Is the 8350 still worth it?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Ehh, I would spend a little more for a locked i5. That way you have an upgrade path as well.

I was wondering if buying an 8350 is still worth it considering it's a 2 year old processor. I'm building an all around computer for gaming/editing and would like you opinions on whether or not it's worth it to invest money in a 2 year old component. If not what are some similarly priced alternatives. I am also planning on overclocking it.

yes depending on the price you buy them but if you can get their Eco versions go with those. 

anyways mind putting up some of your other parts?

Live your life like a dream.

I have one and love it. But you may want to go with a 8320 or 8320E. The 8320 is an underclocked 8350 and you can always OC a 8320 to what you can OC a 8350 to. I have a 8350 OC'd and love it.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

It would be better to go with an i7 for gaming/editing over an 8350, though the 8350 is still a strong choice.

For the price its probably the best option you will find.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

If you just said gaming and not editing as well I would say save yourself some trouble and get an intel part, especially if you plan on using an high end gpu like 290, 780, 970 or above.

I didn't go with it because it is a 2 year old CPU. (Will be 3 in November I think)

The real problem is the CPU as much as the platform, AMD has done said no new CPUs for the AM3 platform or the 9xx chipsets.  FMx platforms from here on out.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Ehh, I would spend a little more for a locked i5. That way you have an upgrade path as well.