R9 295x2 suddenly overheating

Stillclock1

I installed the 14.9 driver set without uninstalling 14.4, which I believe caused the issue originally. When I would play games the temps were in the low 60sC and I believe my system has good airflow. CPU is on a h105 closed loop and I have 3 SP 120s pulling air in through the front.

After this upgrade, temps hit 74 C in those same games within minutes, often just sitting on the load screen of Arma III.

I tried (1) driver uninstaller, but that caused an issue with my system time clock so last night (2) I bought a Samsung 840 Evo and reinstalled my whole windows and reinstalled the 14.4 driver which I know worked. I also reset my bios.

Since I feel I tried everything on the software side, maybe its a hardware issue. I'm going to take a can of compressed air to the radiator tonight but its new (June) I don't expect that to be the root cause.

Do you have any ideas?

System specs:

Case: 900D

CPU: i7 4770k

Mobo: Rog Formula VI

CPU Cooling: H105

GPU: R9 295x2 (stock)

SSD/boot: Samsung 840 EVO (which boots in like 45 seconds, but that's a post for another time)

74c with both GPUs at 100% utilization just seems a bit much - especially since it didn't use to do that.

How do I know if it's throttling?

try listening to the pumps

if you hear stange noises, one of the pumps has probably died

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

74c with both GPUs at 100% utilization just seems a bit much - especially since it didn't use to do that.

How do I know if it's throttling?

its not throttleing, 

amd only lowers the clockspeed on hawaii cores (your GPU) when it hits 95°C

74c isn't overheating, those are still good temperatures.

he was getting low 60's before, 

and mid 70 for 295x2 is pretty high

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

SSD/boot: Samsung 840 EVO (which boots in like 45 seconds, but that's a post for another time)

PCPerspectives video about the problem :

and mid 70 for 295x2 is pretty high

Not really, read some reviews they're all mid 60s to mid 70s. 

I suspect the driver update has improve crossfire performance which will utilize the GPU's more, thus increasing temps a little.

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

Not really, read some reviews they're all mid 60s to mid 70s. 

I suspect the driver update has improve crossfire performance which will utilize the GPU's more, thus increasing temps a little

i second this, sometime the second card doesnt run at max as often as the first.

Probably something to improve Xfire performance thus utilising both GPUs more effectively resulting in more heat. Mid 70's isn't close to overheating and honestly that's around the area I'd expect a water cooled dual GPU card to be at. 

Understood, thanks for the input - this is incredibly helpful and generous of you guys to opine.

Freaky Spider - I have seen those same reports that show 74C is on the upper end.

Mr Crab Cake - thanks for the video, I just watched it.  Seems like its a bit risky to run it on your boot drive, is that your interpretation?  Also, its a brand new drive, so its not because of degraded performance over time.  The POST happens fast, sub 5 seconds, its the windows part that goes slow - which leads me to believe its the SSD.

Also, the driver update part does not apply since I went back to the old driver when I reinstalled windows. (unless a driver can sit within the card somehow)

[sOLVED] - Enable GPU Scaling

I am 90% confident that enabling GPU Scaling in the Catalyst Control Center is what fixed my temps.  Vsync was already on.

This makes some sense because when I updated to 14.7 and 14.9, the default settings for CCC probably would have loaded (with GPU Scaling not enabled).

Now my temps are high 50s to low 60s, sometimes with the first GPU getting up to 65C.

Thanks for all the help guys.

• 10 months later...

Same problem here. With 14.4 drivers maximum temps were 58 C on heavy computing, gaming and so on. I have installed every beta and omega 14.12 and I realized that on same game wich max temp was around 58 (game is Mortal Kombat X) and after 14.9 BETA drivers temps are rised up to 68 - 72 C, no overclocking. Same thing happens on other older games like Wolfenstein 2009 (first max temp 49 C then 68 C), Red Faction Guerrilla, Red Faction Armageddon, Sderious Sam 2 and 3, Deadpool, while in Wolfenstein New Order and Old Blood Temps are always 48 C, even Quake 4 and Doom 3 can get temps around 56 C. And most thing I noticed, but can't remember which driver was at the time, on some benchmark programs for GPU sometimes computer restart it self (not blue screen) and on BIOS screen get message "overcurrent protection Anti-surge protection was triggered, system was shut down to protect from unstable power supply " which happend after installing some new driver (I can't remember version), and when I back to 14.12 Omega temps are in normal range. I even tried to downclock both memory and gpu (memory 625 MHz and GPU -3%) to lower heat but it wasn't much of help. My config is: ASUS Sabertooth Z87, G Skill 1866MHz Sniper 16GB, Core i7 4790k, AMD XFX R9 295x2 8GB Hydra, PSU Enermax 87+ 1000W. From my experience after 14.12 OMEGA drivers it is possible that they boost performance and change way of controling hardware on the card. Now I am using 15.8 BETA and I managed to fix some of the issues, but it seems that this drivers are forcing entire card. Hope someone can resolve their issues and post back.

I installed the 14.9 driver set without uninstalling 14.4, which I believe caused the issue originally. When I would play games the temps were in the low 60sC and I believe my system has good airflow. CPU is on a h105 closed loop and I have 3 SP 120s pulling air in through the front.

After this upgrade, temps hit 74 C in those same games within minutes, often just sitting on the load screen of Arma III.

I tried (1) driver uninstaller, but that caused an issue with my system time clock so last night (2) I bought a Samsung 840 Evo and reinstalled my whole windows and reinstalled the 14.4 driver which I know worked. I also reset my bios.

Since I feel I tried everything on the software side, maybe its a hardware issue. I'm going to take a can of compressed air to the radiator tonight but its new (June) I don't expect that to be the root cause.

Do you have any ideas?

System specs:

Case: 900D

CPU: i7 4770k

Mobo: Rog Formula VI

CPU Cooling: H105

GPU: R9 295x2 (stock)

R9 295x2 owner here

TJmax for the 295 is 75C

What happened for you is that crossfire profile was enabled in the game you was playing, with the driver you used.

That means that your second GPU (which barely does anything without good CF profiles) suddenly woke up and started working 100%...

You should have seen an increase in FPS too and or fewer dips in performance.