Ram kits 32GB kit or 2 x 16GB Kit.

Hi All,

I'm looking to build a system that will run with 32GB of DDR3.  The kit I'm thinking of will contain 4 x 8GB dimms.  However it's rather a lot of money!!  So I'm wondering if I can simply first get a 16GB kit running 2 x 8GB dimms and then at a later date get another matching kit to bring me up to 32GB.  Are there any issues with doing that or should I hang on and get the 32GB kit.  

Regards.

M.

There should be no problems as far as you are using the RAM at the same timings and speeds. The 32GB kits are validated to run with eachother.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

As what shroomster said there wouldn't be problems. if the 2x8 is cheaper then go for it  

CPU: I5 7400 | Motherboard: MSI H110M  | RAM: 16GB G-Skill 2400mhz  | GPU:  NVIDIA  MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970 | Case: Tecware Quad | Cooling: Stock| Storage: Kingston 120gb SSD, 1TB Drive ,  | PSU: Seasonic 620 Watt 80+ Bronze Full Modular | Display: Devant 50 Inch Smart TV   | 

you can buy 2x8 now and add 2x8 later no problem, as long as timings speeds and voltages are the same.

Then you will be totaly fine.

2 16GB kits would be a better bet purely from a warranty point of view. If one of the 4 die and you're in a 32GB kit, you need to return all of the RAM, not just the faulty module.

just get 32 GB. Its safer and, if your board supports it, quad channel is an option. If you buy used ram, which hardly degrades in quality/performance you can get 50% off. 

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

its offcourse also handy to know, about which platform we talk about here.

Just as a side note :)

It'll be running on a

Z97 MBD

i7 4790K CPU.  

Dual Channel DDR3 Ram  The memory I'm looking at is...

Kingston 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM Kit of 4 XMP HyperX Savage

They come also in 16GB Kits, so I might opt for 1 kit now and then another kit in a couple of months.

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's something to think about. 

Is there such a thing as 16GB x 2 sticks? I could only find the 8GB sticks. My motherboard only supports 8GB sticks up to 32GB total. Some motherboards support 16GB sticks but they do not exist in the marketplace yet. I suspect that DDR4 sticks will be where 16GB sticks appear. 

Is there such a thing as 16GB x 2 sticks? I could only find the 8GB sticks. My motherboard only supports 8GB sticks up to 32GB total. Some motherboards support 16GB sticks but they do not exist in the marketplace yet. I suspect that DDR4 sticks will be where 16GB sticks appear. 

There are 16gb ecc sticks, they are not supported by normal motherboards though.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

When I refer to 16GB kit, I mean 2 x 8GB sticks. so if I get 2 kits, that would be 4 x 8GB sticks in total. :)

• 3 months later...

When I refer to 16GB kit, I mean 2 x 8GB sticks. so if I get 2 kits, that would be 4 x 8GB sticks in total. :)

I'm looking to do the same thing with my ASUS Z97-Pro wifi using two Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8gb kits.