High Quality Video Playback On Windows

Opcode

TBH the default settings the mpc-hc pretty much make all the anime i watch and movies look amazing. but when i put it on my tv it sometimes looked a bit weird and now this makes it look Amazing and smooth and the colors also look more vibrant only one problem!  every time i open a file i got a security warning.... so i had to disable the tray icon but once its set up there is no need to have it unless you need to constantly make changes.  thanks for this! 

That's quite easy to solve, you just navigate to your madVR folder and right click madHcCtrl.exe -> Properties. At the bottom of the first tab you should see a "Unblock" button, hit that and click ok. That will stop Windows from thinking the executable might be malicious (e.g. popping up the stupid run window). I will update the first post with a little "how to" so people don't face the same annoyance issue.

Guys, I don't really see any difference between this and VLC. I have downloaded 8-bit and 10-bit samples to ensure that everything is configured correctly.

Like? give me something.

American Dad, Phineas and Ferb, South Park, I watch a wide range of cartoons when I am bored and don't feel like watching a long movie.

Guys, I don't really see any difference between this and VLC. I have downloaded 8-bit and 10-bit samples to ensure that everything is configured correctly.

You can snag some screenshots of each player paused at the same exact frame and upload them to here.

Once you do that you can toggle back and forth in real time between the two to try and catch any differences.

Huh Wouldn’t have thought a different video player could have noticeable quality differences.. but hey I’ll probably try this out and see how it goes.

Thanks for providing a nice guide :)

Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz - 16GB DDR4 RAM - 980 ti

American Dad, Phineas and Ferb, South Park, I watch a wide range of cartoons when I am bored and don't feel like watching a long movie.

You can snag some screenshots of each player paused at the same exact frame and upload them to here.

Once you do that you can toggle back and forth in real time between the two to try and catch any differences.

Took you so long my friend.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

• 3 weeks later...

First and foremost you end up with a much more basic configuration that isn't packed with bugs like CCCP. Secondly, it gives you the freedom of setting things up the way you want them instead of being no different than a pre-configured LAMP stack. This also allows you to keep core components up to date rather than relying on a team to update the package. I could honestly create an installer package for all of this in about 5 minutes (without the problems CCCP has) if people are that technically inclined. Tho this isn't intended for those who are technically inclined to begin with so if you need to use an installer with everything setup for you, great. The primary goal here is to accomplish better video playback than other video players that aren't optimized for quality playback such as VLC.

I don't mind waiting for updates but would this look better than CCCP?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I don't mind waiting for updates but would this look better than CCCP?

One of the key components is madVR which handles the upscaling/downscaling. It's pretty much the whole purpose of using MPC-BE or MPC-HC. I was planning on updating the guide to use MPC-HC since it now includes LAV Filters as it's default codec package. Basically install MPC-HC x86 and then setup madVR like in the original post skipping all of the LAV Filters steps.

One of the key components is madVR which handles the upscaling/downscaling. It's pretty much the whole purpose of using MPC-BE or MPC-HC. I was planning on updating the guide to use MPC-HC since it now includes LAV Filters as it's default codec package. Basically install MPC-HC x86 and then setup madVR like in the original post skipping all of the LAV Filters steps.

Umm..is that a yes?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Umm..is that a yes?

Never used CCCP. It uses the same LAV Filters and everything else except madVR. You can give it a run for yourself and let us know if madVR makes that much of a difference. You can also tie in madVR to CCCP as well because of it using MPC-HC. Just copy over the madVR folder into CCCP install directory, register the renderer, and then tweak your settings in MPC-HC to use madVR. I think the biggest place madVR makes a difference is in it's upscaling and downscaling (e.g. running 720p movie on a 1080p display).

Excellent results in terms of sharpness and colour vibrancy. Screenshot attached with top image being the optimised one.

From top to bottom: MPC-BE (using aforementioned optimisations by op) vs VLC with CCCP.

post-163060-0-04767500-1416300483_thumb.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

Updated OP with new links (madVR dead link) and a link to a new build of MPC-BE.

Excellent results in terms of sharpness and colour vibrancy. Screenshot attached with top image being the optimised one.

What's the comparison between? Meaning which players.

I also noticed my colors were much better with this setup compared to other easy to use packages.

Updated OP with new links (madVR dead link) and a link to a new build of MPC-BE.

What's the comparison between? Meaning which players.

I also noticed my colors were much better with this setup compared to other easy to use packages.

This is between VLC (on the bottom) and MPC-BE (top) using the optimisations detailed in op.

Also I have CCCP installed for VLC

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

I don't have Output under Playback only DVD-Video, Capture, and Youtube. 

?

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Or you can download Kawaii Codec Pack that does all of this for you automatically and it can set up ReClock for you. It is also updated on monthly basis :)

Yeah I used to maintain a pretty popular video configuration guide many years ago (when it was needed) but stopped bothering when KCP became stable and good.

It does MPC-HC, madVR, LAVFilter and xy-VSFilter (or XvSubFilter in the test build) as well as optionally installing ReClock. It also has 5 different presets for madVR scaling.

Good job on the guide (very well formatted) but I think it's not really necessary these days.

under playback in settings there is no output section for me to set madVR up. whats up with this?

I followed the instructions.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

under playback in settings there is no output section for me to set madVR up. whats up with this?

I followed the instructions.

I updated the links with newer builds of MPC-BE so there might of been a change. Unfortunately I don't run Windows anymore so I cannot see what the issue is in order to update the guide. You can always roll back to an earlier dev build if need be.

I believe 5182 was initially the build I used for this guide.

Could you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Thanks for the information OP, I was using VLC until I saw this thread. 

With that said installing Kuwai codec pack is easier and better than doing the steps in this guide. 

I updated the links with newer builds of MPC-BE so there might of been a change. Unfortunately I don't run Windows anymore so I cannot see what the issue is in order to update the guide. You can always roll back to an earlier dev build if need be.

I believe 5182 was initially the build I used for this guide.

Could you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

sorry i havent been able to get back to u after a couple of days but here:

post-15957-0-26263100-1416698025.png

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

What's under DVD-Video?

post-109492-0-72410000-1416700732.png

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

What's under DVD-Video?

Seems like MPC-BE has changed quite a bit in newer nightly revisions. I updated my original post to download build 5182 which I know works with the guide.

'Output' has been changed to 'Video', but it looks like the same settings.

post-109492-0-69239400-1416702098.png

The quality of the output with this tutorial produces way clear and vibrant images than VLC :)

However it's almost the same output as setting up SVP.