C++ game programming

Caravetta

I am just wondering what libraries you guys use for game programming in C++.

I use SDL (with image, ttf/freetype, mixer) for window/input and OpenGL for graphics.

DirectX is the best. If you're looking for a challenge' date=' you can go for OpenGl, but from what I've heard it's a lot harder.[/quote']

I wouldn't say "DirectX is the best", as it's specifically for Microsoft platforms. But I'd say it's better to use it if you only target Microsoft platforms.

Legacy OpenGL is not hard at all. It's not a standard anymore, but it's great for beginners learning graphics for the first time. I got into legacy OpenGL when I started, and it'll be a bit weird for me to move on to the new stuff. I'll just have to get into it soon I guess. :)

DirectX is the standard for PC and Xbox, OpenGL is used on everything else. Having used both DirectX is much friendlier than OpenGL in my opinion. That said if you just looking to make games for fun something like Unity or the UDK would be a good place to start if you don't care as much about having to implement either in C++ and just want to make a game.

I recommend starting with DirectX 9. DX10 changed things up which can get in the way of learning the basics. The SDK can be downloaded from the MS website.

Best of luck

-CH

• 3 months later...

If you choose C++ then use DirectX.

If you plan to go to other platforms (Mac, linux etc.) take a look in Java game development, its still a thing!

Best regards Zahlio,
Unity asset developer - Game developer (http://playsurvive.com) - Computer Science student

I use SFML for cross-platform stuff.

I'm a lot more experienced in OpenGL because i've never used Microsoft APIs before.

If you want to get into game development, don't try to invent the wheel get a an engine (Horde3D, Ogre3D etc...) and spend time actually making the game.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

I really like trying to make an engine I find it to be fun trying to figure out how to make it work.

I find it really hard to wrap my head around that the "world moves around the cam"  and not the other way round. And the fact that i suck at math i cant do the calculations for that :(

If it is for fun and experimentation yeah why not, if you are strictly gamedev - get the engine and save the time.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

i use Python for basic code structuring then combine it with DirectX and PhysX for Rendering, lighting and simulation. then C++ and C for the rest of what is needed

Character artist in the Games industry.

i use Python for basic code structuring then combine it with DirectX and PhysX for Rendering, lighting and simulation. then C++ and C for the rest of what is needed

you use a scripting language to program your games?? Can you explain that to me? I just dont see what the advantage of that would be lol

you use a scripting language to program your games?? Can you explain that to me? I just dont see what the advantage of that would be lol

its for writing my own game engine

Character artist in the Games industry.

• 3 months later...

Would not use physx for a wide range of platforms because it is only good for nvidia cards because it is badly implemented on the cpu.

Haved used havok and bullet for physics api.

sound engine fmod is good, a lot of support out there and is used in top titles.

Scaleform have used it for ui's but starting to become unpopular lately due to flash.

Bink Video sometimes bit buggy can code around the bugs though.

side note

if you are going down the nvidia route use cuda for water simulations and such(easily parallel objects).

or  OpenCL API for parallel objects(could be used to create own collision system / physics system).