Was there any point in this CPU?

Hi

I found out that Intel's top of the line CPU back in the C2Q days was the QX9775. It was LGA771, required the expensive dual-socket D5400XS board and FB-DIMMs too. But it was pretty similar to the QX9770, which had the exact same specs, but didn't require expensive parts. It was LGA775 and any board with that socket would've been fine. So what exactly was the point of the QX9775? Or was it just a 9770 with 4 pins removed.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

it was a "entry level" cpu for dual socket platform,so yes. (not everyone can spend 10k on a pc at once)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

It supported dual socket whereas the 9770 didn't.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I think they called it skulltrail. Basically an extreme extreme platform.

Wasn't the 9770 1600FSB? In which case most 775 boards wouldn't run it.

Only good P45s and X48s

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

It was Intel's attempt at using dual socket CPUs for the ultra high-end gaming segment. It's call SkullTrail where it has 2x Xeons rename to Core 2 Extremes using socket 771, since desktop version socket 775, isn't capable of 2-way CPU support. The idea didn't catch on as FB-DIMM is expensive, ran hot, and slow compare to standard DDR2 ram

Here is AMD's dual socket platform

6r0ti1.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Point of that CPU was the multiplier. Higher multiplier > lower FSB so you don't have to OC the FSB as much as you would with a lower multiplier which makes OC'ing far easier and you'll hit the RAM limit much later.

Point of that CPU was the multiplier. Higher multiplier > lower FSB so you don't have to OC the FSB as much as you would with a lower multiplier which makes OC'ing far easier and you'll hit the RAM limit much later.

I thought it had a 1600MHz FSB?

And a multi of 8

It was Intel's attempt at using dual socket CPUs for the ultra high-end gaming segment. It's call SkullTrail where it has 2x Xeons rename to Core 2 Extremes using socket 771, since desktop version socket 775, isn't capable of 2-way CPU support. The idea didn't catch on as FB-DIMM is expensive, ran hot, and slow compare to standard DDR2 ram

Here is AMD's dual socket platform

are you sure that is AMD? the sockets look very LGA to me, not PGA

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I thought it had a 1600MHz FSB?

And a multi of 8

4-18-08-6ghz-skulltrail.jpg

429MHz FSB so you only need 860MHz DDR2 lol. A Q9550 had a multiplier of 8.5, so for 6GHz you needed a FSB of 6GHz/8.5= 705MHz on FSB so 1400MHz RAM which you never could pull from DDR2.

AMD have LGAs on the server side. I think G34 is like LGA1974 or something strange. The one with the rectangle CPUs.

AMD have LGAs on the server side. I think G34 is like LGA1974 or something strange. The one with the rectangle CPUs.

this doesnt look rectangular tho

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

4-18-08-6ghz-skulltrail.jpg

429MHz FSB so you only need 860MHz DDR2 lol. A Q9550 had a multiplier of 8.5, so for 6GHz you needed a FSB of 6GHz/8.5= 705MHz on FSB so 1400MHz RAM which you never could pull from DDR2.

Ah right. I forgot these were extremes.

Might be an older socket like LGA1207

k its amd

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/brute-force-quad-cores,1371-6.html

its for the Athlon 64 FX-7x on the LGA1207

Ah right. I forgot these were extremes.

Well Intel used to release their new architectures first for the Extreme lineup. Since Sandy Bridge, they decided to release it first for the mainstream lineup instead.

Well Intel used to release their new architectures first for the Extreme lineup. Since Sandy Bridge, they decided to release it first for the mainstream lineup instead.

Apart from the NetBurst extremes. I think we got the Conroe/Kentsfield before the last NetBurst extreme edition. (Gallatin core?)

AMD Opterons are pinless just like Intel CPUs, that board uses socket F which has 1207pins. It's a very old model.

This FX has not connections with the new FX.

Current AMD Opterons are G32 and G34, with G34 capable of going up to quad socket. Just like Intel Xeon E7.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7757/quad-ivy-brigde-ex-60-cores-120-threads

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

AMD Opterons are pinless just like Intel CPUs, that board uses socket F which has 1207pins. It's a very old model.

This FX has not connections with the new FX.

Current AMD Opterons are G32 and G34, with G34 capable of going up to quad socket. Just like Intel Xeon E7.

i have read about it since :) but thanks anyway

Apart from the NetBurst extremes. I think we got the Conroe/Kentsfield before the last NetBurst extreme edition. (Gallatin core?)

Not sure tbh :P

ohhh skull trail......... it was a good idea in theory. 

but did not oc that well (with 2 cpus in) and didn't perform well enough to justify its existence in a consumer product.

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

-32GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000mhz DDR5 - WB Black 1 & 2 TB NVME -EVGA 1300W G2

Full loop 2x480mm XSPC RX Rads / Thermaltake Pacific W8 Block

LGA771 was for sever CPUs while LGA775 was for consumer CPUs back when those sockets were used for the current gen CPUs anyways. As LGA771 CPUs assume you are a sever FB-DIMMs most likely also with ECC are required by the board's memory controller to work. Severs most times have ECC RAM and higher amounts of RAM too because most Severs actually go through that amount but FB-DIMMs and ECC are expenive yes.

the QX9770 is the single CPU version of the QX9775 which is the dual CPU version of it.