An enthusiasts guide to MPC-HC + madVR

MPC-HC%20Guide%20Image.png

I finally created uploaded my updated readme and files for MPC-HC + madVR. I have actually been working on this for a number of years for my self and friends.

Originally I posted this for the members of the Anime Club http://goo.gl/D37X4l . Some users thought it would be better to have a topic dedicated to this for the entire forum. This should make updates and support easier.

Many of us care about the visual quality of our games, yet many don't really pay any mind to video. Im hoping this will do that and well enough so that it might even get stickied.

Here are the Decoders https://goo.gl/OZJY6N

Here is the latest draft of my new readme http://goo.gl/rlJsFn along with the "amazing" original one http://goo.gl/s2tC1Q

The test files mentioned in the readme are all available here descriptions of each are available in the below post.

I no longer have a AMD gpu and have not yet tracked someone down willing to make the AMD GPU ini for this, so for now the ini is Nvidia only. The quick directions to setup the settings for AMD are below. There is also a way to do Intel iGPU as well and ill be looking into that once my 20th Anniversary Pentium Build comes together.

Spoiler

View > Options > Internal Filters
under "Internal LAV Filters settings" click "Video decoder"
This should bring up the "Properties"/"Video Settings" window for the video decoder
under "Harder Acceleration" change "Hardware Decoder to use:" to "DXVA2 (copy-back)
then under "Software Deinterlacing (YADIF)" check the box for "Enable YADIF Deinterlacing"
leave the "Output Mode" at "50p/60p (Video)" unless you know for sure your monitor supports a 25hz/30hz
click the "Ok" button in the "Properties" window
click the "Ok" button in the "Options" window
close and then reopen MPC-HC for the setting to take effect

I still haven't managed to write anything up about configuring madVR. My main suggestion/hint is that its basically like configuring a game. So I threw some basics together for madVR below. If you have any more questions please ask. It has good info in the program as well as good support on doom9.

Addition: Thanks to @MyInnerFred >_> I created examples and somewhat of a guide for madVR later in the thread. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/241957-an-enthusiasts-guide-to-mpc-hc-madvr/?p=5562955

Spoiler

***the below steps are from the original readme slightly modified and continue from where I left off. This is just a starting point as there are far more options now then when I originally wrote this. I may find a way for at least the default settings to have a config file.***

to edit madVR settings
open a video and pause it
right click the video and click Filters > madVR
Click edit settings
click and expand devices then click your device
set the device type
expand your device and set the display mode *if you don't know what display mode you should set, ask
click and expand processing
turn of all decoding and deinterlacing
click and expand scaling algorithms
click chroma upscaling and set it to Catmull-Rom
click luma upscaling and set it to Catmull-Rom and check scale in linear light
click luma downscaling and set it to Catmull-Rom and check scale in linear light
click and expand rendering and click smooth motion
check enable and click only if judder without it
click dithering
click error diffusion option 2 and check both options
hit apply the ok at the bottom then ok and the window that is still on screen
close MPC-HC
reopen MPC-HC and play a video (one of the test files will work fine)
press Ctrl+J and madVR stats should show up on screen
you average rendering stat when watching full screen should be below that of you frame rate (24fps = 41.6ms, 25fps = 40ms, 30fps = 33.3ms, 50fps = 20ms, and 60fps = 16.6ms)

*if you have problems with performance its probably because you dont have a powerful enough GPU. First try lowering dithering to ordered dithering and disabling linear light in up and downscaling. If this still doesn't solve it please ask.*

If you have any questions, ideas, or suggestions for the new readme and/or thread please let me know! Heck, if you have any question as to why this may or may not be worth your time I can answer that too.

On a side note MPC-HC alone is better than VLC. This is just another thing that makes it even better. ;)

Here is a description of the test files that I have encoded so you have an idea before downloading. They are just 100MB chunks of the final files but are enough for testing. There should be enough variance here so that you can test just about anything in MPC-HC/madVR as well as hardware decoding with just about anything else after changing the container from mkv to mp4. There is no need to convert to mp4, just change the container (not the same as changing the extension).

Test File 01 - 1080p | Hi10P | 24fps

Test File 02 - 1080p | HiP | 30fps | (encoded for BD compatibility)

Test File 03 - 720p | HiP | 24fps | (encoded for full DXVA compatibility)

Test File 04 - 480p | BP | 60fps | (encoded for full Portable compatibility) *minus PSP and iPod Classic

Test File 05 - 720p | Hi444P | 24fps

Test File 06 - 480p | MP | 60fps | (encoded for full SD DXVA compatibility)

Test File 07 - 1080p | HiP | 24fps | (encoded for full HD DXVA compatibility)

Explanation of Description:

Resolution - H.264 Profile - Framerate - Hardware Compatibility

If you have any question about these or what scripts I used to encode them let me know I would be happy to respond.

Reserved for updates and other notes.

Remove incomplete stuff from the next draft to stop confusion with "*indicates incomplete or not fully realized steps".

Alternate toolbar icons are now an option as of the latest version and will be added to the next version of the readme.

Add links to software and support pages to the thread and readme.

Media Player Classic! Better than VLC!

And that's not all!

Down with VLC! Fight the POWER!

Media Player Classic! Better than VLC!

But... but... I stopped using mpc in favor of vlc years ago. :( lol I have not used mpc in a long time

But... but... I stopped using mpc in favor of vlc years ago. :( lol I have not used mpc in a long time

Why would you do that, WHY. Also you have had this available for some time now, actually so long that its somewhat out of date. Y you no do that?

Why would you do that, WHY. Also you have had this available for some time now, actually so long that its somewhat out of date. Y you no do that?

Because i never even use vlc or any media player anymore other then maybe music once every few months

Because i never even use vlc or any media player anymore other then maybe music once every few months

Well see there is your problem. I thought I fixed that BTW.

Nope still have not fixed that you may if I ever get bartender

DONE!

I would give my guide posted here a look over, it's the same general concept except using MPC-BE.

I would give my guide posted here a look over, it's the same general concept except using MPC-BE.

You no longer need to install LAVFilters and the included ini does all the setting up for you except when it comes to madVR (which I am working on). Also MPC-BE is just a break off from MPC-HC due to something that happened.

You no longer need to install LAVFilters and the included ini does all the setting up for you except when it comes to madVR (which I am working on). Also MPC-BE is just a break off from MPC-HC due to something that happened.

MPC-BE from what I can tell still uses ffmpeg, personally I see that as a plus since you can download and setup the latest LAV Filters to your liking. MPC-BE is based on MPC-HC, tho I feel as it's far more polished than MPC-HC (MPC-BE fixed 481+ bugs that MPC-HC originally had). Plus it offers a nice black UI out of the box and critical additional features not found in MPC-HC.

MPC-BE from what I can tell still uses ffmpeg, personally I see that as a plus since you can download and setup the latest LAV Filters to your liking. MPC-BE is based on MPC-HC, tho I feel as it's far more polished than MPC-HC (MPC-BE fixed 481+ bugs that MPC-HC originally had). Plus it offers a nice black UI out of the box and critical additional features not found in MPC-HC.

MPC-HC integrated LAVFilters because once they were all one batch no one really used anything but them and if you do you still can using external filters. Each build of MPC-HC comes with the latest LAVFilters out at the time. They have even coordinated one or two updates. One really nice thing about it being built in is that the ini can actually hold the settings for the filters as well. This totally and completely removes the need to have a guide for them, or will once I have AMD and Intel variants. The main creation of MPC-BE was because of the user interface and the fact that they wouldnt code in a theme switch of sorts if I recall. i dont really see the need for teh black UI as there is barely any UI and full screen there is none. I would actually love to know which bugs have been fixed that still arnt in MPC-HC. I believe that was anything thing the guy who start MPC-BE didnt like, the time between updates and possibly the rate issues got resolved.

I really have nothing against MPC-BE its just that I believe MPC-HC to be a better solution. It also makes more sense in teh case of my readme as it really simplifies things with the use of the ini file. If you check out the original readme you can see that it cover many more things including much of what you did. I choose to completely redo it because a hand full of people used it or tried and said it was rather hard to follow. I have been using MPC-HC long before its name got shortened, beak when you you wanted a separate external decoder for everything.

"cough" Winamp "Cough"

*cough* we need to have a talk *cough* *cough* wait didnt we already have this talk *cough cough cough*

Also winamp was always more of a music player than a video player. It did have some amazing visualizers though, Milkdrop *drooooooooooooool*.

*cough* we need to have a talk *cough* *cough* wait didnt we already have this talk *cough cough cough*

Also winamp was always more of a music player than a video player. It did have some amazing visualizers though, Milkdrop *drooooooooooooool*.

yeah i know, Man i used winamp alot years ago...i remember someone was streaming (or whatever it was) Chobits and FSN on it and i was up aalllll night watching them for the first time, crap quality mind you but sooo worth it.

memories <3

Ok SOOO off topic now...

This mojo works. De end. GG Prof, now you just need to make an All in one installer.

yeah i know, Man i used winamp alot years ago...i remember someone was streaming (or whatever it was) Chobits and FSN on it and i was up aalllll night watching them for the first time, crap quality mind you but sooo worth it.

memories <3

Ok SOOO off topic now...

This mojo works. De end. GG Prof, now you just need to make an All in one installer.

now thats an idea. I think i would have to have all variants of the ini files worked out though, as well as images. i would be nice to be able to import madVR settings as well. There is definitely a way to save them but I dont know about exporting it.

For now do you think its easy enough? What about compared to the original readme? (if your taken a peek at it)

MPC-HC integrated LAVFilters because once they were all one batch no one really used anything but them and if you do you still can using external filters. Each build of MPC-HC comes with the latest LAVFilters out at the time. They have even coordinated one or two updates. One really nice thing about it being built in is that the ini can actually hold the settings for the filters as well. This totally and completely removes the need to have a guide for them, or will once I have AMD and Intel variants. The main creation of MPC-BE was because of the user interface and the fact that they wouldnt code in a theme switch of sorts if I recall. i dont really see the need for teh black UI as there is barely any UI and full screen there is none. I would actually love to know which bugs have been fixed that still arnt in MPC-HC. I believe that was anything thing the guy who start MPC-BE didnt like, the time between updates and possibly the rate issues got resolved.

I really have nothing against MPC-BE its just that I believe MPC-HC to be a better solution. It also makes more sense in teh case of my readme as it really simplifies things with the use of the ini file. If you check out the original readme you can see that it cover many more things including much of what you did. I choose to completely redo it because a hand full of people used it or tried and said it was rather hard to follow. I have been using MPC-HC long before its name got shortened, beak when you you wanted a separate external decoder for everything.

It may be helpful to those looking for a much simpler way to get better quality playback since they won't have to toy with LAV Filter settings. Tho the nerdy side of myself (also being a tech based forum) says most people don't mind taking the few minutes for the one time setup. MPC-BE also takes a similar approach to how MPC-HC dumps its settings to a configuration file, tho instead MPC-BE stores all of its settings in registry keys (you can import and export them under Miscellaneous -> Settings management). As for the bug fixes you can view a complete changelog of what MPC-BE has done here.

now thats an idea. I think i would have to have all variants of the ini files worked out though, as well as images. i would be nice to be able to import madVR settings as well. There is definitely a way to save them but I dont know about exporting it.

For now do you think its easy enough? What about compared to the original readme? (if your taken a peek at it)

Once you alter madVR settings they are stored in settings.bin within the madVR folder.

Why don't you guys drop everything and just use Daum Pot player for everything.  The customization of that media player is insane and it gets regular updates to boot. 

I've got a pure AMD build if you want...

Although, I did use the Coalgirls guide to MPC-HC and madVR...

Why don't you guys drop everything and just use Daum Pot player for everything.  The customization of that media player is insane and it gets regular updates to boot.

nah mate windows media player all the way. :D

Steve

It may be helpful to those looking for a much simpler way to get better quality playback since they won't have to toy with LAV Filter settings. Tho the nerdy side of myself (also being a tech based forum) says most people don't mind taking the few minutes for the one time setup. MPC-BE also takes a similar approach to how MPC-HC dumps its settings to a configuration file, tho instead MPC-BE stores all of its settings in registry keys (you can import and export them under Miscellaneous -> Settings management). As for the bug fixes you can view a complete changelog of what MPC-BE has done here.

Once you alter madVR settings they are stored in settings.bin within the madVR folder.

Actually it's not a one time setup because updates will tweak stuff so you have to update usually one or two things each update. Also I know from experience that my last readme that also had full setup of decoders in it was a turn off. Heck this is even to much for some people apparently @Charger . This is what I'm trying to make it as clean and simple of a process as possible where all the tweaking is already done for them. Though madVR will never be 100% as it greatly varies by the power of your system.

I'm pretty sure that by default MPC-HC saves to the registry, or possibly the app data folder. Either way just found that the ini was easier to deal with for me and the people using the readme. I basically makes setting up MPC-HC and internal lav filters two steps.

I think I tried that for madVR before and ran into to something but I'll give it another crack.

Because this has plenty of options as well. Actually im trying to think of options that this doesnt have that one might way and none come to mind. Other options that do stuff like this are zoom player and JRiver Media Center which both offer comparable flexibility. From my experience and for the purpose of watching video's MPC-HC has just been a great light weight clean simple solution.

The whole point of this is that I go through all of the options and setup what I have determined over a number of years is a great optimized experience. This means that people dont have to do most of the research, testing, and troubleshooting. The ini by no means locks the settings so you can go and change whatever you wish. I dont know what you would want to change but hey if someone finds a setting they think improve the experience let em know and ill look into it.

Also you have to remember the reason that people stick with stuff like VLC. To compete with that I would like to make this as simple and straight forward as I can. This is actually the second crack I have taken at writing a guide for this. The second go thrown out because before it was completed MPC-HC integrated LAV significantly shortening the process.

Actually it's not a one time setup because updates will tweak stuff so you have to update usually one or two things each update. Also I know from experience that my last readme that also had full setup of decoders in it was a turn off. Heck this is even to much for some people apparently @Charger . This is what I'm trying to make it as clean and simple of a process as possible where all the tweaking is already done for them. Though madVR will never be 100% as it greatly varies by the power of your system.

I'm pretty sure that by default MPC-HC saves to the registry, or possibly the app data folder. Either way just found that the ini was easier to deal with for me and the people using the readme. I basically makes setting up MPC-HC and internal lav filters two steps.

I think I tried that for madVR before and ran into to something but I'll give it another crack.

Updates should not alter your configuration with MPC-BE, the settings are stored in the registry exactly for that reason (avoid being overwritten).