Ubisoft Developers give the reason why games are downgraded

Lord_Kitty

Well at least PC exclusives aren't locked to crappy framerates. Most of the time when a PC exclusive game comes out it's a really well optimized game.......................most of the time.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

It's pretty reasonable to have console games running at lower FPS than PC games. You can't fit a good PC inside a console for an affordable price so, yeah, it makes sense.

Too bad they want to try to make PC games follow that same pattern because it makes no sense at all. Fuck G-SYNC, 120/144Hz monitors and all the rest. Nah, this is just bs, there's probably more money involving PC games than console games.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

Well at least PC exclusives aren't locked to crappy framerates. Most of the time when a PC exclusive game comes out it's a really well optimized game.......................most of the time.

Too bad so many games nowadays are shitty console ports

"Rawr XD"

The sooner Linux becomes mainstream on the desktop the sooner we can give Microshaft the middle finger Torvald style!

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

30FPS on PC?

are they trying to start a war?

Pretty much. They're trying to make PC look bad, so that people will still think that consoles are better. If everything was a perfect port onto PC there would be a lot less console gamers and a lot more PC gamers right now.

"Rawr XD"

I thought everybody knew this is why downgrading happens.

We knew it was for console parity. There were rumors that console makers where the one behind that. This is a confirmation of the rumors. No one was really sure before that, which ended up with Ubisoft getting all the flak for it.

The funny thing is that they're using PCs to showcase the game when it first came out.... Now if you pressure them to showcase the actual console version they get bad PR before the release of the game and lose sales... If they want to listen to console makers then showcase us the version they want. Your better off releasing the same game you showcase to us before its out, then releasing a downgraded version.

Though I would like to see developers pressuring the console makers to make a stronger performing console or tell them to f off, instead of console makers controlling them.

Don't devs get it? THEY HAVE THE POWER?! They should try doing what EpicGames(makers of UnrealTournament2014) is doing and just stop making console games due to outrageous demands like these, and optimize the game for PC, OSX, and Linux... Abandon consoles without the games, the consoles won't sell and console gaming WILL END they might lose some sales in the beginning but if they simply do it for a year or two then I'm sure Sony and Microsoft will realize they shouldn't fuck with gamers or devs and stop holding back the industry.

I thought that they already learned not to mess with gamers with the whole DRM bullshit... guess not.

You can't compare a psu to a steam box. 

No, but I'm talking the logic behind the reasoning. Android was built on Linux and Android devices are selling a ton.

I don't think that that's how it works. If Ubisoft stopped developing for consoles, they simply won't sell as many games.

It's a bit of a circular effect... Consoles sell because of games, Games sell because of consoles(or PC gamers)

I thought that they already learned not to mess with gamers with the whole DRM bullshit... guess not.

Agreed.

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

We will just unlock it.

That's great when it works without any horrible side-effects. But its up to the developers to decide how to code the game to handle framerates, and its also up to them to even give us those tools in the first place. Changing the FPS cap in Need For Speed: Rivals from 30 FPS to 60 FPS breaks the physics and causes the game to run at double speed, if I remember correctly.

Those concerns aside for a moment, has Ubisoft actually confirmed that Assassin's Creed: Unity, or any of their titles, will be locked to 30 FPS on the PC? They don't really have a history of doing that very often. While Watch Dogs was a pretty sketchy port, that mostly came down to its performance. It had no cap in place and had most of the customization we expect on PC. You'd be hard-pressed to say the PC version wasn't still a far superior experience to it on either console.

Hmm genius plan. Lock fps on pc on 24 fps with lots of tearing, no optimization, no settings, and consoles will sell like hotcakes.

Right?

FINALLY.

I suspected this for a long time.

IMO this makes total sense, what dev company intentionally cripples their games?

This links with what I said in another thread, a few days ago: (http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/229967-assassins-creed-dev-thinks-industry-is-dropping-60-fps-standard/)

To be honest, I'm not really sure who the blame here. It seems that, because the PS4 and Xbox One are underpowered in terms of their hardware, the game devs are having to make all kinds of excuses as to why the can't deliver a proper gaming experience to avoid being bashed by Sony and Microsoft. However on the other hand, the excuses that the devs are coming up with are just ridiculous, especially when they try to claim that 30fps is better than 60.

But, I do agree with what is being said here. (bring on the hate...) Here me out, the industry (Specifically the console game industry) is dropping 60fps because the consoles are underpowered, so in that sense, this guy is correct, it's just that the rest of his excuse is BS.

I expect towards the end of these consoles' life span, when games are better optimised, we will have games like this running at, at least 1080p 30fps, with the option for 720p or 900p 60fps, hopefully this will sort out all of this excuse making and lying.

So, as I suspected, Sony and Microsoft are to blame here, not necessarily the devs.

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

No they won't because it's linux based, one more platform to optimise for, it will make more problems than solve.

That's actually incorrect: If you develop for onpengl then it's almost the same version.

The issue is that Valve is fucking around with a controller too much and they should have launched by now

-------

Current Rig

-------

"That console makers are pressuring them into doing the same thing on PC."

I still don't understand, what does console makers have with Ubisoft. Aren't Ubisoft only owners of their games? How others can force them things they don't want? So it means Ubisoft is in Microsoft's hand, doing everything as Microsoft says... Horrible...

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Poor Ubisoft... their new excuse : "they are telling us to do so :_<..."

This is the worst excuse of them all, now Ubisoft has no control over their products! Points the finger at Sony and Microsoft!

UbiExcuses just can't take responsibility for their own products - this is fucking ridiculous.

Too bad so many games nowadays are shitty console ports

I really don't understand why devs make games for the consoles and then port them over. It should be a much easier task to just make it on a PC and then struggle later on to get it to run on a console. I mean the "next-gen" consoles are just PC's, they aren't using custom anything so just make it for PC and shove in a bunch of settings and stuff, run it on a console and cap the frame rate to 30, lower the resolution a bit and tweak the settings some and bang the game runs the same as it would if it was done the other way around. And it would run and look great on the PC at the same time. There is also the problem of why do devs choose to make a game for a platform where the gamers don't spend as much (assumption but I am probably right) and the devs get to make the game they wanted to from the very start instead of downgrading the experience which the dev really doesn't want to do because it boring to work on a game for 3+ years knowing it's going to look like ass when it comes out because they have to work on crappy hardware when instead they could work with no limitations or very little at that.

I think what I am trying to get at is the PC is master race and all the potato boxes should just fade away and never release a console ever again. It would be the best for everyone. How about don't just scales everything back and the same with the Nintendo and Microsoft and just make games for the PC and input devices. That way everyone wins because we all get better and more games with new interesting input devices along with it.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

And it would run and look great on the PC at the same time.

This is the problem. The console makers want the game devs to make it so that the PC games look and run the same as on console (if not worse, in games like Watch Dogs), so that console gaming can still stay alive, and so that the people in the console master race who don't know better can continue to think that consoles are more powerful and better then PCs.

That's how they make money. There's practically no profit involved in selling console hardware, most of the money they make is through the games, and with the game sales that PC gamers get to enjoy, it's a lose-lose situation for the console economy if a majority switch to PC gaming, so they're trying to keep as many people on consoles as possible.

"Rawr XD"

Also I'm not an expert but I always thought Linux was the easiest to develop for?

Well, it really depends on what you want to develop, and what tools you need.

Also DX11 is a far more mature API toward gaming.

Linux will have to start low, and work up. It will not be a day/night change, it might be more than a decade.

That's actually incorrect: If you develop for onpengl then it's almost the same version.

The issue is that Valve is fucking around with a controller too much and they should have launched by now

Yeah for opengl. Windows pushing directx and xbone also something similar to that. Also hardware drivers really do suck for linux.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

This is the problem. The console makers want the game devs to make it so that the PC games look and run the same as on console (if not worse, in games like Watch Dogs), so that console gaming can still stay alive, and so that the people in the console master race who don't know better can continue to think that consoles are more powerful and better then PCs.

That's how they make money. There's practically no profit involved in selling console hardware, most of the money they make is through the games, and with the game sales that PC gamers get to enjoy, it's a lose-lose situation for the console economy if a majority switch to PC gaming, so they're trying to keep as many people on consoles as possible.

They could potentially make more money if they just made games for PC and charged whatever anyone else was charging for their games. I personally dislike the way the Steam sales are done. If the sales happened a couple of years after a game had been released I would understand but sometimes there are games on Steam that go 75% off after a few months. I take advantage of knowing that and so do so many other people, I will wait for every game to come out on PC and then wait until  it goes on sale and then buy it so it cannot be very good for the PC gaming industry to do that. But then again I wouldn't have experienced as many games as I had otherwise. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

"That console makers are pressuring them into doing the same thing on PC."

I still don't understand, what does console makers have with Ubisoft. Aren't Ubisoft only owners of their games? How others can force them things they don't want? So it means Ubisoft is in Microsoft's hand, doing everything as Microsoft says... Horrible...

Exactly!

The news here isn't about console makers pressure, it's about Ubisoft cracking to the pressure - and by pressure it's not that Sony and Microsoft threatens to ban Ubisoft from the console platform - the pressure means money lol.

Ubisoft are just sellouts. 

Like you said and well: Horrible.

Yeah for opengl. Windows pushing directx and xbone also something similar to that. Also hardware drivers really do suck for linux.

The Nvidia drivers are pretty good for Linux. They don't perform quite as well but that is probably just because the gaming scene on linux isn't particularly mature compared to what it is on Windows. At least Linux has better support then OSX ever did and likely ever will.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

Console makers are pressuring to have pc also 30 fps locked? They want to start a war lol

well let's be honest, console makers want to be equal at somepoint.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

that console makers are pressuring them into doing the same thing on PC.

I don't buy that at all... if this is the case, how come every single other dev isn't doing the same thing?  I guess they might be "pressuring" them, but most other dev's aren't giving in...

I like it better when EA was the stupid and evil game dev... I don't play any EA games

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's