Twitter creates "Digits": a replacement for email and passwords

Dietrichw

Source

digits.0.png

In San Francisco Twitter announced Digits, a new way to login to apps using your phone number. Users will no longer have to go through the process of entering a email and password for every new account. Users enter their phone number in order to receive a single use code similar to how 2 step verification with SMS works. Digits does not require a Twitter account, it will be an API that can be used on iOS, Android, and the web. Digits  supports a second factor of authentication by sending users a secondary PIN code to use with the expiring code.

Twitter says it is bringing everything it has learned about security since its founding to Digits. "Passwords just suck," Ducker says. "I go to dinner parties and people say, 'Oh, you work in tech? Can you get rid of the password?' And we’re finally getting rid of the password, for the vast majority of use cases."

"similar to how 2 step verification with SMS works"

Isn't this exactly how 2 step verification with sms works? 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

step 2 is now step 1

I would think this is could be used for data mining but the apps collect your numbers while running anyway now.

It isn't similar, that's exactly how it works.. :3

Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

step 2 is now step 1

Well yeah... Technically i guess. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

So instead of 2 step verification

We just have 1 step verification

And I have autofill on my personal computer no thank you to pulling out my phone to do this

The problem with this is that on the majority of people's phones, SMS's show up on their lock screen, so if you stole someone's phone, it would not be difficult to obtain access to all of their accounts which use this security format. It works great for 2FA (because to steal your password AND have access to your phone is much more difficult), but I for one will not be using a feature like this.

HTTP/2 203

The problem with this is that on the majority of people's phones, SMS's show up on their lock screen, so if you stole someone's phone, it would not be difficult to obtain access to all of their accounts which use this security format. It works great for 2FA (because to steal your password AND have access to your phone is much more difficult), but I for one will not be using a feature like this.

In this case it doesn't. Try using 2-step verification for g-mail. It formats the SMS in a way which means the number doesn't come up on the lock screen (writes lots of bullshit before it in the text).

I for one will therefore be using this system ;)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300