Can't Boot Into Safe Mode: F8 Key Not Responding

EpicFruit

My system isn't responding to the F8 key during booting, so I can't bring up the advanced boot options to select safe mode, I can only get into the BIOS. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Got any ideas?

The OS isn't the problem. It's your Motherboard/BIOS. Exactly what motherboard are you using? 

I'm using a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3. Could it really be the motherboard? This is just an issue on top of another issue. It all started when my system randomly restarted itself and now can't get past the "loading operating system" screen.

I posted that issue in the operating system & software section.

I know this is a stupid response but do you have an extra keyboard you can test? It seems stupid but my keyboard a year ago failed and mapped all the wrong keystrokes to the keys. Some didn't even send a keystroke even though the keyboard was powered and running.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

I'm using a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3. Could it really be the motherboard? This is just an issue on top of another issue. It all started when my system randomly restarted itself and now can't get past the "loading operating system" screen.

I posted that issue in the operating system & software section.

I was trying to see if there was a "boot to BIOS" option. I can't see it all to well online, however. Look on the bright side, the BIOS may not be bricked.

Try switching the BIOS switch on the MoBo over to the other one. Maybe a BIOS problem.

do you have a PS/2 keyboard

ps2keybo.jpg

often times a PS/2 keyboard works better with bios issues.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

On the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 the BIOS key is the delete key not F8.

9q0LWmL.png

Rig: CPU: 1x quad core potato(4.6GHz). Cooling: Iced Tea. GPU: AMD HDToaster. Motherboard: Asus "Stale Bread Extreme Edition". RAM: 2x 4GB sticks of 1600MHz celery. PSU: 650w Roborovski Hamster in wheel.  Storage: Many Floppy Disks. 

Did you spam F8?

Yes I spammed the fecal matter out of that key, and got no results with 2 different keyboards, though they are both USB keyboards.

do you have a PS/2 keyboard

ps2keybo.jpg

often times a PS/2 keyboard works better with bios issues.

I don't have a PS/2 keyboard, do you think a USB to PS/2 adapter will work?

On the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 the BIOS key is the delete key not F8.

9q0LWmL.png

I can get into the BIOS without any problems with the delete key, but I'm trying to access the advanced boot options in order to boot into safe mode. I can't do that in the BIOS.

If you were getting an error where you couldnt load operating system files and you cant get into safe mode, something essential to windows might be bricked. Pressing f8 to get to safe mode is a command given to windows, not your motherboard. Meaning that it is most likely that windows is having a problem.

Since you're getting to "loading operating system files" its probably not an issue with motherboard or hard drive cable (you're seeing the hdd and the motherboard is starting the process of loading it onto ram). 

A great thing to try in times like this is booting off a flash drive or install disk. (ubuntu is a good choice for compatibility with hardware) If that works, then your hardware (excluding the hdd) is fine. you can check the drive and its smart data to see if its a hdd issue, but its probably a bricked windows at this point.

If you can get to the BIOS via the.Del key than that is the first step.

The second step is to turn OFF the splash screens,check USB legacy is set to mouse and keyboard..not auto..

The Third step is to use the PAUSE/Break key found on most KB to slow the boot sequence down

I hope that you have a PC speaker set up..and can hear the last post beep..after that spam the F8 key 

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..

Start --> Run --> Type in ''msconfig'' ( without '' ) , second tab there is an option to choose in what mode you start ;)

Interested in Business and Technology