What is the best amount of ram for an APU?

Hey LTT,

I recently pickrd up an HP Envy M6-N010dx with an AMD A10-5750m APU. I know a little bit about the APUs and how the graphics are dependent on system Memory.

I currently have 6GB of ram which will run CS:GO at about 30-50 frames on medium settings. My question is, how much RAM would be best to maximize the performance of the APU on this laptop and is there anything else I need to know about APUs to get the best bang for my buck?

Thanks in advance!

Just get the fastest 8GB laptop DDR3 ram that you can get. Fastest would mean Ram speed, the higher the speed of ram in APU, the more performance that you can get out of it. But make sure if your laptop can support the higher speed ram than the one provided in the laptop when you bought it.

8GB is the sweet spot, but APUs like fast ram. the faster the clock, the faster the APU is in games. 

I could be very wrong

yup yup yup ^

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

I currently have 6GB of ram which will run CS:GO at about 30-50 frames on medium settings. My question is, how much RAM would be best to maximize the performance of the APU on this laptop and is there anything else I need to know about APUs to get the best bang for my buck?

how much RAM will depend on what you do with the laptop. CS:GO and many games will run with 4GB but 8GB is the sweet spot for gaming and productivity (lots of browser tabs open). However a big factor in APU graphics speed is how fast the RAM is. Get the fastest DDR3 SODIMMs you can get, which will likely 1866 or maybe 2133

"Rawr XD"

pick up some good ripjawz z 2400mhz ram (any amount really, 8 is awesome) and youll be rolling ma dude :)

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

6GB is fine. 8GB is better. But it will like faster RAM over more of it (starting around 6GB, 4GB is pretty much starving it).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Get the fastest (Mhz wise) 8GB of ram you can afford, 

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

As stated above, the best performance would come from the fastest ram with 8gb being sufficient for most games. The thing to remember though is the cost of really fast ram + apu based system can cost more than a system with a dedicated graphics card which can perform better. If you're willing to spend big bucks on ridiculous ram I'd suggest a system upgrade instead.

I'd try for 1866/Cl9, 2133/Cl10, 2400/Cl11. They'll perform similarly and can be found for pretty cheap.