i7 4770K Overheating Issues.

MRSUPERNOVA

Hello Master Race PC Builders and People Smarter than me.

I have an Intel 4770k that I have had for a couple months, and it has this thing as soon as I start Prime 95 the temperature on HW Monitor hits 100 degrees instantly, and then I start to think that if it's misreading or it might burn up the chip so I don't put it on load too much.
I have installed Intel stock cooler, and a Corsair H100i and the temperature still hits 100 degrees instantly. The temperature always fluctuates and that sort of stuff. I tried contacting Intel support but they are very helpful. 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/37odx4m9k8x3tnd/ToIntel.PNG?dl=0
Anybody who can maybe help me please.
Gaming Desktop 
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 
Processor - i7 4770k Quad Core 
Graphics Card - EVGA GTX 780 ACX 3GB 
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz (2 x 4GB) 
Solid State Drive - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
Hard drive - Seagate 1TB 7200RPM 
Cooling - Corsair H100i 
Power Supply - Thermaltake Toughpower 650W 80PLUS GOLD 
Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 

Those are the specs of my computer if that helps at all..

DO NOT use prime 95
always use intel XTU for stress testing

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I have an Intel 4770k that I have had for a couple months, and it has this thing as soon as I start Prime 95 the temperature on HW Monitor hits 100 degrees instantly, and then I start to think that if it's misreading or it might burn up the chip so I don't put it on load too much.

What did Intel say?

"Rawr XD"

What did Intel say?

Thank you for contacting Intel® Technical Support.

Please note the following:

In regards overclocking the processor, even when some of the Intel's processors such as the Intel® Core I7-4770k, doing this practice must be done only under extreme circumstances. The main reason is that under these extreme temperatures, the life span of the processor might get impacted negatively. Therefore Overclocking practice of any processor is not covered by the standard original processor warranty. 

If overclocking your processor is a must for you, then we highly recommend you to get the Intel® Performance Tuning Protection Plan (link provided down below). This extra Warranty will cover your processor even for damages produce by overheating including by overclocking reasons. 

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

I will close this case but If you have already this plan and want to replace the processor please call us at 916 377 7000 with ticket number 916 377 7000 and we re-open the case for you.

-snip-

Well that helped. 

Unless you want to do the TIM mod then there's not much to do. Since it's an original Haswell chip (not refresh), there are some chips that have issues with the thermal paste between the underside of the heat spreader and the CPU die itself. Since you've tried different coolers and the temperature issue still occurs, I'd say that the TIM is where the problem lies.

"Rawr XD"

Well that helped. 

Unless you want to do the TIM mod then there's not much to do. Since it's an original Haswell chip (not refresh), there are some chips that have issues with the thermal paste between the underside of the heat spreader and the CPU die itself. Since you've tried different coolers and the temperature issue still occurs, I'd say that the TIM is where the problem lies.

Well so Intel won't do anything about that? I've seen videos on people using razor blade to lift the shield, although I don't know if Intel's warranty would do. Because I don't want to risk breaking the processor.

Try using RealTemp. Then also try putting the CPU back at stock speeds and see if that makes a difference.

The CPU is at stock everything. 

Realtemp yet? So far, I have yet to find a better temp measuring software.

Well I am pretty sure it's not the software that's the issue. I am sorry, also my desktop isn't hooked up to the internet at the moment,. Because of Canada and the bandwidth cap

Well I am pretty sure it's not the software that's the issue. I am sorry, also my desktop isn't hooked up to the internet at the moment,. Because of Canada and the bandwidth cap

Download to other device, use USB stuff and go? I can email the .zip or something if you want.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Download to other device, use USB stuff and go? I can email the .zip or something if you want.

Yeah, So I downloaded it and did the stress tests that intel suggests.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7k8ieapu8cssftp/RunningTestSimulatenously.PNG?dl=0

The first test was ran while intels diagnostic tool was running (for the beginning)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hi3cihoj6r7n324/RunningTestAfter.PNG?dl=0

And those are the temperatures after, however this is with h100i cooling. And a lot of airflow in the pc

Yeah, So I downloaded it and did the stress tests that intel suggests.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7k8ieapu8cssftp/RunningTestSimulatenously.PNG?dl=0

The first test was ran while intels diagnostic tool was running (for the beginning)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hi3cihoj6r7n324/RunningTestAfter.PNG?dl=0

And those are the temperatures after, however this is with h100i cooling. And a lot of airflow in the pc

Your temps are superb it would appear...

I see nothing higher than a 45 Celcius anywhere.

Here's a Tom's Hardware article relating to other users of the 4770k http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1961787/4770k-temperatures-normal.html

Hope this helps out a bit.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Your temps are superb it would appear...

I see nothing higher than a 45 Celcius anywhere.

Here's a Tom's Hardware article relating to other users of the 4770k http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1961787/4770k-temperatures-normal.html

Hope this helps out a bit.

I was getting 100 degrees as you could see in the 2nd picture, I got it on 2 cores, and I have watercooling, that isn't normal is it?

I was getting 100 degrees as you could see in the 2nd picture, I got it on 2 cores, and I have watercooling, that isn't normal is it?

AH I see I see. Hmm. Can you RMA the H100i? Was any of your other important hardware hitting crazy high temps??

Try different thermal paste? I dunno man, my guess is something's wrong with the application of the Corsair. Did you put thermal paste back on it after resetting it each time? You need to do that ya know.

Overall from your situation I believe its the cooler not the cpu. it could be a problem with the waterblock against the cpu.  Make sure its on their properly.  Maybe remove it, clean it and the cpu.  Apply some fresh thermal paste.  Make sure your fans are on (it seems obvious I know) and that their plugged in to molex not the motherboard.  If they can only be pluged into the motherboard make sure u set the bios to have the fans running at max.  U may also want to get some new fans or try installing different ones to see if it makes a difference.  Use coretemp to monitor CPU temps.  U may just have a gunked up cooler tho so the coolant isn't flowing properly.  Also I found this on the cooler. 

Skip to 7:35 to see what Linus has to say about the fans

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNEuSRc6xt8

4770K have very low quality thermal paste between the die and the IHS.You could use razorblades to remove the IHS and change the thermal paste (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXs0I5kuoX4).

You could also sell the current cpu and get a 4790K, that solves the overheating issues.

"like if you could buy two Xbox Ones, put them togheter and actually play games at 1080P! Ha! BURN"

-Linus

Just forwarding what this guy said as people seem to have disregarded it completely.. 

DO NOT use prime 95
always use intel XTU for stress testing

going on about bad tim causing instant 100*c, guys, it isn't that frigging bad.

It's not like the die doesn't make any contact with the outer shell. If it was that bad it would be time to rma,

because that isn't normal. I assume you cleaned it thoroughly each time, and carefully reapplied the correct amount of paste.

Even if you didn't it wouldn't cause extreme problems like this.

not entirely certain if they have done an update for this or not.

But P95 is known to cause problems with haswell, it messes with the voltage.

Overall from your situation I believe its the cooler not the cpu. it could be a problem with the waterblock against the cpu.  Make sure its on their properly.  Maybe remove it, clean it and the cpu.  Apply some fresh thermal paste.  Make sure your fans are on (it seems obvious I know) and that their plugged in to molex not the motherboard.  If they can only be pluged into the motherboard make sure u set the bios to have the fans running at max.  U may also want to get some new fans or try installing different ones to see if it makes a difference.  Use coretemp to monitor CPU temps.  U may just have a gunked up cooler tho so the coolant isn't flowing properly.  Also I found this on the cooler. 

Skip to 7:35 to see what Linus has to say about the fans

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNEuSRc6xt8

I've installed both the stock and aftermarket cooling on this processor, because I thought about it being the cooler. But even with the stock intel cooler as soon as you stress test  it hits the temperature immediately.

Just forwarding what this guy said as people seem to have disregarded it completely.. 

going on about bad tim causing instant 100*c, guys, it isn't that frigging bad.

It's not like the die doesn't make any contact with the outer shell. If it was that bad it would be time to rma,

because that isn't normal. I assume you cleaned it thoroughly each time, and carefully reapplied the correct amount of paste.

Even if you didn't it wouldn't cause extreme problems like this.

not entirely certain if they have done an update for this or not.

But P95 is known to cause problems with haswell, it messes with the voltage.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind.

• 4 years later...
On 10/27/2014 at 1:49 AM, MRSUPERNOVA said:

Hello Master Race PC Builders and People Smarter than me.

I have installed Intel stock cooler, and a Corsair H100i and the temperature still hits 100 degrees instantly. The temperature always fluctuates and that sort of stuff. I tried contacting Intel support but they are very helpful. 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/37odx4m9k8x3tnd/ToIntel.PNG?dl=0
Anybody who can maybe help me please.
Gaming Desktop 
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 
Processor - i7 4770k Quad Core 
Graphics Card - EVGA GTX 780 ACX 3GB 
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz (2 x 4GB) 
Solid State Drive - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
Hard drive - Seagate 1TB 7200RPM 
Cooling - Corsair H100i 
Power Supply - Thermaltake Toughpower 650W 80PLUS GOLD 
Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 

Those are the specs of my computer if that helps at all..

i have the similar issue with my setup it has worked for years, it happened after a recent windows update used to have a steady 27c idle and maybe 40-50c heavy load now is shoots up to 100 right away and my cooler manages to lower it to about 90 at full fans 

link overview.png