Just curious: How many of you guys leave your PC on 24/7, and why?

I leave it on, mostly because I don't want to deal with boot times. (No ssd)

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Can you add an option for sleep mode. I have it go to sleep after 6 hours, so it sleeps for part of the night, I do have an htpc that is on all the time since it runs a minecraft server.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

Can you add an option for sleep mode. I have it go to sleep after 6 hours, so it sleeps for part of the night, I do have an htpc that is on all the time since it runs a minecraft server.

sure!

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Personally i dont see why i'd ever put the pc to sleep or something, if i go to sleep, i turn it off, if im going to be away for more than 3 hours, i turn it off, i have an ssd and it starts up pretty fast. I dno just imo!

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

24/7 + Sleep, with occasional restart for updates (if I could do away with it, I probably will at some point - Linux might be an option avoiding kernel upgrades or using kexec - only done light reading on it, so that could have pitfalls too).

I've been doing it for over a year with no issues whatsoever. Afaik, continuous running is better for the components as opposed to power-cycling the components. Dunno how much of it actually applies, but it's seen in Engineering applications a lot: a higher constant, continuous load results in a longer failure time than lower magnitude, cyclical loads.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I usually turn it off whenever I'm not using it, but my upload speed is super slow so sometimes I have to leave it on overnight to upload videos

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

I usually turn it off because I have an SSD and because Windows accrues enough errors to crash every 6 months or so if you leave it on, but I leave it on if I'm running game servers, torrenting, or uploading video/audio.

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

I usually turn it off whenever I'm not using it, but my upload speed is super slow so sometimes I have to leave it on overnight to upload videos

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

I turn it off when I go to bed, but if I go away during the day for more than 2-3 hours I put it in sleep mode.

Intel i7-870  //  MSI GTX 670 PE       ///       Intel i7-4500U  //  GT720M

I put mine to sleep at like 1am most evenings and then is set to power up at 7am and then runs till 1am.

It is recommended to turn it off, if you care enough about the parts in your system, you'll do this, but if you're like me and your daily use pc is not particularly important or special, then just leave it on 24/7.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

It is recommended to turn it off, if you care enough about the parts in your system, you'll do this, but if you're like me and your daily use pc is not particularly important or special, then just leave it on 24/7.

It's strange, because many people recommend otherwise! 

don't waste the power ffs how spoiled and careless can someone become? take responsibility

Hard drivers are not meant for 24/7 use. And also do you think always running V through your components is better than if you didnt? 

The only counter argument is that shutting down and power up the pc causes a fluctuation in temps which causes them to expand and contract ever so slightly but im pretty sure that if two identical systems where to: one turn of and on every night, and one to be always on. Im sure the first one would last longer.

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

my pc automaticly goes into sleep mode after 15 minutes, usually just leave it on and let it enter sleep mode, aside from when im going to bed or leaving for couple of hours then i shut it off.

The components of a computer are made to take the stress of going from a dead stop to a full start, although leaving the computer on 24/7 is better for the components in theory, the life time will be shortened.  On top of that, unless you have haswell, you'll save a few bucks on the power bill by turning it off.  Recommend to turn it off, but it's okay if you don't.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

don't waste the power ffs how spoiled and careless can someone become? take responsibility

Most systems idle at less than 100W. 100W is stretching it, especially for sleep mode. Assuming an average load of 100W, thats 72kWh per month (24/7 operation; you can calculate the kWh for only night time sleep power consumption, which is far less). Which, depending on the price of electricity (10cents/kWh, it's cheaper in some other places), is $7.2 per month. Barely noticeable considering all other high-power appliances in a typical household. Most people can definitely afford that, even on min. wage.

Only gaming can really skew that towards higher averages, but nobody games for 24/7. 

Short version is, turning it off vs. sleep saves very little in the 8 or so hours overnight.

e: Just to give you some numbers, a computer in sleep mode consumes 5-10W. That translates to 1.2kWh (8 hours at night over 30 days) per month. You're saving $0.12-0.24 per month by turning it off at night.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Most systems idle at less than 100W. 100W is stretching it, especially for sleep mode. Assuming an average load of 100W, thats 72kWh per month (24/7 operation; you can calculate the kWh for only night time sleep power consumption, which is far less). Which, depending on the price of electricity (10cents/kWh, it's cheaper in some other places), is $7.2 per month. Barely noticeable considering all other high-power appliances in a typical household. Most people can definitely afford that, even on min. wage.

Only gaming can really skew that towards higher averages, but nobody games for 24/7. 

Short version is, turning it off vs. sleep saves very little in the 8 or so hours overnight.

Agreed. That's why I think it's so negligible, it's not really responsibility. There are worse things you can do like leaving your kitchen lights on 24/7.

I was wondering what was better for the PC 

The components of a computer are made to take the stress of going from a dead stop to a full start, although leaving the computer on 24/7 is better for the components in theory, the life time will be shortened.  On top of that, unless you have haswell, you'll save a few bucks on the power bill by turning it off.  Recommend to turn it off, but it's okay if you don't.

Most people on this forum would be upgrading before their parts get too old anyways though. I guess the difference is too negligible to matter at all.

I turn it off, I do not have a ssd and boot times don't really affect me as when I turn it on I generally go do something else such as go to the toilet or get dressed or something along those lines.

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

Sleep / Hibernate is a non-factor to me, I either keep it off if I'm going away for a week or more, or keep it on for the long term health of my components.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

i have mine always on because i have such a slow connection i have to download all of my steam games at night so i can use my internet through the day. when imove out from my parents and get a better connection and start paying for my own power it wont be on 24/7.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Sleep mode , like always...

Interested in Business and Technology

I shut mine off when not in use so it will collect dust not as fast. in my old place there was almost no dust so i left it on 24/7.