The state of Apple Pay/ Google Wallet.

PillowSmoke

Is it a free service? or is it like paypal?

From Google's website:

It's free to send money directly from your bank account, using your Google Wallet Balance, or using a debit card. There's a fee of 2.9% per transaction (minimum $0.30) to send money using a credit card.

Receiving money, and transferring it to your bank account, is always free regardless of the funding source the sender chooses.

So it's free unless you are using a credit card. PayPal charges 2.9% no matter what source you use.

From Google's website:

So it's free unless you are using a credit card. PayPal charges 2.9% no matter what source you use.

Sending money with paypal is free, they only charge if you are receiving a payment, which makes me wonder how google are funding this endeavor. seeing as both ends are free unless you pay with credit.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

apart from in London, nothing has NFC in UK (that I know of)

Some bus stops now have NFC tags to help with advertising but anyhoo they've had this kinda thing in Japan for years hell when i was there last week i wish i could have used it as it would have saved me a good few hours looking for post offices.

Sending money with paypal is free, they only charge if you are receiving a payment, which makes me wonder how google are funding this endeavor. seeing as both ends are free unless you pay with credit.

Doing it out of good will maybe? Building your brand can be valuable by itself. The fee from credit cards might be enough to make them +/- 0, and it makes their brand/company more valuable.

It also reduces the risk of someone else entering that market and competing with Google. I am not quite sure how to explain it but let's say Google Wallet didn't exist, then Apple Pay might have been the only smartphone with NFC payment capabilities. That makes the iPhone seem slightly more attractive than Android.

I'm just speculating here.

He's from Australia, we get unduly hit pretty hard with increased prices on all apple products.  It's likely he just meant we could in reality end up paying extra for a service that the banks can already provide for free.

Or he could have other reasons, but that's the one that makes most sense to me.

yup, also forcing companies to adopt it which they would most likly have to pay for on top of there normal atm fee's

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Is it a free service? or is it like paypal?

Free. I've never been charged anything for it. I really started using it at first because my bank limits me to $400.00 a day withdraw from an ATM. So now what I can do is withdraw $400.00 from my bank account and if I need moar Google wallet will allow up to $300.00 a day withdraw. Transferring money from your bank to Google takes literally 10 seconds and you have funds available. Transferring from Google wallet to your bank takes roughly 2 business days. 

Apple pay is not a week old, and it's got a much higher adoption rate, and 100x security of Google Wallet.

Because Apple is backing it, you know that more and more retailers are going to sign on. Google's approach is more 'whenever you're ready!'

Apple pay is not a week old, and it's got a much higher adoption rate, and 100x security of Google Wallet.

Because Apple is backing it, you know that more and more retailers are going to sign on. Google's approach is more 'whenever you're ready!'

Google wallet isn't exactly the same concept either. Google gives you a physical card and a bank account while apple just delegates your current cards (I haven't used it so I don't really know how it works but from what I read it seems different). 

Google wallet isn't exactly the same concept either. Google gives you a physical card and a bank account while apple just delegates your current cards (I haven't used it so I don't really know how it works but from what I read it seems different).

They do? I thought it was strictly NFC... But even then, I've acutally seen a GW NFC dock at one store in my life, and over this week I've seen Apple Pay in at least 4 stores I've gone to (an I live in Vermont, not exactly the most cutting-edge tech wise).

Either way, it's more secure; the store doesn't even see your personal info whatsoever, and neither does Apple. It's all stored in the same secure chip that houses the TouchID info.

[Citation Needed]

And before you start talking about "it's stored in a secure chip!" I want you to look up "Secure Element" on the SmartCardAlliance website.

As for Google just going "whenever you're ready", that's not exactly why it have had such a low adoption rate. When Google Wallet first launched US carriers were flat out blocking it from devices.

They do? I thought it was strictly NFC... But even then, I've acutally seen a GW NFC dock at one store in my life, and over this week I've seen Apple Pay in at least 4 stores I've gone to (an I live in Vermont, not exactly the most cutting-edge tech wise).

Either way, it's more secure; the store doesn't even see your personal info whatsoever, and neither does Apple. It's all stored in the same secure chip that houses the TouchID info.

Yep. Just have to click order card on the google wallet settings page. 

5.jpg

[Citation Needed]

As for Google just going "whenever you're ready", that's not exactly why it have had such a low adoption rate. When Google Wallet first launched US carriers were flat out blocking it from devices.

This. The vending machine company at my office (large corporate building) blocked google NFC payments AND the actual physical card payments because of Isis. I had to root my HTC One Max just to get google wallet installed because Verizon are cunts. All because they compete against Isis. That's why apple is so fucking smart. They had a bunch of different businesses partnered before it launched where Google didn't have any partners at first that I'm aware of. The only one I know of now is Walgreens and I don't even use it there. 

[Citation Needed]

And before you start talking about "it's stored in a secure chip!" I want you to look up "Secure Element" on the SmartCardAlliance website.

I'm not saying it's insecure by any stretch, but the chip in the iPhone isn't accessible by anything; even low-level OS functions. It's accessible only by the Touch ID controller (and now the NFC chip); isn't that different than most GW-enabled Android phones?

Also, it doesn't matter how it happened, but GW has a low adoption rate (years?) later. My point was that because it's Apple, their push and influence means that a ton of stores will support it even by the end of 2014.

Not excited for it, it's more of a gimmick for me seeing as there's hardly anywhere in the UK that I can do it, not a lot of places I shop have caught on yet.

I'd like to try it out but I can't see myself using it often, it's like when I get my phone out to get my Subway App scanned in Subway, I carry my wallet around with me wherever I take my phone. Don't need it.

I'm not saying it's insecure by any stretch, but the chip in the iPhone isn't accessible by anything; even low-level OS functions. It's accessible only by the Touch ID controller (and now the NFC chip); isn't that different than most GW-enabled Android phones?

I haven't looked into it deep enough to make a fair judgement, but I am very skeptical about Apple's claims.

Not excited for it, it's more of a gimmick for me seeing as there's hardly anywhere in the UK that I can do it, not a lot of places I shop have caught on yet.

I'd like to try it out but I can't see myself using it often, it's like when I get my phone out to get my Subway App scanned in Subway, I carry my wallet around with me wherever I take my phone. Don't need it.

Not a gimmick, I think eventually this form of payment system will take on and slowly we will convert to it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Not a gimmick, I think eventually this form of payment system will take on and slowly we will convert to it

Yeah I would gladly not have to carry my wallet if I could do all of those things with my phone.

Yeah I would gladly not have to carry my wallet if I could do all of those things with my phone.

Absolutely, I mean I carry my phone around everywhere but its annoying taking a wallet, it feels so archaic having to carry a little piece of plastic, or some paper and metal coins just to pay for goods

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Absolutely, I mean I carry my phone around everywhere but its annoying taking a wallet, it feels so archaic having to carry a little piece of plastic, or some paper and metal coins just to pay for goods

This all depends.

I love my phone and google wallet. however, where I live we can be in 4G one minute, and zero reception a mile further. Until we have the infrastructure to back it up, I'd say we are stuck with all other forms of payment. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Well, It's no wonder the US is slow slow to adopt consumer financial technology, the Big companies are either blocking it for fear of competitors getting the upper edge or blocking it for fear of terrorism. 

I really don't think you can support ISIS buy buying a choccy bar from a vending machine.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.