High Quality Video Playback On Windows

Opcode

@ThatGuyWhoTwirlsHisPen thank you SO MUCH! (i cant quote u for some reason)

now got it working perfectly!

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Finally got around to testing this.

Colors are much better, sharpness has improved as well (altough the colors are much more noticable).

Thank you!

The only drawback is the installation... VLC is very quick to download + no setup, so I will still be using that when installing/configuring new machines that are not for me :-).

Thanks again and greetz,

Stef

@ThatGuyWhoTwirlsHisPen thank you SO MUCH! (i cant quote u for some reason)

now got it working perfectly!

You're welcome. Finally got my log in fixed.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

• 3 weeks later...

Any reason for x86 over the x64 version of MPC-BE?

madVR is only compiled for x86 so you need every piece of software to be x86 compatible (including LAV Filters).

madVR is only compiled for x86 so you need every piece of software to be x86 compatible (including LAV Filters).

Is that going to affect watching 4GB+ files? I maintain a very large digital collection ripped from my Blu-Rays, and average file size ranges from 6GB to 12GB, with some being even higher (Though most of these have been compressed slightly using Handbrake). My newer rips are straight rips with no compression.

I should give this a try. I'm using VLC on my HTPC right now.

BTW @Opcode, do you know if MPC-BE or MPC-HC supports running the display at 24Hz? I have a pretty nice Plasma TV, and I sometimes use Plex Media Centre on it, which syncs the display to the playback refresh rate for 24p Blu-Ray rips.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Is that going to affect watching 4GB+ files? I maintain a very large digital collection ripped from my Blu-Rays, and average file size ranges from 6GB to 12GB, with some being even higher (Though most of these have been compressed slightly using Handbrake). My newer rips are straight rips with no compression.

Doesn't make a difference because the whole video file isn't loaded into memory.

Playing a ~16GB movie in 32bit MPC-HC right now without any issues.

Not OP but I can answer your question about running the display at 24Hz. Yes that is possible. You can enable it in MPC-HC by going to "Options -> Playback -> Fullscreen". In there you can edit which display mode you want for different FPS content. I think madVR also has an option for it but I can't find it right now.

Doesn't make a difference because the whole video file isn't loaded into memory.

Not OP but I can answer your question about running the display at 24Hz. Yes that is possible. You can enable it in MPC-HC by going to "Options -> Playback -> Fullscreen". In there you can edit which display mode you want for different FPS content. I think madVR also has an option for it but I can't find it right now.

Interesting. Now will I have to change that setting each time I switch between 24p content and standard 30p content? Or will it auto-detect what the framerate of the video is?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Ninja's in "check out my simpler MPC-HC guide in my sig" ;):P

But anyway I don't agree with your madVR filter settings. I know they are popular but why do something that you have to correct with something else.

Ninja's in "check out my simpler MPC-HC guide in my sig" ;):P

But anyway I don't agree with your madVR filter settings. I know they are popular but why do something that you have to correct with something else.

What do you think is wrong with his settings (in comparison, to say, your guide)? What difference will it produce compared to yours?

I am doing the same but with MPC-HC.

Perhaps add a segment for the hardware decoder types and also scaling options, I've personally chosen DXVA2 over CUVID on my Nvidia system because CUVID uses more power and doesn't yield a discernable improvement in performance.

You can download a bunch more with cuvid because it's using Cuba to decode. When you use dxva it does it right on the card before displaying it. Up until a more recent version of madVR you couldnt even use it with dxva and I believe now it still have to be on a certain mode but maybe that has changed. I only used it with amd gpu's and no longer have one, which is why i dont yet have a amd ini file for my guide.

Codecs provide poor quality video playback. Check the top of the first post for a picture comparison between VLC and MPC-BE w/ madVR.

VLC is intended to just work with whatever video file you have, they don't do much optimization to provide the best video experience to the end user.

It also has always had shit support for subtitles which is rather important for anime. The main huge this is that your stuck with what they provide and tweaking is limited.

i been using CCCP for years and never had any problems or bug then again the only thing i do with it is watch videos.

Please don't use codec packs like that. They do no work and just bundle together all the great things others have made.

I don't like anime :P

Here's some test videos, added them to main post.

In my guide I have links to a good variety of test files that I have made myself.

Pot player already provides me best quality. No need for this, but thx for article anyway.

Pot player, zoom player, MPC-HC all use the same backend based on Microsoft's directshow api.

You would actually want to setup all of that in madVR if your using it.

What do you think is wrong with his settings (in comparison, to say, your guide)? What difference will it produce compared to yours?

I use a more neutral scaler so that you don't also have to rune a filter to cancel out the side effects of said scaler. It's also easier to run due to this.

Also for 480p content my 750 Ti in my HTPC is plenty powerful to use nnedi upscaling for at least 24 fps content. This well give you the best results hands down but is quite heft to process for your gpu.

I should give this a try. I'm using VLC on my HTPC right now.

BTW @Opcode, do you know if MPC-BE or MPC-HC supports running the display at 24Hz? I have a pretty nice Plasma TV, and I sometimes use Plex Media Centre on it, which syncs the display to the playback refresh rate for 24p Blu-Ray rips.

Media players don't cache the entire video for playback so file size shouldn't be a problem. As for display frequency you can actually tell madVR what frequencies you wish to use.

20257ee6_displaymodes.png

This wont sync the display but rather sync the renderer with the refresh rate of your display.

It also has always had shit support for subtitles which is rather important for anime. The main huge this is that your stuck with what they provide and tweaking is limited.

Other than rendering the subtitles at video resolution I don't think there is anything wrong with VLC's subtitle rendering. It even plays ITW's release of Noucome just fine, and that release is insane in terms of typesetting.

Please don't use codec packs like that. They do no work and just bundle together all the great things others have made.

What's wrong with using a codec pack? I use KCP. I'd say that codec pack has made all guides like yours and Opcode's obsolete.

Same reason why I stopped updating mine.

What's wrong with using a codec pack? I use KCP. I'd say that codec pack has made all guides like yours and Opcode's obsolete.

I don't like using some scrubs predefined configuration. I prefer setting everything up myself (the right way) along with always having the latest components.

If I get the time I will push up an install package to replace my guide.

I don't like using some scrubs predefined configuration. I prefer setting everything up myself (the right way) along with always having the latest components.

Yeah, some scrubs... Your guide seems to be a copy of nand's old guide (RIP in piece nand) which is the same as KCP is based on. That guide is 3 years old at this point so yours has some extra tweaks but that's fairly minor stuff (like using the newer and more demanding scaling algorithm).

Your guide is the same as the highest preset in KCP (there are multiple presets to choose from). Jinc 3 taps, Carmull-Rom for downscaling with LL and anti-ringing filter on all 3.

The difference between KCP and your guide is that with KCP you just have to download a single installer and run that. Oh and you will get better subtitles with KCP (higher performance and support more functions).

I recommend you get off your high horse and actually look at programs before declaring that your solution is superior.

Download link: Haruhichan forums

Yeah, some scrubs... Your guide seems to be a copy of nand's old guide (RIP in piece nand) which is the same as KCP is based on. That guide is 3 years old at this point so yours has some extra tweaks but that's fairly minor stuff (like using the newer and more demanding scaling algorithm).

Your guide is the same as the highest preset in KCP (there are multiple presets to choose from). Jinc 3 taps, Carmull-Rom for downscaling with LL and anti-ringing filter on all 3.

The difference between KCP and your guide is that with KCP you just have to download a single installer and run that. Oh and you will get better subtitles with KCP (higher performance and support more functions).

I recommend you get off your high horse and actually look at programs before declaring that your solution is superior.

Download link: Haruhichan forums

If I build a new media package I plan on incorporating all the bells and whistles (Re-Clock, madVR, LAV Filters, xy-VSFilter). The only reason they are left out in this guide is because I don't prefer them (subtitles for one is stupid if you ask me).

If I build a new media package I plan on incorporating all the bells and whistles (Re-Clock, madVR, LAV Filters, xy-VSFilter). The only reason they are left out in this guide is because I don't prefer them (subtitles for one is stupid if you ask me).

But then you'd just end up with a clone of KCP.

KCP already includes Re-Clock, madVR, LAVFilter and XySubFilter (better version of xy-VSFilter because it can render at desktop resolution instead of video resolution).

KCP already includes Re-Clock, madVR, LAVFilter and XySubFilter (better version of xy-VSFilter because it can render at desktop resolution instead of video resolution).

You'll end up with my iteration of a media setup. Plus whatever custom software I write for my package.

Other than rendering the subtitles at video resolution I don't think there is anything wrong with VLC's subtitle rendering. It even plays ITW's release of Noucome just fine, and that release is insane in terms of typesetting.

It used to be far worse and had performance issues, I'm glad they fixed that. Though the whole video resolution thing isn't ideal.

90%+ of them just repackage stuff already available this takes away direct downloads and hits from the creators.

Have you actually really read through my guide? It's basically just install the stuff and put in my ini for anything player and decoder related. There are a few settings I suggest changing in made madVR but most of those are on a per setup basis. I could automate the installation but it's nothing all that hard really. The only thing that I guess would be easier would be something that auto detects for madVR and puts in compatible settings. But even then I've had TV's say they could do 25h and 50hz but they really can't.

Oh and by default I have it set to down mix to stereo so there's a small guide on that for setting it up for a receiver or should/will be. That could be a set of prompts but once again there is stuff you have to know to set it up correctly. To make it super easy there would have to be some kind of auto detect. You might be able to do that with hdmi for sure since it tells windows what it can do. Pertaining someone has gone through the two windows setup prompts for their digital output. You should be able to pull either of those from somewhere and make it so it sets it up accordingly. Though just the other day I ran into a receiver that said it could do 192khz but really couldn't.

Same, though I have mine down now to where I just have to adjust for updates and changes.

If I build a new media package I plan on incorporating all the bells and whistles (Re-Clock, madVR, LAV Filters, xy-VSFilter). The only reason they are left out in this guide is because I don't prefer them (subtitles for one is stupid if you ask me).

With smooth motion in madVR there really is no need for reclock. Also it just adds one big headache to the whole thing.

Xysubfilter is just a version of xyvsfilter that works directly with madVR. Basically it loads in/with madVR. If your using another renderer though xyvsfilter I'd still the best option available.

You'll end up with my iteration of a media setup. Plus whatever custom software I write for my package.

What custom software for example?

Because right now, what you are describing, and what your guide is telling people to do is just an inferior and more complicated version of KCP.

90%+ of them just repackage stuff already available this takes away direct downloads and hits from the creators.

Well KCP is not just repackaged stuff, it also comes preconfigured. Not sure why you'd think "taking hits away from the creator" is bad. All of the stuff is open source and don't run ads on their websites, so hits doesn't really do anything for them.

Have you actually really read through my guide? It's basically just install the stuff and put in my ini for anything player and decoder related. There are a few settings I suggest changing in made madVR but most of those are on a per setup basis. I could automate the installation but it's nothing all that hard really. The only thing that I guess would be easier would be something that auto detects for madVR and puts in compatible settings. But even then I've had TV's say they could do 25h and 50hz but they really can't.

Yep I read through your guide. Overly complicated and the result will still not be as good as one of the presets in KCP, other than smooth playback being on. "Install KCP and then turn on smooth playback" is not really enough to deserve an entire guide though, right?

Oh and by default I have it set to down mix to stereo so there's a small guide on that for setting it up for a receiver or should/will be.

Oh right, two things that makes you guide different from KCP. Open LAV Audio -> Mixing -> enable mixing. Again, "install KCP" and then two sentences doesn't really justify a huge guide.

Xysubfilter is just a version of xyvsfilter that works directly with madVR. Basically it loads in/with madVR. If your using another renderer though xyvsfilter I'd still the best option available.

How is xy-VSFilter better than XySubFilter when you use another renderer than madVR?

XySubFilter works with some other renderers as well (such as EVR) and you will still get desktop resolution subtitles. xy-VSFilter looks terrible on <720p content.