Samsung 840/840 EVO Firmware Upgrade - Release

GoodBytes

I'll probably go for the USB stick without OS approach on my 840 EVOs.  The PC and netbook are due for a format anyway.  Excellent excuse to wipe all my SSDs and start fresh

Question though : Is it only the 2.5" EVO that's affected or every 840 EVO regardless of form factor?  I have an mSATA EVO in one of my laptops as well.

EDIT : nevermind, looks like the mSATA needs it too.

yes, just did it on the msata 250gb one

I noticed a pretty significant increase in boot up times. There was a noticeable lag before the task bar and icons appeared on my system, but now it's instant.

10/10, would update again

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

While EVO is faster when you are comparing new SSDs you have to have in mind that SSDs speed decrease over time and with Crucial MLC Flash it wont decrease as much as with Samsung TLC Flash used in EVO. So overtime Crucial SSD will be faster.

that takes years and i mean literally years according to the massive ssd test that was done recently (some one help me out with the degradation test that went on for 100s of terabytes) by the time it makes a difference you will probably have upgraded several times over

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

While EVO is faster when you are comparing new SSDs you have to have in mind that SSDs speed decrease over time and with Crucial MLC Flash it wont decrease as much as with Samsung TLC Flash used in EVO. So overtime Crucial SSD will be faster.

Yeah by that time it won't even matter

That actually doesn't happen all the difference really between the two is endurance.

Is this for the 840 pro aswell or just the standard 840 and 840 evo?

Hi!  Please quote me in replies otherwise I may not see your response!

it says there might be a chance of data loss. So I cant do it....

If you're not backing up your data, you have bigger problems to worry about.

I believe Samsung have now written close to 8 petabytes onto a 128GB 840 Evo, orders of magnitude mire than most will write in a systems lifetime, with only minor performance loss

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

it is for evo for sure. not sure about normal 840

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Ok, so since I am in RAID 0, only way to go about doing this is to image my drives onto another hhd, install windows on one SSD alone, do the tool to each SSD, then re RAID them and move the image back...?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

So is the issue when the drive is off? I have my 840 in my ps3 and i havent touched it in a week

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

So only normal 840's and evos have this problem and firmware update? My 840 Pro is safe?

My System:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X - CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i Platinum - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-F - RAM: Neo 16 GB 3600 Mhz - GPU: 2x Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 OC in crossfire - OS SSD: Samsung Nvme SSD 256 GB Second SSD Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB - Games: RAID 0 3 x Seagate 1 TB HDD - Case: NZXT H710i - PSU: Corsair AX860i
Former Rig Picture: http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/10157-4-pc-may-2014/

This fix is only for the 840 EVO 2.5" and 840 EVO mSATA.

My drive took about 30 minutes to update.

From what I am reading is that the 840 and 840 EVI has this issue.

What I don't know, is if the firmware upgrade is for both SSD of only the EVO series.

Ok, so since I am in RAID 0, only way to go about doing this is to image my drives onto another hhd, install windows on one SSD alone, do the tool to each SSD, then re RAID them and move the image back...?

can u actually clone a drive to two others in a RAID 0 mode, when the source HDD is only one drive?

Finally. Been waiting for long enough

well its not realy needed, booting is like 0,25secs faster

can u actually clone a drive to two others in a RAID 0 mode, when the source HDD is only one drive?

Yea. Because once they are in raid they only show up as a single drive to software cloning tools. I have done it before, just didn't really want to deal with this :/.

I guess I could back up the drives incase something goes to shit, pop them both in another PC and do the update. As long as it doesn't change data (which is shouldn't, they should be able to pop back in the raid array. Guess I will find out. I just really don't want to reformat as I just friking did last week!!!

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

Yea. Because once they are in raid they only show up as a single drive to software cloning tools. I have done it before, just didn't really want to deal with this :/.

I guess I could back up the drives incase something goes to shit, pop them both in another PC and do the update. As long as it doesn't change data (which is shouldn't, they should be able to pop back in the raid array. Guess I will find out. I just really don't want to reformat as I just friking did last week!!!

but what if you connect the two ssds in RAID 0 to another pc with a hdd that you want to be cloned on the ssds?

It will be fine. You can move raid arrays from computer to computer. Just to make it simple and not have weird driver issues I might just use a spare hard drive and put it in my main rig and just do it all on there. Not sure yet. Need to think of the least intrusive way.

It will be fine. You can move raid arrays from computer to computer. Just to make it simple and not have weird driver issues I might just use a spare hard drive and put it in my main rig and just do it all on there. Not sure yet. Need to think of the least intrusive way.

in my opinion its not worth, since the ssds are already so fast, can u tell me your 4k random transfers after update please

Problem is since I just formatted I don't have a baseline. If I do a hhd test now it will look the exact same after I do the update. Only been about a week since I formatted so hasn't been enough time for the drives to slow down. And I did notice a difference after I reformatted. Read speeds definitely increased, and programs that were on the PC for months opened faster. So this update does make a difference.

Problem is since I just formatted I don't have a baseline. If I do a hhd test now it will look the exact same after I do the update. Only been about a week since I formatted so hasn't been enough time for the drives to slow down. And I did notice a difference after I reformatted. Read speeds definitely increased, and programs that were on the PC for months opened faster. So this update does make a difference.

(Samsung is as good as Intel)>Crucial