Rookie PC gamer rig

Nakoron
Go to solution Solved by Rebelattack,

That's a good price for the system. Have you considered a 970/980 instead of the 290? I'd also recommend some form of AIO cooling for the CPU, or else you might as well stick with a non-k skew.

What is said above and 16 Gb is nice, but if she is not doing much background programs or other stuff while gaming why would you get 16 Gb RAM? 8 Gb would suffice. Also no HDD? You don't need one but getting a 500Gb/1Tb one isn't that expensive and better so you can just install a ton of games.

This is for my lady friend - she is looking for something small and portable. 
Most ITX cases I can find are just as large as an mATX case or if they are smaller, they are special order. 

Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 Windforce 3x 947MHZ 4GB 5.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card

Bitfenix Prodigy M mATX Fyberflex Tower Case White 1X5.25 4X3.5INT No PS USB3.0 HD Audio 

ADATA SX900 2.5" 256GB SSD SATA 3 SandForce 2281 550MB/SEC Write and 530MB/SEC Read

Intel Core i5 4690K Unlocked Quad Core 3.5GHZ/3.9GHZ Processor LGA1150 Haswell 6MB Cache Retail

Gigabyte Z97MX-GAMING 5 mATX LGA1150 Z97 DDR3 PCI-E16 PCI-E8 XFIRE/SLI SATA3 USB3 HDMI Motherboard

Kingston HyperX Fury Memory Black 16GB 2X8GB DDR3-1866 CL10 Dual Channel Memory Kit 

Bitfenix Fury 650W 80PLUS Gold Semi Modular Single Rail Bitshield 135mm FDB Fan Power Supply

Total: $1,215.92 CAD

Everything can be ordered and physically picked up same day and assembled.

This will be something she can pick up and move to my house on weekends and hook up to my 2nd TV so we can couch co-op locally.

She is a corporate lawyer, so money is an non-issue; however she has not ever had a gaming PC and I figured a best-value option would be the least scary.
Remember: non PC gamers have a hard time see why they should spend something like this when you can buy a PC at walmart for $500 (or so I assume)

Everything listed is currently on sale.

Opinions/suggestions would be appreciated. I have zero brand preference. I am seeking something small and immediately available at Ncix in BC (any location)

That's a good price for the system. Have you considered a 970/980 instead of the 290? I'd also recommend some form of AIO cooling for the CPU, or else you might as well stick with a non-k skew.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

What is said above and 16 Gb is nice, but if she is not doing much background programs or other stuff while gaming why would you get 16 Gb RAM? 8 Gb would suffice. Also no HDD? You don't need one but getting a 500Gb/1Tb one isn't that expensive and better so you can just install a ton of games.

Yeah I'm going to buy a decent fan/AIO so I can OC the CPU. That's why I opted for a Z97 instead of a much cheaper H97 board.

I was actually looking for a 970 but they are all sold-out and on backorder. That 290 is only $300 though! hard to beat that...

Yea I overlooked that too. You should try throw a 1TB inside there.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Hmmm yeah. I think you are right. Ram is expensive now anyways... droping to 8 gigs would cover a 1tb HDD. Thank you.

Yeah I'm going to buy a decent fan/AIO so I can OC the CPU. That's why I opted for a Z97 instead of a much cheaper H97 board.

I was actually looking for a 970 but they are all sold-out and on backorder. That 290 is only $300 though! hard to beat that...

212 EVO from coolermaster is what everyone recommends or you can get a liquid cooling kit for the CPU if money isn't a factor and because airflow isn't the best in those smaller cases, although I don't know if they fit in them :mellow: . GPU wise a 970 is nice but does it fit in the case and is it worth it, because what does she play though?

Rookie PC gamer rig... hmmm

Does she know how to OC that i5? If not then I suggest going for Xeon + B85 to keep the price down a bit

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

I would skip the adata sp900x as I had the sp900 and read speeds were about 400/mbs with 45k iops and 290 writes with 32k iops Go with the 840 evo or mx100

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Does she know how to OC that i5? If not then I suggest going for Xeon + B85 to keep the price down a bit

He said already yeah that he is gonna OC it but he is building this for a rookie gamer.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($248.98 @ DirectCanada) 

CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 300 55.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($19.99 @ Canada Computers) 

Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($107.50 @ Vuugo) 

Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($152.78 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($103.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.50 @ Vuugo) 

Case Fan: LEPA Vortex 12 PWM 63.9 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($0.99 @ NCIX) 

Case Fan: LEPA Vortex 12 PWM 63.9 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($0.99 @ NCIX) 

Total: $1059.67

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-25 10:40 EDT-0400

212 EVO from coolermaster is what everyone recommends or you can get a liquid cooling kit for the CPU if money isn't a factor and because airflow isn't the best in those smaller cases, although I don't know if they fit in them :mellow: . GPU wise a 970 is nice but does it fit in the case and is it worth it, because what does she play though?

With the mITX 970 by Gigabyte size is no longer a problem!  B)

With the mITX 970 by Gigabyte size is no longer a problem!  B)

Then off course it is a whole other story really random that I saw it in an other post otherwise I wouldn't have known about it but I don't know if he can wait for it  :D .

I'm going to be building and OCing for her. I'll check out the xeon anyways - thanks!

Thanks for everything guys. I have a good idea now!