Delphi

Virtual Goose

Hey guys. I take a computing A level at my local college along with some other courses. In my course we have a high focus on programming using Delphi. My question is how often is delphi used for legitimate programming by people outside academia? I certainly never heard of it before starting to code with it.

It's not modern at all, and rarely used except for legacy apps. If that's the kind of stuff your college is teaching you I'd reconsider if it's a valid use of you time.

I've never heard of it ahah, and I agree with the guy above ^

I actually know someone who had a professor at college teach him 16-bit assembly. This was only last semester lol

I'll have to qualify my use of the word college with the fact I live in the UK where college is not university, its for 16-18 year olds primarily, also next year C++ is a thing so. Thanks for the responses guys :)

Delphi is old programing language, but in many case it doesn't matter. Even one of most popular registry fixer (jv16 PowerTools) is programmed in Delphi. When you create your own functions then it doesn't matter if you use new or old programing language, because they will do what you make them to do. The core logic of programming doesn't change whether you use Delphi,C++, C# etc, changes only syntax. :)

Passionate indie android developer

Exactly where I started. Stick with it. Although you may never use it again, it can be very useful to learn and understand programming concepts. Are you using Delphi or is predecessor pascal? Many A-Level teachers tend to generalise both as delphi.

Whatever you do, don't sit there and moan about how bad the language is and how you should be using a more up to date one. I did that and it almost cost me a decent grade. I used PHP for my final project and meant that I was working 20 hour days before my deadline to get it done. Make sure you get the work done as described. You'll get a much higher mark.

CPU: Intel i7 3770k @4.2 Ghz cooled by Corsair H100 | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77n-WiFi | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz CL10 Video CardEVGA GTX 660 SC 

Power Supply: OCZ 550W | SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | HDD: Seagate 2TB | Monitor #1: Dell P2314H | Monitor #2: LG M2380DF | Monitor #3: LG E1960

Mouse: Razer Deathadder | Mouse Mat: Corsair MM200 | Keyboard: Apple Wired Aluminium Keyboard | Headphones: Bose QC15 | Phone: iPhone 5S 16GB Silver

I've learnt Delphi in high school.. almost 10 years ago.. and never work with it again.

It helped me to start coding and making small application but i don't think it's a good language if you start learning how to code, although in college we see a lot of old programming languages such as pascal and cobol.

Exactly where I started. Stick with it. Although you may never use it again, it can be very useful to learn and understand programming concepts. Are you using Delphi or is predecessor pascal? Many A-Level teachers tend to generalise both as delphi.

Whatever you do, don't sit there and moan about how bad the language is and how you should be using a more up to date one. I did that and it almost cost me a decent grade. I used PHP for my final project and meant that I was working 20 hour days before my deadline to get it done. Make sure you get the work done as described. You'll get a much higher mark.

We used pascal for like a week, and then moved on to delphi when the new software came in. :) Also thanks for the advice. Much appreciated