Anyone else having issues with new YouTube 60fps support?

So basically the videos and INCREDIBLY choppy/jumpy/laggy/glitchy/ when trying to watch 60fps footage on Youtube. Is anyone else getting this? Maybe 25% of the video will actually be smooth. It's like it's at 5fps and jumping back and forth a frame or 2 all the time.

POSSIBLE FIX ------------

I've been having the same issue, I'm thinking it must be a bug in my GPU driver (AMD 6970) or Chrome, or a combination.

I managed to fix it by doing the following:
  • Go to chrome://flags
  • Find the "Disable hardware-accelerated video decode" setting
  • Enable it
  • Close chrome, really close it... open your task manager to kill all lingering chrome processes.. or just restart your PC
  • Start it up again
  • Smooth 1080p@60 videos!

Specs are on my profile page

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number

CPU? GPU? OS? Browser?

I would try it out, but I don't have the bandwidth...

Sig under construction.

i just uploaded, kick it at 720p or 1080p and it works

dont kill me for linking, i used hitfilm 2 to upload btw. Just wanted to show you it works

use chrome, let the video buffer, make sure your pc isnt bad.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Nope, not at all. Not on my PC at home nor on the PC at my school :)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

CPU? GPU? OS? Browser?

On my profile. I'm using Chrome.

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number

So basically the videos and INCREDIBLY choppy/jumpy/laggy/glitchy/ when trying to watch 60fps footage on Youtube. Is anyone else getting this? Maybe 25% of the video will actually be smooth. It's like it's at 5fps and jumping back and forth a frame or 2 all the time.

Do you have a strong system? I am tying to find out if people with weak computers are the ones having this issue because as far as I have seen it's isolated to laptops. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Nope, not at all. Not on my PC at home nor on the PC at my school :)

Yeah, interestingly it doesn't seem to use any more CPU/GPU/RAM on my Hackintosh to play 60FPS video, even 4K.

For me, using Firefox with forced flash (I edited my user agent), videos that are at 60fps don't just not play at 60fps, they don't play at all. They seem to work (at 30pfs) using the HTML5 player, but that is limited to 720p, which I refuse to use.

HTTP/2 203

On my profile. I'm using Chrome.

Update Chrome, maybe try using the Beta build, and update to the latest Windows/GPU drivers.

Otherwise, try a different browser and see if it's still slow; ironically, it might just be Chrome bugging out.

I also get really horrid issues with the entire player when I try and watch standard 4K. 1440p is fine.

For me, using Firefox with forced flash (I edited my user agent), videos that are at 60fps don't just not play at 60fps, they don't play at all. They seem to work (at 30pfs) using the HTML5 player, but that is limited to 720p, which I refuse to use.

Yeah, 60FPS needs the HTML5 player; YT is (thankfully) slowly dropping Flash support.'

Don't know about Firefox, but the new Safari on Yosemite runs even 4K 60FPS perfectly fine.

Update Chrome, maybe try using the Beta build, and update to the latest Windows/GPU drivers.

Otherwise, try a different browser and see if it's still slow; ironically, it might just be Chrome bugging out.

Chrome and GPU drivers are up to date. Windows, not so much, but that shouldn't be the problem as it's not /that/ out of date.

I also get really horrid issues with the entire player when I try and watch standard 4K. 1440p is fine.

This may be a stupid idea, but make sure you're using the GPU, not the iGPU, if there's a setting for that.

dis is cool 

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Chrome and GPU drivers are up to date. Windows, not so much, but that shouldn't be the problem as it's not /that/ out of date.

Update anyway :P

You never know what bugs Microsoft fixed since the last time you updated.

Yeah, 60FPS needs the HTML5 player; YT is (thankfully) slowly dropping Flash support.'

Don't know about Firefox, but the new Safari on Yosemite runs even 4K 60FPS perfectly fine.

YouTube doesn't support 60fps on Firefox no matter what tricks you use, but unfortunately Firefox currently doesn't support the features necessary for even 1080p@30fps on YouTube (it's deliberate by YT and will be fixed on FF in the next few releases).

EDIT: Actually it seems to have partial support. Kinda. After messing around with about:config.

HTTP/2 203

i just uploaded, kick it at 720p or 1080p and it works

dont kill me for linking, i used hitfilm 2 to upload btw. Just wanted to show you it works

use chrome, let the video buffer, make sure your pc isnt bad.

720p60 is fine for that video. 1080p60 has a heart attack even when fully buffered.

Update anyway :P

You never know what bugs Microsoft fixed since the last time you updated.

I'm noticing that Chrome itself seem to slow to a halt until I pause the video.

720p60 is fine for that video. 1080p60 has a heart attack even when fully buffered.

That seems very odd, make sure all your drivers are up to date, that seems very odd.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

The only issues I'm having with the new 60fps are all the scrublords in the comments that think there's no difference xD

Git Gud.

I'm gonna update windows and see if that helps.

I'm noticing that Chrome itself seem to slow to a halt until I pause the video.

Try Firefox!

YouTube doesn't support 60fps on Firefox no matter what tricks you use, but unfortunately Firefox currently doesn't support the features necessary for even 1080p@30fps on YouTube (it's deliberate by YT and will be fixed on FF in the next few releases).

EDIT: Actually it seems to have partial support. Kinda. After messing around with about:config.

Really? That's so dumb!

I recalled playing 1080p video on Firefox though... Does FF not support the HTML5 player?