Sennheiser HD 598 or 650?

Surtur Tech

Hey. I'm looking for new headphones mostly for gaming. Honestly i don't understand anything about audio so i don't really know what i should look for so ended up with Sennheiser HD 598 and 650 but not really sure which one to get or should i get some other headphone? Any recommendations for gaming headphones? (Prefer without Mic) Also do i need amplifier for the headphones to get them working properly? Budget isn't that big of a problem but looking for something around <700€  (not including the amplifier if needed) 

Cheers

-Surtur

Maybe you should be looking at the sennheiser g4me one's g4me zero's or the pc350 and the pc363d. I have the 363d's, it comes with an inline sound card, I didn't want to buy a an amp. Those all come with mircrophones but seriously the best microphones on a headset I think I have heard. At least in the $2-300 range. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

He said he doesn't want a mic. Why are you suggesting headsets?

For HD650s the price of the amp is going to be $100 if you want to be totally sure the amp is enough even if you listen at ridiculous SPLs.

I'd say go for HD650s... if you can afford it. For some people these are already their end-game.

I mean, 598 some people are just going to say that 558 is close enough. But they're not going to say it's close enough to the HD650s.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

He said he doesn't want a mic. Why are you suggesting headsets?

For HD650s the price of the amp is going to be $100 if you want to be totally sure the amp is enough even if you listen at ridiculous SPLs.

I'd say go for HD650s... if you can afford it. For some people these are already their end-game.

I mean, 598 some people are just going to say that 558 is close enough. But they're not going to say it's close enough to the HD650s.

What amplifier would you recommend to go with the 650's?

Here comes Creatip, he's going to recommend HE400s to you.  ;)

Depends. If OP already set his eyes on 598 or 650, I wouldn't recommend HE400, because they're quite different. Both the 598 or 650 don't appeal to me, so I'd assume vice versa...

If it's just for gaming go for the 558's dont waste your money, however music is a completely different matter.

Depends. If OP already set his eyes on 598 or 650, I wouldn't recommend HE400, because they're quite different. Both the 598 or 650 don't appeal to me, so I'd assume vice versa...

y u gotta hate bro?

What don't you like about those?

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

y u gotta hate bro?

What don't you like about those?

Not hate, just not my cup of tea. Same like the Beyer's T1, insanely clear highs and details, but not my preference, so not for me. 

Not hate, just not my cup of tea. Same like the Beyer's T1, insanely clear highs and details, but not my preference, so not for me. 

Such hate.

BTW, That's more like HD600, HD650 is more bassy with less highs.

Such hate.

BTW, That's more like HD600, HD650 is more bassy with less highs.

Didn't mean the Senn's are insanely clear highs and details like the T1. I meant, although I can appreciate them as good headphones, it's still not for me, not my preference.

Didn't mean the Senn's are insanely clear highs and details like the T1. I meant, although I can appreciate them as good headphones, it's still not for me, not my preference.

senn4life

Axel, will you marry me?  :wub:

/Derailed

For gaming I'd recommend HD598 out of those two. I actually own both the 598 and 650 and I use the 598's for gaming, I don't really see a need to go 650 just for gaming.

600/650 are legitimately better - the 598 isn't much different from the 558, and the 518 is fairly close to those two.

For gaming I'd recommend HD598 out of those two. I actually own both the 598 and 650 and I use the 598's for gaming, I don't really see a need to go 650 just for gaming.

If i'd go with the 598 would i still need to get amp with it or should i upgrade my audio card to something better (or both) since i only have the SupremeFX 2014 audio card which is integrated in Asus Rampage V Extreme motherboard? or does amplifier make any difference if i run with the integrated audio car? Sorry i've got no knowledge regarding audio stuff.

You just need an amp, it'll work fine if you use your onboard DAC. The 598s are probably fine without an external amp.

I vote HD650, they have amazing reviews, and @ShearMe loves his.

A schiit magni / objective 2 amp will be more than enough for amplification. ( Agree with @Dark_wizzie )

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

If i'd go with the 598 would i still need to get amp with it or should i upgrade my audio card to something better (or both) since i only have the SupremeFX 2014 audio card which is integrated in Asus Rampage V Extreme motherboard? or does amplifier make any difference if i run with the integrated audio car? Sorry i've got no knowledge regarding audio stuff.

I always recommend to get  a good quality amp to get the most out of your headphones. Personally I'm using a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus DAC that also has a decent headphone amp.

650 all the way

just make sure your PC is quite while gaming, the open design of these guys makes sure you hear eveything around you.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

why are many of you reccomending HD6xx line for gaming? they're crappy for gaming ( atleast for me)
just get HD558 or any Beyerdynamic DT.

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

I would honestly hold off on getting a $100 amp until you can afford something nicer. I think I spent around an hour going back and forth with my HD650s switching between the average onboard motherboard audio and my Mangi/Modi. I could barely tell the difference and it was barely noticeable; I think the highs were just a tad bit clearer with the Magni. So in MY OPINION you could get the HD650s and hold off on an amp until later and you'd probably be fine, and if you get a lower end one I definitely don't think you'll need an amp. Especially not for gaming. Getting a tube amp soon so hopefully I'll notice a difference with that as I hear the 650s pair with them well.

My compooter: http://imgur.com/a/mDFsx?

Hello OP, I went down the exact path as you. I started with a slew of "gaming" headsets then eventually the HD 558 and a schiit Modi dac + Magni amp. Wasn't very impressed with the highs and clarity on the 558, so went to the HD598, I had to return these twice because of a buzzing sound at a clean tone around 60-120hz range. So finally I returned those and stepped up to the HD650s, they are worth every penny and then some. It is such a beautiful sound signature, very natural, just enough bass, and very good clarity. I then felt like my amp and dac were holding back the headphones slightly though, so eventually upgraded those to the Schiit Bifrost + uber dac and a Schiit Asgard 2 amplifier (the modi+magni stack is a cheaper and still a very enjoyable experience though). Music, movies, and games have never sounded this good to me personally. I have heard the HD800's and the HD650s side by side in an a/b test, and with the right dac+amp the HD650s win hands down with just the rich and beautiful sound they produce.

So, my advice, go ahead and get the HD650s and pair them with any Schiit products, you wont be sorry. I have found my audiophile peace finally, my upgradeitis has been cured. I wish you luck!

The 598s will not need an amp, but the 650 will. For gaming though, I would look at the HD 600. They are very similar to the HD650, but they have more of a crisp sound, which is great for games, movies, and rock music. The 650s have a much warmer smoother sound and are better for things like jazz and classical music. I would do the 598s personally. They are an amazing headphone and you will be able to use your on board audio no problem. The 600s and 650s are both 300 ohm and must be amped. A good amp that will compliment the headphone will be around $100.