Apple's October 16th event: new iPads and 5k iMac

Dietrichw

I need to know how they are measuring batteries now. 

My iPad 4 was rated to 10 hours. So is this a new test? Or a capacity decrease? Or what the hell is going on. 

milliamp hours/milli amps per hour used under typical workload. Not that hard...

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

milliamp hours/milli amps per hour used under typical workload. Not that hard...

Thats not the point. 

Why the decrease? Are they using a different test entirely to gauge battery life now? Or have they decreased battery capacity entirely? If the latter, boo. If the former, then maybe their battery life testing is a more gruelling test than what most people would encounter in daily life. 

5K iMac! Called it! The perfect upgrade over their 1440p displays, since it's quad 1440p.

Now I hope they shove in AT LEAST a GTX 980m with 4+GB

I hope this means the cinema display is also getting an update. Hopefully with a matte anti-glare screen option.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

5120x2880 display. I'm done.

Awesome. Just awesome. 

Now if only it had the power to drive that shit in gaming. 

Out of curiosity, can SLI work over thunderbolt?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

If I yawned any harder my yaw would break.

Oh never mind the retina iMac is pretty cool. The iPad Air and Mini announcements were like concentrated Ambien though.

5K iMac! Called it! The perfect upgrade over their 1440p displays, since it's quad 1440p.

I hope this means the cinema display is also getting an update. Hopefully with a matte anti-glare screen option.

Radeon R9 graphics. 

Don't say which. Likely mobile. 

ew no, its an m290x. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

and the went whit r9 rather that maxwell for gpu, that missed opportunity

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Radeon R9 graphics. 

Don't say which. Likely mobile. 

ew no, its an m290x. 

AMD R9 graphics will be powering that 5k display

FFS APPLE! WHY?! Maxwell is perfect for it. :'(

At least the tope iMac GPU matches a single AMD FirePro D700 in Tflops 

On the bright side, Yosemite really beefed up the AMD Driver OpenGL performance. More than doubled minimum FPS in OpenGL 4 games.

Alsot he price is bloody amazing for that monitor included with the m290X GPU. :o

Yeah right...

Apple going non-glossy? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

</rant>

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

3000$ for a 4k display?! Did they make this presentation 2 years ago?

and they are finally refreshing the mac mini, my bro is going to be happy about this one

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

FFS APPLE! WHY?! Maxwell is perfect for it. :'(

At least the tope iMac GPU matches a single AMD FirePro D700 in Tflops

You have to remember all the design and production was done before Maxwell launched.

3000$ for a 4k display?! Did they make this presentation 2 years ago?

the iMac is a whole computer.

Starts at $2499.

Seeing that a 4k Asus PQ321q starts at $2000, it's not bad seeing a 5k monitor along with a full powered PC for $500 more. (yes I realize the Asus is 31" but its also 4k rather than 5k).

The Apple tax myth is busted again.

iMac with 27 inch 5K display = $2500

Dell 27 inch 5K display by itself = $2500

logic?

wasnt apple suppoesed to be op?

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

Yeah right...

Apple going non-glossy? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

</rant>

I actually like the glossy screens :unsure: 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

You have to remember all the design and production was done before Maxwell launched.

Hardly Apple has access to the latest tech from each as they're being developed.

Most likely part of the AMD contract for Mac Pro as well.

Such a pity the Mini didn't get a mobile dedicated graphics card. :'(

also AMD tend to be way cheaper.

who cares it'll do the job.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

That new mac mini is really tempting to try out mac OS before committing to a macbook.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Shh.

You're going to break the Apple tax/anti-Apple circle jerk around here. 

best thing is I bet they are the same panel

it would be a ... Quad-Quad-HD panel