

I convinced my father to buy one, it had a weird screen flip out glitch as well. He's since returned it and is waiting to be shipped a replacement.

Other than getting a defective unit, I actually really like it. Even the stock ROM I enjoy :D

I convinced my father to buy one, it had a weird screen flip out glitch as well. He's since returned it and is waiting to be shipped a replacement.

Other than getting a defective unit, I actually really like it. Even the stock ROM I enjoy :D

A defective unit would explain the battery problems. However that's no indication of the battery life for non defective units.

As for Sense...it's definitely better than sense 2.0 from the old 2.3 days. That said their UI still drives me crazy...still better than TouchWizz though, which hasn't changed since Gingerbread. Fun Fact Samsung's UI actually originated from Tizen, which is why I've been saying for a very long time that the next Galaxy flagship sold in Asia could potentially be running Tizen OS.

Really tempted to either get a Google HTC One or wait for the Nokia EOS.

Nokia%20EOS%20back.jpg?itok=16MTwVJW

3x Dell U2412M |Silverstone FT03 | Maximus V Gene | 3770K @ 4.5Ghz 1.2V | SLI GTX780 | Mushkin Ridgeback 8GB 1600 CL7 | Corsair AX760

I really want to get the google htc one, but it's not offered at sprint. :angry: Also the HTC One has almost identical battery life to the s4 since the s4 has a slightly bigger battery but the screen is bigger and runs 200mhz faster.

Well there is the yearly iteration thing, then there is the whole, lets announce a stock android experience phone 2 months before we release it. (If you have half a brain you would wait).

One thing I'll be looking forward to is the Texas made Moto X 

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

Hopefully this will make them consider making a decent quality phone and not continue with their plasticy, crashy guff S series.

Hopefully this will make them consider making a decent quality phone and not continue with their plasticy, crashy guff S series.

Nothing inherently wrong with the S series however new iterations should be based on new and great tech.

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

HTC One's battery life is about the same as the S4 (marginal difference, dependent from each individual phone).

But you do have a point, if I wanted an S4 I would've already bought it, so unless it drops in price, I don't think they will see their sales getting much better.

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

I own a One. have your brightness on auto, use power toggles and don't have wi-fi on when you don't need it and it easily lasts a day and a night with decent usage. Stop bashing battery life on phones. They have to power quad core phone processors and 1080p screens. Daily charging is a must with new phones. Get over it.

"Don't make a girl a promise, if you know you can't keep it" | "Didn't you hear? Spartans never die."

-Gaming- FX 8150 @ 4.2GHz, HD 7870 Tahiti LE 2GB @ 1.1GHz, ASRock 990FX Extreme3, 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz, WIndows 10, Custom Watercooled, NZXT Switch 810

-Audio Editing/Mixing- Mac Mini Late 2014, Core i7 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, 2TB Fusion Drive, OSX 10.12 El Captain -Phone- HTC One M7 32GB

The only real drain on battery life in smart phones is games and things like Wi-Fi,3/4G and uber bright screens. Just limit your game usage and keep your screen at an appropriate brightness level to your surroundings and you'll be fine.

"Don't make a girl a promise, if you know you can't keep it" | "Didn't you hear? Spartans never die."

-Gaming- FX 8150 @ 4.2GHz, HD 7870 Tahiti LE 2GB @ 1.1GHz, ASRock 990FX Extreme3, 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz, WIndows 10, Custom Watercooled, NZXT Switch 810

-Audio Editing/Mixing- Mac Mini Late 2014, Core i7 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, 2TB Fusion Drive, OSX 10.12 El Captain -Phone- HTC One M7 32GB

The only real drain on battery life in smart phones is games and things like Wi-Fi,3/4G and uber bright screens. Just limit your game usage and keep your screen at an appropriate brightness level to your surroundings and you'll be fine.

That stuff does help the battery life but overall, it is still really bad on a lot of phones.