Programmers/Coders

Mouse-Potato

I was wondering, I have friends I've known for awhile (1 for 20 years the other for 5 years), they used to be pretty cool and laid back, now they program and live in the Bay Area (San Fran) and are kind of assholes and are arrogant.

Is it me or do people just become this way once they start coding, if i start coding for a career will i turn into a major prick?

Please enlighten me and hopefully prove me wrong!

I was wondering, I have friends I've known for awhile (1 for 20 years the other for 5 years), they used to be pretty cool and laid back, now they program and live in the Bay Area (San Fran) and are kind of assholes and are arrogant.

Is it me or do people just become this way once they start coding, if i start coding for a career will i turn into a major prick?

I feel like coding makes me more cynical....if that's possible... 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Is this a serious post?

post-37251-0-18135500-1413758529.gif

System: 5930K, MSI X99 SLI PLUS, GTX 780Ti (SLI),  840 EVO, Fractal R4 (Full Custom Loop)  (IP)

Media Server/Perm Folder: i3 4130, CX500, 4 X WD Red 1TB, 60GB Adata SSD for boot, Node 304, ASrock Z87-E ITX, 8GB Kingston Value Ram

I feel like coding makes me more cynical....if that's possible... 

So you become skeptical of what anyone tells you?

Is this a serious post?

Yes, infortunately it is. I thought I was the dick or something

So you become skeptical of what anyone tells you?

Well, in all fairness, I've also always been a bit on the over confident/arrogant side; and i've always thought people in general were beyond stupid....so

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

They probably believe their intelligence/work is much greater/important than others', which can lead to confidence and potentially arrogance. Confidence =/= arrogance though.

In actuality though, arrogance is usually a safe haven for those who lack self esteem and confidence, so...yeah...coding may have intensified their existing arrogance that maybe you weren't aware of.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

They probably believe their intelligence/work is much greater/important than others', which can lead to confidence and potentially arrogance. Confidence =/= arrogance though.

In actuality though, arrogance is usually a safe haven for those who lack self esteem and confidence, so...yeah...coding may have intensified their existing arrogance that maybe you weren't aware of.

I agree with you completely. That makes a lot of sense.

I have a friend that dropped out of high school, used to make cheats / hacks for COD and then applied for a remote job with a company in the USA doing programming.

gets paid $75K to work from home - and think his the bee's knees

His smart but only in his field - its nowhere near holistic

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I used to be a programmer for a small company as my first job. I hated it. I was even good at it, Hated it. 

I am a programmer, industrial software developper in fact.. Annnd i look like a stoner, surfer, sport guys without any arrogance. Maybe they where just a.holes the hole time.

:lol:

I am a programmer, industrial software developper in fact.. Annnd i look like a stoner, surfer, sport guys without any arrogance. Maybe they where just a.holes the hole time.

:lol:

Quite possibly, maybe it brought the deeper asshole out of each of them...

I'm going to say maybe? I've found at least since coding is such a logical thing people who do it tend to be very logical as well buuut that can also make them come across as an ass if they don't realize what they are doing

Please use http://pcpartpicker.com/ for everybodones sake!

and quote me if you want me to see a reply please :)

pewpewpewphysicslazers!!!

i wouldnt say arrogant but coding definitly made me more pessimistic. because my job as a software developer is to find bugs like 70 % of the time and that make you very critical. and then one day you cant turn off that part of your brain anymore and you start to also find bugs in your life and criticize everything. its really not good nor healthy. as for your friends getting arrogant may not have anything to do with their job but just with them being assholes.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

i wouldnt say arrogant but coding definitly made me more pessimistic. because my job as a software developer is to find bugs like 70 % of the time and that make you very critical. and then one day you cant turn off that part of your brain anymore and you start to also find bugs in your life and criticize everything. its really not good nor healthy. as for your friends getting arrogant may not have anything to do with their job but just with them being assholes.

Sounds like a disease!!

Maybe, don't know why tough.. It's like any other job, right ?

I'd say maybe a doctor or a psychologist might think this way after a while as well, like after they've seen some shit..

yes coders are arrogant bastards. all of them, you must stay clear or they will hurt you. /sarcasm

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]