Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Majinferno

Should I be concerned about this being out-dated? [update]

Posted · Original PosterOP

Old

Looking to go through thenewboston's C++ Tutorial after being introduced by a friend. However I noticed the tutorial started in 2011. Is this a problem? I wouldn't want to go through with the tutorial only to find things have drastically changed in C++.

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAE85DE8440AA6B83

I was thinking the same thing about his android development playlist, but I'm sure that development has changed alot due to kitkat and L.

UPDATE: I've switched to java. However, it seems thenewbostons java tuts were made in 2009 :o
playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFE2CE09D83EE3E28

Is this a problem? I wish to learn java in preparation for android development. I get my oneplus one in dDecember

I don't think languages change that much over years, only really Python does that I'm awar of

Spoiler

Main PC || CPU - Xeon E3 1231 V3 || Motherboard - MSI Z97 PC Mate || CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || RAM - 1x8GB HyperX Fury Blue || Graphics card - MSI TwinFrozr V GTX 970 || Storage - 1x BX100 250GB, 1x 1TB WD Blue || PSU - EVGA G2 750W || Case - Corsair 200R

TV PC || CPU - Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz 1.2V || Motherboard - MSI H81M-P33 || CPU Cooler - Stock || RAM - 2x4GB random Samsung RAM || Graphics card - Intel HD Graphics (will be R9 390 in a few weeks) || Storage - 1x SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB, 1x Samsung 1.5TB HDD || PSU - Corsair CX600M || Case - None (soon to be Cooler Master Elite 430)

I don't think languages change that much over years, only really Python does that I'm awar of

C++ was changed in 2011, and now changed again in 2014.

It changes often. But programs made on an older version still work with the newer version because the latest version just adds functionality, and doesnt take anything much away.

So the different versions are still very similar.

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | AMD Vega 64 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It changes often. But programs made on an older version still work with the newer version because the latest version just adds functionality, and doesnt take anything much away.

Thanks man. I guess i'll be going ahead with these tutorials then.

Thanks man. I guess i'll be going ahead with these tutorials then.

Good luck :)

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | AMD Vega 64 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Oh, I didn't know that :S

Spoiler

Main PC || CPU - Xeon E3 1231 V3 || Motherboard - MSI Z97 PC Mate || CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || RAM - 1x8GB HyperX Fury Blue || Graphics card - MSI TwinFrozr V GTX 970 || Storage - 1x BX100 250GB, 1x 1TB WD Blue || PSU - EVGA G2 750W || Case - Corsair 200R

TV PC || CPU - Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz 1.2V || Motherboard - MSI H81M-P33 || CPU Cooler - Stock || RAM - 2x4GB random Samsung RAM || Graphics card - Intel HD Graphics (will be R9 390 in a few weeks) || Storage - 1x SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB, 1x Samsung 1.5TB HDD || PSU - Corsair CX600M || Case - None (soon to be Cooler Master Elite 430)

From the developer side, languages don't really change. When a language does change it is mostly under the hood compiler optimizations and less actual changes to the language. Therefore it is more accurate to say that the language did not change, but the compiler has changed. Most of the time you can compile old code on a new compiler and it will build just fine unless you have really compiler optimized code. Here is a example of a change in the c language. Before, it was a compiler error if you tried to declare a variable in the for loop declaration, but in a newer compiler, it says that this is ok and does not throw a compiler error.

//legal in older c and also runs on c99 compilerint i;for(i = 0; i < 10; i++) {...}//not legal in older c, but runs on c99 compilerfor(int i = 0; i < 10; i++) {...}

From the developer side, languages don't really change. When a language does change it is mostly under the hood compiler optimizations and less actual changes to the language. Therefore it is more accurate to say that the language did not change, but the compiler has changed. Most of the time you can compile old code on a new compiler and it will build just fine unless you have really compiler optimized code. Here is a example of a change in the c language. Before, it was a compiler error if you tried to declare a variable in the for loop declaration, but in a newer compiler, it says that this is ok and does not throw a compiler error.

//legal in older c and also runs on c99 compilerint i;for(i = 0; i < 10; i++) {...}//not legal in older c, but runs on c99 compilerfor(int i = 0; i < 10; i++) {...}
Alright! Guess I'll be going though with The tut then :)

Thanks for the help man. I really just need to get to know the basics before o move onto android dev. I'm going to leave this unsolved for a bit in case anyone has some other input to add.