5400rpm SSHD vs 7200rpm HDD

peterpepo

Hello guys,

I am looking for new drive my notebook. I have narrowed my alternatives to these two, please don't tell me "buy SSD instead".

It's for notebook, the budget is already exceeded, so buying 500GB ssd is not possible.

Notebook is Lenovo Thinkpad E530, running Win7. Most of time, this is used to access internet, office, and watch some youtube, family photos and videos..

My two proposed disk. Which one would you choose, and why ?

5400 RPM Toshiba SSHD (8GB sshd)

http://www.alza.sk/toshiba-solid-state-hybrid-drive-500gb-d2143240.htm

7200 RPM Wd Black HDD

http://www.alza.sk/western-digital-2-5-black-mobile-750gb-16mb-cache-d455008.htm

If you don't need the extra storage, I'd suggest going with a sshd which is still much snappier than a non-ssd solution. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Get the 7200 rpm one, it's a high-performance one and should perform like the SSHD.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Will it be plugged in most of the time?  Etc etc, what are your use cases?  I would think the Toshiba would do you well, although WD Blacks do perform pretty well as well.  But the WD Black does take more power.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Get the wd black, i bought one for my buddy's build and its a beast.  sshd's can be faster but  you could get a boot ssd later when your budget is more allowing.

edit: actually after reading those links the sshd has more cache and would have a bit nicer speeds with the solid state storage.  I'd pay the extra 5.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

get the 7200 RPM 

(can you get an SSHD Hybrid? it might be in budget)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Since SSHDs generally only have 8GBs of onboard NAND, they're only good for fast boot times and frequently used programs. Good in theory, bad in practice.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Hi there peterpepo,

Both options have their advantages. The WD Black you've mentioned is a powerful and reliable drive. WD recommends it for gamers or creative individuals, because of its performance. It has a dynamic caching algorithm, which allows for the optimizing of cache allocation between reads and writes. This means that if there is more read traffic for instance, the drive automatically allocates more cache for read data, thus the performance is enhanced.

However, when you say that you'll need the drive mostly for normal everyday tasks, I was thinking that you might also like our Blue drives (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=800). They are the standard ones and should also fit your budget well.

Hope this helps,

Titania_WD

Hey all,
thanks for replies. I coudln't decide which one. But then I succeeded to agree with person for who this computer is, that ssd will be fine.
I bought 250 GB Samsung Evo 840 as primary hard drive. Then I bought a 1 TB External Hdd from WD.
It's bit over the budget, and summed cost equals to 500GB Samsung Evo, but I think, this way, we will get best of both worlds.

Fast and snappy operating systems and loading of frequently used data, and high capacity, reliable storage for data not so frequently used + regular backups.

:)

I did a quick google search on your machine and according to the lenovo spec site you already have a 16Gb cashing ssd, By that might just be an option on selected models. 

Well if it was my machine i would get rid of the dvd-rom and put the HDD there and then a small SDD for OS and programs, If that is not an option then i would go for the Toshiba sshd.

Main Rig: Intel Core i5 2500K @4.7Ghz, Noctua NH-U12s, Asus z68 V-Pro, Evga GTX 970, Samsung EVO 250Gb, Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600 MHz 16GB,fractal design define r3, XFX XXX 850W

Laptop: Clevo w230st, 13.3" 1080p screen,  CPU intel i5 4200M(Someone want's to donate a i7-4700qm? :P), 8gb ram 1600Mhz, Geforce gtx 765m, SSD: mSata Evo 120Gb(still room for one more), HHD: 1Tb 7200rpm, 

I did a quick google search on your machine and according to the lenovo spec site you already have a 16Gb cashing ssd, By that might just be an option on selected models. 

Well if it was my machine i would get rid of the dvd-rom and put the HDD there and then a small SDD for OS and programs, If that is not an option then i would go for the Toshiba sshd.

I think, that this is only for specific models of hard drives.

Before, there was WD Scopio Black 500Gb, which is so damaged, that it started "scratching". It sounds like header is touching platters. Pretty weird for hdd 1/2 year old.

I think, that this is only for specific models of hard drives.

Before, there was WD Scopio Black 500Gb, which is so damaged, that it started "scratching". It sounds like header is touching platters. Pretty weird for hdd 1/2 year old.

Sounds to me like the laptop got hit or moved while the drive was spinning. But cant you get a hdd on warranty if it's only 1/2 year old?

Main Rig: Intel Core i5 2500K @4.7Ghz, Noctua NH-U12s, Asus z68 V-Pro, Evga GTX 970, Samsung EVO 250Gb, Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600 MHz 16GB,fractal design define r3, XFX XXX 850W

Laptop: Clevo w230st, 13.3" 1080p screen,  CPU intel i5 4200M(Someone want's to donate a i7-4700qm? :P), 8gb ram 1600Mhz, Geforce gtx 765m, SSD: mSata Evo 120Gb(still room for one more), HHD: 1Tb 7200rpm, 

Something, Something SSHD.

Liked, not due to the post, but due to the signiture

Sleepy: |  R7 1700@ 3.7GHz (NHD-15) | MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic | GIGABYTE Windforce GTX 1080 | 16GB of RAM | 8TBs of HDD | 128GB SSD| S340 Tempered Glass | XFX 550w Bronze 80+ PSU | 40" 4K panel, and 3 1080p bois

Sounds to me like the laptop got hit or moved while the drive was spinning. But cant you get a hdd on warranty if it's only 1/2 year old?

Maybe, I will try to, but anyway - no time for being without laptop, and according to forums, Lenovo support in general is poor in Slovakia.

Then I really doubt, that they will accept hdd only, as I have to fix the laptop now, so I can't give it away for month or so.