display port vs dvi-d 1080p 144hz

Cl2G

Is one better than the other for 1080p 144hz?

I have a dvi-d cable now but as I look to upgrade my gpu soon I was wondering if dp is better as the new nvida cards utilize so many dp outs?

Yo soy el hombre murciélago

Honestly, I would still like to use DVI over DP.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I doesn't really matter

Unless your going to try to overclock the monitor use displayport as that is really the only thing dvi has going for it now days.

you only really need displayport if you wanna do 4k, other than that if it is HDMI or DVI, i prefer dvi

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

I used both on a 144Hz 1080p monitor there was no difference but im currently sticking with DisplayPort

CPU: i7 4790K-----GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming + MSI GTX 980 TWINFROZR ------MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7-------RAM: Klevv Genuine 2400MHz-------PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2-------CASE: Phanteks Enhtoo Luxe

Is one better than the other for 1080p 144hz?

I have a dvi-d cable now but as I look to upgrade my gpu soon I was wondering if dp is better as the new nvida cards utilize so many dp outs?

No. It's a digital connection so if it's dual link then they will be exactly the same.

"Rawr XD"

you only really need displayport if you wanna do 4k, other than that if it is HDMI or DVI, i prefer dvi

Personally if you have displayport use it, I mean why not ?

In your case, both is the same. Dual-Link DVI does 1080 at 144Hz just fine.

And DisplayPort 1.2 does 4K 60Hz, 10-bit colors.

So pick which ever is best for you.

Any difference in color like I've noticed with hdmi vs other cables? Light colors etc? Think a dual monitor dp solution is where I'm headed once higher tier Maxwell cards launch

Yo soy el hombre murciélago

Any difference in color like I've noticed with hdmi vs other cables? Light colors etc? Think a dual monitor dp solution is where I'm headed once higher tier Maxwell cards launch

There should be no color differences. If there is, then it's the graphics card and monitor not detecting each other properly, where the graphics card thinks it's a TV instead of a monitor. This can be corrected in a second in the Nvidia (or AMD) control panel.

Simply change this option from Limited, to Full, and hit Apply.

nvcolor1.jpg

This is probably because DisplayPort is new, and actually being in used and monitor manufacture and graphics card manufacture needs to start paying attention. All depending on the monitor, manufacture and so on. Usually it's not a problem. But they were reports on select monitor being detected as TV. But like I said, it's a mouse click to get it fixed.

HDMI is the worst. Not only TV is always assumed, but due to problems with the communication protocol in ID the device settings, its a game of luck, if it works out of the box perfectly. You usually need to play with over scan, underscan settings and color setting (like the picture above), and monitor settings to get it working.

• 3 months later...

I used both on a 144Hz 1080p monitor there was no difference but im currently sticking with DisplayPort

I am also using this same setup, I was using dvi for a few days (didn't have a dp cable yet, this is my first monitor that has it) and when my dp cable arrived and I hooked it up I noticed the response time is now as advertised on the box lol instead of between 5 - 10ms it now does the 1ms (really 1 - 5 ms) that the box says it does. the quality is just about the same otherwise at 1080p @144Mz. So I just say if you have it why not use it?

I am also using this same setup, I was using dvi for a few days (didn't have a dp cable yet, this is my first monitor that has it) and when my dp cable arrived and I hooked it up I noticed the response time is now as advertised on the box lol instead of between 5 - 10ms it now does the 1ms (really 1 - 5 ms) that the box says it does. the quality is just about the same otherwise at 1080p @144Mz. So I just say if you have it why not use it?

Response time is a property of the display panel, it isn't affected by the interconnect being used.

Response time is a property of the display panel, it isn't affected by the interconnect being used.

Till I had this happen I would have agreed the connector had nothing to do with it, it was the only change made to the whole setup (not even a reboot). I have no other way to explain what could have changed it and for my data I used the same game that always runs at almost exact response/fps and as always with sync on. Do you have any theories to what can cause it if it is not the connection used?

Till I had this happen I would have agreed the connector had nothing to do with it, it was the only change made to the whole setup (not even a reboot). I have no other way to explain what could have changed it and for my data I used the same game that always runs at almost exact response/fps and as always with sync on. Do you have any theories to what can cause it if it is not the connection used?

I think you are confusing response time with latency :P Latency isn't related to the response time number printed on the box at all. There's a lot of information about this in the link in my sig if you want to read up on it.

A difference of 5-10ms down to 1ms is impossible to perceive. Have a go at this to get an idea of how short a millisecond is ;) http://humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

I think you are confusing response time with latency :P Latency isn't related to the response time number printed on the box at all. There's a lot of information about this in the link in my sig if you want to read up on it.

A difference of 5-10ms down to 1ms is impossible to perceive. Have a go at this to get an idea of how short a millisecond is ;) http://humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

>.< that may be it, I just assumed since the tool in game says response. My bad.

Edit: And I tried your link I am slow :P averaged 301ms