To anyone with an Engineering degree

T.Vengeance

How do you determine which is the right field for you? Right now I'm in a first year mechanical engineering program but it isn't what I want to do. I have a ton of interest in Aerospace engineering and feel that Mechanical is too boring and general. However, there is still a lack of job opportunities in Toronto for an aerospace undergraduate. My university offers a B.Eng Aerospace degree and that is what I really want to do.

But because it is a different major, this semester (first semester) is the only semester with courses pertaining to all fields of engineering. Next semester is where some courses differ. So I have to make my decision by December 1st in order to avoid paying extra for Mechanical Eng. courses and going through courses that aren't relevant to Aerospace engineering.

How do you decide?

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

I don't do engineering but I have a lot of good friends who are. I can't imagine making such a significant decision about your future so early in your career! In my law degree I get to study a broad array of subjects through out my whole degree while all my engi friends are choosing their fields already!

It sounds like you're trying to decide between doing something you are really going to enjoy but with less job certainty and something you might not enjoy but with greater job certainty. For me this is a no brainer really. Do aerospace. This choice you are making is maybe going to dictate what you do for a long time to come, it's better that you do something you love than soemthing you don't. 

Most people with engineering degrees I know, fist do a generic engineering degree to have an idea of what they prefer the most and then they specialize in whatever field they prefer,

SuperNova: CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.6 GPU: Sapphire R290 Tri-x @1200, @1350, MOBO: MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, RAM: 16Gb HyperX Fury White @1866, PSU: CORSAIR TX750M, CASE: Arc Midi R2, SSD: Kingston 120gb SSD, 
COOLING:
H100i w/ 2x Nb eLoop 800rpm

Check out my build log Black Dawn Check out my build log Supernova

I would leave your options open for jobs and just stick with mechanical engineering. With that you can get anywhere really but with more specialized knowledge comes specialized positions which are hard to come by

Most people with engineering degrees I know, fist do a generic engineering degree to have an idea of what they prefer the most and then they specialize in whatever field they prefer,

Yeah that doesn't pertain to me. In my university, you start specializing in 2nd semester. They get right to it which what I love it and why I chose this university specifically. When I chose my university I was so sure about Aerospace. I applied for Mechanical knowing that it's a safe option but knowing that I could always transfer anytime within first semester. Now I'm having second doubts.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

I would leave your options open for jobs and just stick with mechanical engineering. With that you can get anywhere really but with more specialized knowledge comes specialized positions which are hard to come by

This is the reason why I'm having second doubts. And while I 100% agree with you, it's hard to shake the feeling of a "wishy washy" degree. You stay with the safe degree, and sure you get a lot of job opportunities. But my primary interest is aerospace. To say that an aerospace engineering firm would hire a mechanical undergrad over an aerospace undergrad keeping all things equal (gpa, capstone project impressiveness, etc) would be naive, would it not?

This is the reason why I'm having second doubts. And while I 100% agree with you, it's hard to shake the feeling of a "wishy washy" degree. You stay with the safe degree, and sure you get a lot of job opportunities. But my primary interest is aerospace. To say that an aerospace engineering firm would hire a mechanical undergrad over an aerospace undergrad keeping all things equal (gpa, capstone project impressiveness, etc) would be naive, would it not?

Its hard to say. Even with taking Aerospace you have a ton of knowledge. Im kind of in a similar position where Im thinking of becoming an aircraft mechanic but Im limiting my self with that. Like if I cant get a job working on planes whats left. Making 40k a yr working in some little auto shop doing oil changes? No thanks

Bump for any other thoughts please :)

As a former engineering student I would say to pick the major that suits your interest the most instead of worrying about job availability (to an extent). I started in Mechanical Engineering... Then switched to Electrical Engineering... Then switched to Computer Engineering... And am finally graduating with a Computer Science degree in a few months. It sounds like you can't switch nearly as much as I did but I would concern yourself more with what seems interesting to you. Engineers are normally in high demand so I can't imagine that you'd be too hard pressed to find a job if you widen your job location search. 

I'm not an engineer, but my wife is and here are her thoughts.

She would advice you to follow your interst and not do the safe thing. Even with an uncertainty in the job market, you will probably be able to get a job, even if it isn't in the field you majored in.

There is usually a somewhat high demand for engineers, so they'll take nearly anyone.

She is a contruction engineer if that means anything. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Yes, ME is a safe option but if your interest is in Aerospace, do not hesitate and change your major.

It's a mistake to study and work on something that you are not interest in.

Another route would be finish as a ME and work with an Aerospace company (I'm doing this currently) and expand your interest and knowledge.

It isn't hard to find a job with an Engineering degree but let me tell you this, MOST of my colleagues with ME degree works with Aerospace companies.

CASE - CM Storm Stryker, PSU - EVGA 1000 P2 80+ Plat, CPU - i7 4790K w/ NZXT Kraken X61, GPU - MSI GTX 1080 TI Seahawk X, MB - ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII, RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaw X Series (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600, SSD - SAMSUNG 1 TB, DISPLAY - ACER XB270HU + SAMSUNG S24C570HL

Mechanical Engineer checking in.

Aerospace is a very similar field. I would HIGHLY recommend that you stay in the mechanical program even if you want to go into the aerospace industry. A mechanical engineer can almost always do an AE's job, but an AE cannot always to an ME's job.

I went with mechanical for this very reason. 

Most of the classes between the two will be extremely similar. Both studies are going to have a Fluids, Thermo, Vibrations, FEA, and CFD classes as electives or requirements. These are all biggies in the aerospace industry and still taught to ME students.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Agree with a few here and will add. ME will give you more options and just because you're into Aero space stuff does not mean you'll end up there, life is very convoluted and you may have to make sacrifices to your career for other major life events/happenings. ME is not just about being safe its about having knowledge in many different areas to make you a more well rounded engineer. If you over specialize you'll be missing something you may need later. Even if you're hired as an AE being an ME will lend itself to you having a wider background and possibly being able to do something an AE won't or at the very least have knowledge of and boom you get the job or promotion/raise because you do.

Also, just because you major in something and finish, it does not mean you stop learning. Those that move on in life usually expand their knowledge in not only their major/career but go beyond to other areas to make them more valuable to a company and become more valuable to themselves.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.