Go to solution Solved by Krzyimprt,

Current Rig:

i5 4690k with stock cooling :(

Asus Sabertooth z97 mark 2

8GB Corsair vengence RAM

EVGA GTX 780 classified 

2 tb HDD

all in a Corsair Vengeance C70

I have about $100 to spend (give or take $20) and cant decide what to get. Im thinking either a CPU cooler, because my processor is unlocked, or an SSD. My Games boot in about 7-10 seconds already and my OS takes about 10-15, but people keep saying the SSD makes for a much better upgrade . With my current hardware and budget, what do you suggest I get?

I also only have about 35 gigs of my hard drive occcupied right now so most of my games and OS could fit happily on a small little SSD. The 2tb ssd is for longevity and because I want to start doing some content creation

SSD first. You won't notice the difference with an overclocked 4690K, an SSD will bring your rig alive in terms of responsiveness.

Current Rig:

8GB Corsair vengence RAM

EVGA GTX 780 classified 

2 tb HDD

I have about $100 to spend (give or take $20) and cant decide what to get. Im thinking either a CPU cooler, because my processor is unlocked, or an SSD. My Games boot in about 7-10 seconds already and my OS takes about 10-15, but people keep saying the SSD makes for a much better upgrade . With my current hardware and budget, what do you suggest I get?

I also only have about 35 gigs of my hard drive occcupied right now so most of my games and OS could fit happily on a small little SSD. The 2tb ssd is for longevity and because I want to start doing some content creation

Current Rig:

8GB Corsair vengence RAM

EVGA GTX 780 classified 

2 tb HDD

SSD first. You won't notice the difference with an overclocked 4690K, an SSD will bring your rig alive in terms of responsiveness.

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

Aftermarket HSF and save the rest of the money for more important things.  If you don't want to do that send me what you don't spend.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

FPS>SSD as the OP clearly states that he or she is a gamer.  Get the aftermarket HSF.

FPS>SSD as the OP clearly states that he or she is a gamer.  Get the aftermarket HSF.

It's not 2003 anymore, he wouldn't care for a 1-2 fps difference. >implying overclocking an already high end CPU is pointless.

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

It's not 2003 anymore, he wouldn't care for a 1-2 fps difference. >implying overclocking an already high end CPU is pointless.

There are games that are more cpu intensive so it would help.  The OP is a gamer.  More FPS helps a gamer more than what an SSD can help with which is load times for cg movies. Yay!

It's also going to be used for content creation, not just gaming. Intel stock coolers are miserable. I would rather wait a few more seconds than have my cpu as hot as an oven. SSD can always be added later.

Well, I already max out my monitors capable frames (144) i think the SSD is more important given that it helps with boot times (do a lot of bios tweaking) and when modding, a faster boot time would be lovely. And I can hold out on content creation for a while, wasn't planning on starting till this summer anyway, then I'll really need a cooler

Thank you, I think it'll definitely help keep my system balanced in terms of speed. 

Thank you, I think it'll definitely help keep my system balanced in terms of speed. 

But I do suggest getting an aftermarket cooler when you can, the stock ones are terrible for Haswell with the integrated VRM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608040

But I do suggest getting an aftermarket cooler when you can, the stock ones are terrible for Haswell with the integrated VRM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608040

definitely after my next purchace. Just wanted to know which to get first

Well, I already max out my monitors capable frames (144) i think the SSD is more important given that it helps with boot times (do a lot of bios tweaking) and when modding, a faster boot time would be lovely. And I can hold out on content creation for a while, wasn't planning on starting till this summer anyway, then I'll really need a cooler

So you max out your monitors with PhysX on and everything cranked up? I doubt it.  As for a faster boot time seriously?  Even the biggest supporters of SSDs don't make that argument to get an SSD anymore.  

So you max out your monitors with PhysX on and everything cranked up? I doubt it.  As for a faster boot time seriously?  Even the biggest supporters of SSDs don't make that argument to get an SSD anymore.  

yeah, I can run most of my games at ultra with physX and high AA at 144. V-sync is capping it, but my Counters strike GO (not the most demanding, i know) gets about 300 because V-sync isn't working with mine. I still believe the SSD owners in that it'll make a big impact on my system's speed and responsivness. And it's not like im getting one or the other, Im gettting one first and the other in about a month or so.

yeah, I can run most of my games at ultra with physX and high AA at 144. V-sync is capping it, but my Counters strike GO (not the most demanding, i know) gets about 300 because V-sync isn't working with mine. I still believe the SSD owners in that it'll make a big impact on my system's speed and responsivness. And it's not like im getting one or the other, Im gettting one first and the other in about a month or so.

Well I assume there are more games out there that you are not playing that would have trouble hitting 144 fps with PhysX maxed and at ultra settings but if you feel you won't be playing those games then whatever.