Apple's October 16th event: new iPads and 5k iMac

Dietrichw

the iMac is a whole computer.

I know. They compared it to a 4k display that cost 3000$ saying the iMac cost less then just a display

That new mac mini is really tempting to try out mac OS before committing to a macbook.

they make for great HTPCs as well

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

best thing is I bet they are the same panel

it would be a ... Quad-Quad-HD panel

Apple tends to source some of the nicer panels, so I'd also wager its the Dell panel or a LG equivalent we don't know about yet. 

2499 for a 5K monitor that has a computer attached? Sign me up. This is PERFECT for pixel to pixel editing for professionals AND still having room on screen left over for your editing tools. 

What a time to be alive. @Dietrichw I think I'm all done here, you can copy/pasta everything over to the original post when you see fit. 

I'm rather miffed they didn't update the Thunderbolt display! I hope it appears!

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

How much were Mac Minis before? $500 seems a lot lower that usual. 

they are 100 cheaper

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

How much were Mac Minis before? $500 seems a lot lower that usual. 

I think they were also like $600

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I'm rather miffed they didn't update the Thunderbolt display! I hope it appears!

maybe a silent launch?

5K TB display here we go. 

Spring I suspect along with the MBA updates. Unless Apple pulls a ninja refresh on those. 

Well at that price I am kind of impressed with both the 5K iMac and the new Mac Mini.

I am worried about the GPU though. They said it's an R9 M295X (new part we have no info about). The M290X is basically a 7870 so it might not be that powerful. Could be a problem when using a 5K display.

they are 100 cheaper

ahhh.... could have sworn they started at $700 but any price drop is a good price drop :D

Apple as it again, and shows it's new display for the iMac, which the company claims it is the world's highest resolution display.

DSC_0636_verge_super_wide.jpg

A 27inch 5K display.

While impressive, it is however, not true at all. Dell has theirs already.

MaxPNG%20%284%29_678x452.png

And, Dell features a reflection reducing glossy coating, and is fully adjustable.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/16/6984755/apple-imac-with-retina-display-announced

Source 2: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8496/dell-previews-27inch-5k-ultrasharp-monitor-5120x2880

5K TB display here we go. 

Spring I suspect along with the MBA updates. Unless Apple pulls a ninja refresh on those. 

5K TB2 display, and I want 10GBe

Well at that price I am kind of impressed with both the 5K iMac and the new Mac Mini.

I am worried about the GPU though. They said it's an R9 M295X (new part we have no info about). The M290X is basically a 7870 so it might not be that powerful. Could be a problem when using a 5K display.

Well, gaming at 5k won't happen....but, everything else will be fine :/ 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

They didn't say it's the only one; 5K is the world's highest resolution for screens; and the new iMac has one of them.

ahhh.... could have sworn they started at $700 but any price drop is a good price drop :D

700 for a mac mini was core2duo era stuff

I know. They compared it to a 4k display that cost 3000$ saying the iMac cost less then just a display

High quality 4K displays still do cost $2000+ I can guarantee you Apple is not using a cheap TN panel in the iMac, all the cheap 4K displays are TN and have poor sRGB and Adobe RGB color gamut support. Dell's 32" 4K display that is IPS and has 99% Adobe RGB, and 100% sRGB support still cost $3200 for the display alone. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&cs=cabsdt1&l=en&sku=210-ACBL

There are far more metrics to a monitors quality than resolution.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

but if its an 25" 5k screen then it would have the most density.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Well, gaming at 5k won't happen....but, everything else will be fine :/ 

damn I've always wanted to buy an iMac for gaming...

I'd expect it to come out eventually, but maybe they're just trying to drive people looking for a 5k display towards the imac before that happens.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Apple as it again, and shows it's new display for the iMac, which the company claims it is the world's highest resolution display.

A 27inch 5K display.

While impressive, it is however, not true at all. Dell has theirs already.

And, Dell features a reflection reducing glossy coating, and is fully adjustable.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/16/6984755/apple-imac-with-retina-display-announced

Source 2: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8496/dell-previews-27inch-5k-ultrasharp-monitor-5120x2880

Dell's is not yet commercially available for purchase. You can preorder it. 5K iMacs aware order-ready. Also, being tied for 1st is still being in 1st.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

damn I've always wanted to buy an iMac for gaming...

:)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Dosen't mean it's the first, it just means that it's the highest resolution display publically availible