Stereo or 7.1?

ManOfDisguise

Want a new headset (pls dont reccomend headphones w standalone mic audiophiles) and I like how 7.1 lets you know exactly where the sound is coming from. I have a stereo headset(well had) Siberias V2 but they broke. They are ok but I feel like 7.1 is much better in directional sound and gives a better experience.

Stereo or 7.1? Which is better and why?(for games)

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

That depends if the games you play support 7.1 audio, which most dont.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Shopping for a surround headset can be frustrating as some companies just throw in an DSP in order to emulate a surround experience on a stereo headset. If you're interested in one make sure you check the specs. If the do not clearly label multiple drivers per ear cup don't buy it.

And while we're at it, what's your budget?

Also should it be wireless?

Specific color?

On ear or over ear?

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

honestly i prefer stereo but that is because i don't really hear a difference in directional sound (probably just my ears). i feel like this whole 7.1 surround is just a gimmick introduced by companies. I once saw a video where some guys talked about how your mind can influence the way you hear things. You expect to hear things that aren't even there and you still get the impression that you can actually hear them.

I use turtle beaches x41 wireless 7.1, which is really is 5.1 with the last channel emulated.

anyhow i had stero ones and now that i'm on surround i couldn't go back. hearing the direction not just which side gives you the edge in any competitive games, crack up the volume and you can hear them walking behide you.

will say when i first got them it was horried you hear so much going on in games that you need to learn to focus on the sounds that matters and getting hit with a sniper is loud as f**k

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Shopping for a surround headset can be frustrating as some companies just throw in an DSP in order to emulate a surround experience on a stereo headset. If you're interested in one make sure you check the specs. If the do not clearly label multiple drivers per ear cup don't buy it.

And while we're at it, what's your budget?

Also should it be wireless?

Specific color?

On ear or over ear?

don't know yet. could go up if my warranty on siberias v2 goes good and i get back my money :P

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

7.1 is a gimmick. Any stereo headset can emulate 5.1/7.1 through software. Most modern games have built-in headphone surround modes and Razer offers a free software that does the same thing all those virtual 7.1 headsets do. Most on-board chips even have a headphone surround option. If you want the best possible surround experience, look for stereo headset that has good soundstage and imaging. Open headphones tend to be far superior in that aspect. Something like Sennheiser PC360/G4ME One would be an example of proper open headset. A cheaper option could be Qpad QH-85 (open version of the QH-90 which is the same headset as the much recommended HyperX Cloud).

Why do you need to ask if you already know and prefer 7.1?

You really need to look into how binaural recording works, and that will basically tell you that you don't need 7.1 in headphones to have good directional sound. More less so because the speakers sit so close together that you won't get any advantages of having 7.1 in headphones. Also the .1 (usually means subwoofer), where do they put that speaker? Is it a vibrating but plug?

Get a pair of headphones with good soundstaging. Or headset if you prefer. A lot of people recommend the HyperX Clouds, because you get a lot of value for your money with those. I'd recommend them as well owning a pair of Takstar Pro80 myself, which they are based on.

Do you have the money?

http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/products/product.asp?catID=5&subID=60&prodID=4472

http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/Sound_Cards_Products/

You might get them in http://www.thomann.de/, they are very reputable seller, they ship almost anywhere

You might even ask them to get them for you.

How much dosh are you willing to spend?

Want a new headset (pls dont reccomend headphones w standalone mic audiophiles) and I like how 7.1 lets you know exactly where the sound is coming from. I have a stereo headset(well had) Siberias V2 but they broke. They are ok but I feel like 7.1 is much better in directional sound and gives a better experience.

Stereo or 7.1? Which is better and why?(for games)

I wouldn't say surround is a gimmick at all.  The number of specified channels might be (such as advertising 5.1 or 7.1) a marketing ploy, but directional sound in a two-driver headset/headphone is definitely there.   

I read many user reviews of several different kinds of surround headsets before I chose the Astro A40 audio system early this year.  The common theme I put together from other customer reviewers (I paid most attention to people that used multiple brands) is that none of them are perfect, but the A40s are the best at what's available.  The amp it comes with has a switch to turn off the digital processing, and there's for sure a difference.  It's not perfect like having discreet speakers in a home theater, but I don't think any headset ever will be.  

I don't think any headset ever will be.  

Headset alone with dolby surround or some kind surround definitly not.

but a soundcard/onboard with support for dolby surround ( i think xonar dg is the lowest end that support it ) make the choice easier, just buy a headset / headphone

the best headphone for positioning ad700 and ad700x and ATH-ADG1 as headset

it is perfect.

Stereo easily its a lot crisper in my opinion I have had true 5.1, simulated 7.1 and stereo headphones and always prefer stereo and I game a lot.

My Rig : Zotac 780 3GB, i5 4670k, H105, M1211 650W, 8GB 2133mhz vengence pro, Mini R2, 144Hz AOC Gsync Monitor

Accessories : K65, Naos 3200, Superlux 681, Chord CCU1