Graphical improvement by upgrading from 1.0 PCIe to 3.0 PCIe?

I am looking to upgrade my system and I'm thinking of keeping my old graphics card for the time being.

My current system uses a 3Ghz Core2Duo, Radeon 7770 HD and a P5G41-M motherboard with only a 1.0 PCIe x16 slot.

My hope is that by upgrading to a motherboard with a 3.0 PCIe x16 slot (ASRock Z97 Anniversary with a G3258) I can properly utilize my graphics card.

Will upgrading from 1.0 PCIe to 3.0 PCIe significantly improve my graphical performance while gaming?

If you get easily offended by people on the Internet there is something really wrong with you. You focus on the opinions of a few people instead of worrying about why you have a terrible taste in video games.

Good question. I don't think it would make a significant improvement. I would suggest checking the performance you get in some games and comparing them with online benchmarks for the same games. Might not be accurate but you should get a general idea. Again though my guess would be no. I wouldn't think a HD7770 would bottleneck a PCI-e gen 1 (but I am guessing)

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Yes it would definitely help. I transplanted my 7770 from an old system with PCIE Gen 1 to my current system and saw a huge boost in performance.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

I think it would be awesome if you could do a comparison but of course that would be majorly difficult to do.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Yes it would definitely help. I transplanted my 7770 from an old system with PCIE Gen 1 to my current system and saw a huge boost in performance.

Any chance you can put a number on that boost? Like X more FPS on this game?

If you get easily offended by people on the Internet there is something really wrong with you. You focus on the opinions of a few people instead of worrying about why you have a terrible taste in video games.

PCIe 1.0 16x is equal to 2.0 8x or 3.0 4x, for a single GPU it doesnt seem to make any tangible difference whatsoever

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Impact-of-PCI-E-Speed-on-Gaming-Performance-518/

Your stoneage dual core will reduce your performance an many games though, even if a 7770 is not a very powerfull card.

A G3258 at 4,5 or something will be a good bit better.

PCIe 1.0 x16 is enough for that GPU, but a G3258 has better performance than your actual CPU

Oh yeah. Cpu boss scores it about twice as good.

PCIe 1.0 16x is equal to 2.0 8x or 3.0 4x, for a single GPU it doesnt seem to make any tangible difference whatsoever

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Impact-of-PCI-E-Speed-on-Gaming-Performance-518/

Your stoneage dual core will reduce your performance an many games though, even if a 7770 is not a very powerfull card.

A G3258 at 4,5 or something will be a good bit better.

So your thought is that my Core2Duo is limiting my 7770?

Any idea how high I can go with video cards before I start limiting the G3258?

Any chance you can put a number on that boost? Like X more FPS on this game?

I'd say maybe 20 FPS gain average.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

So your thought is that my Core2Duo is limiting my 7770?

Any idea how high I can go with video cards before I start limiting the G3258?

That depends alot on the game and your settings. Many games in the past used 2 cores, in those the G3258 will be just as good as new I7.

The development is using more cores though, load on 4cores/threads is becoming the standart now and some graphicly high end games make use of up to 8 cores (like crysis 3). 

Some multi core optimized games will be hard to get to 60 fps with a dual core, even with a good GPU and low settings. What you will notice in those is that turning up the eyecandy/resolution will hardly reduce the framerate. If you care about the graphics and are content with 40ish fps in some games you could go up to a to around a 270x/280/285 without loosing too much performance.

I'd say maybe 20 FPS gain average.

And what did you upgrade your CPU to and from?

That depends alot on the game and your settings. Many games in the past used 2 cores, in those the G3258 will be just as good as new I7.

The development is using more cores though, load on 4cores/threads is becoming the standart now and some graphicly high end games make use of up to 8 cores (like crysis 3).

Some multi core optimized games will be hard to get to 60 fps with a dual core, even with a good GPU and low settings. What you will notice in those is that turning up the eyecandy/resolution will hardly reduce the framerate. If you care about the graphics and are content with 40ish fps in some games you could go up to a to around a 270x/280/285 without loosing too much performance.

Good to know. Thanks for the advice.

And what did you upgrade your CPU to and from?

The 20 FPS gain is not going from PCI-E 1.x to 3.0, but it is from upgrading the CPU. Essentially, the CPU was holding the graphics card back -- bottleneck if you will.

As someone has already mentioned, PCI-E X16 1.x has the equivalent bandwidth as PCI-E x8 2.0.

2.0 @ x8 won't even bottleneck something like a...GTX 770 or a R9-280X / 290. There is no way a little HD 7770 will get bogged down by it.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

The 20 FPS gain is not going from PCI-E 1.x to 3.0, but it is from upgrading the CPU. Essentially, the CPU was holding the graphics card back -- bottleneck if you will.

As someone has already mentioned, PCI-E X16 1.x has the equivalent bandwidth as PCI-E x8 2.0.

2.0 @ x8 won't even bottleneck something like a...GTX 770 or a R9-280X / 290. There is no way a little HD 7770 will get bogged down by it.

And to me that is still fine because I'm buying a CPU and motherboard and I'll be able to get more performance out of my current video card from it.

The question that I'm sort of faced with now is what do I do next and should I be looking to put a little more money into my CPU or look to upgrade my GPU? Is there some kind of chart that I can get that will tell me where what CPU will bottleneck what GPU and vice versa?

Also if I'm looking to upgrade my GPU, and I have the cash for a R9-290, why don't I just spend a little more and get a GTX 970? 

I dont think the 1.0 pcie slot will be bottlenecking the 7770.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

And to me that is still fine because I'm buying a CPU and motherboard and I'll be able to get more performance out of my current video card from it.

The question that I'm sort of faced with now is what do I do next and should I be looking to put a little more money into my CPU or look to upgrade my GPU? Is there some kind of chart that I can get that will tell me where what CPU will bottleneck what GPU and vice versa?

Also if I'm looking to upgrade my GPU, and I have the cash for a R9-290, why don't I just spend a little more and get a GTX 970?

It doesn't matter which one you upgrade first, but in my opinion, I'd upgrade your CPU first. If your C2D CPU is holding even your HD 7770 back, it will be exactly the same for a GTX 970.

If the CPU bottleneck is huge, you'll get the same performance of your HD 7770 with a GTX 970. Remember, your system is only as fast as the weakest link / component.

Unfortunately, there is no chart to indicate what CPU will bottleneck which GPU -- and vise-versa. All you can really do is look at actual physical reviews / tests, and user experience.

I used a R9-290 as an example. Go for the GTX 970 (or whichever you like) by all means.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>